FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Edit device names

<<

Sheist!

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:00 am

Edit device names

Even with the new 1.6 web console, still cannot rename devices that are found automatically.

I still have to use Serviidroid from my phone to edit device names. How does an unrelated product work when the Serviio itself cannot do this simple thing??

Thanks.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:47 pm

Re: Edit device names

I'm not aware this was raised, definitely there was not ticket for this. Why would you even need this? Also it would not work in all cases, as some devices don't have an ID and therefore your name wold be lost.
<<

Sheist!

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:44 am

Serviidroid accomplishes this first issue. Any device name works and sticks. Helps with visibility when you have multiple devices that need their own specific profile set, so it helps to know what "unknown device" is what. Serviio seems to do fine automatically populating with TV names and online status, so I don't need to rename them, as they always show with a green dot and whatever name the device is set with in the device, but other devices (that always work but NEVER show a green dot when they are on, like Samsung Blu-Ray home theater) always show only Unknown. If you know what IP you have given each device, you can tell what profile works for it, but I can't hide all unknown devices (like other laptops, which aren't used for Serviio, besides the one laptop that is only a Serviio server) since the Samsung blu-ray is the only device that always sees Serviio and always works without an error trying to pull up any folder. The Serviio device never disappears from Network list of devices, never fails to re-appear, never gives an error trying to pull up any folder, unlike the TV's.

Doesn't matter what I name the working blu-ray device... it always shows up offline, and it always works fine... when the TV's will not find Serviio at all.

One Samsung H series TV, one E TV, one H Samsung blu-ray.

All devices are ethernet wired.

On the TV's, the Serviiio Network device either does not show up, only shows up after pressing "advertise service" in Serviidroid, or changes appearance temporarily to a white "media server Serviio" or shows correctly with the yellow Serviio icon, then errors and disappears from the TV again. Attempting to open any video/audio category gets an error after 5 seconds that says "Request cannot be completed... will return to the main screen", or works intermittently then eventually fails back with that error. If I disable Base Filtering Engine service in Windows, the connection problems with the TV's go away and Serviio is fast, error-free and quickly/always present in the Network devices list of the TV's. When I enable it... all the problems begin with the TV's again, BUT never affects the blu-ray from using Serviio. (the same Samsung device that always shows unknown device, status unknown)

I see the 3 exceptions present (all TCP, all UDP ports) and enabled in Windows Firewall for Serviio... but unless I disable BFE, the issue affects Serviio versions 1.5 AND 1.6. I've removed/reinstalled several times in testing. Even if I disable the firewall, ALL firewalls... makes no difference. Only stopping BFE side-steps the problems with the TV's. I can even stop or disable the 5 dependent services of BFE, but only until I stop BFE itself does the issue correct itself.

Renaming the blu-ray device in Serviidroid does not fix the TV's at all, but it does help me know which device is what at a glance for the one device that works all the time among the other 2 unknown devices/laptops, one of which is the Serviio server.

I have been unsuccessful researching this in the forums and the internet, other DLNA platforms, any version... for any solution to the disconnecting TV problem. I'd rather not permanently disable BFE.

I should post the 2nd issue separately...
<<

LeJoKeR

Serviio newbie

Post Sat May 21, 2016 10:41 am

Yes, this would be helpfull to be able to rename those Device Name, some are name : MediaRenderer on my side, it's kinda boring..

Thanks

Return to User experiences