FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Bad metadata - Incorrect titles

<<

Inquisition

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:04 pm

Bad metadata - Incorrect titles

OK. So I'm new to this. Just installed, and right off the bat, I have TONS of incorrect titles. Read the set-up stuff, and checked to see if the files were tagged somehow. The file naming is simple--the name is the movie title; nothing more. Some of the incorrect titles appear multiple times for different movies, and some that may have been released in other countries, are named with the foreign release title. For example, "Pan's Labyrinth" shows up in the list as "El Laberinto del Fauno" and most of the Jet Li movies like "Legend Of The Red Dragon" have the original Chinese(?) title. These are movies that I ripped from DVD, and were not tagged (as far as I can tell). I searched here, and the only answers I have seen were to check the file names, or turn off metadata altogether. Can anyone help me?
<<

Inquisition

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:58 pm

Re: Bad metadata - Incorrect titles

So apparently, the metadata lookup has issues with parenthesis in file names. This should be fixed. The best way to identify a file, and there is no way to avoid duplicate file names (example: The Fantastic Four. There are 2 of these movies. The best way to tell them apart is to include the year in the file name).
Also, I have several titles that come in 2 parts. If I include "Part 1" and "Part 2" in the title (DUH!), the lookup is confused. And here's a head scratcher---There are also 2 movies titled "The Avengers". One is from 2008, and the other is the superhero movie. When I changed the file name to Avengers 2008, the metadata lookup logically added "Dora The Explorer" to the library! WTF!? How can it be SO wrong, given the file name?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:08 am

Re: Bad metadata - Incorrect titles

Adding the year (within parentheses) will usually result in correct metadata identification. However, every once in a while it just seems to get confused. There is a sure fire way to get the correct metadata, and that is to use the IMDB identifier. See this page http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=imb ... ata_naming for further information.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to User experiences