FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Blu-Ray DLNA recommendation?

<<

Matt2112

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:47 am

Blu-Ray DLNA recommendation?

I'm looking for a recommended player to purchase. I have an old Samsung wired player that works so-so.... I have it connected to my WiFi with a repeater, but the signal is weak, so I'm getting disconnects.

I tried buying a newer Samsung model (BD-J5700), but it only displayed my folders, not any of the media. I'd rather not keep buying and returning players to test them. I'm looking for a WiFi enabled Smart Blu-Ray player that's a bit on the cheaper side. I really do not want to spend more than $75 since I'll use it mainly just to stream mkv to my bedroom TV. Netflix functionality is a bonus, but not a deal breaker.

I looked through the pinned topic in this forum and mostly see TVs listed, so I was unable to find a recommendation there.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Matt
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Re: Blu-Ray DLNA recommendation?

Sony BD players seem to work well with DLNA servers. However, Sony (and others) have reduced their support in one area: HD audio. I always forget which way it is with my current Sony player, but I believe it's that TrueHD will pass to my AVR, while DTS MA only passes the lossy DTS core. But like I said, I might have it backwards. Hell getting old! :lol: Even Oppo, as high end as they are, will not pass the TrueHD or Atmos bitstream. They do claim that they may add it in the future.

There's always the option of using a streaming player, if actually playing BD discs isn't an issue. The Nvidia Shield will play almost everything without transcoding, and will pass HD audio bitstream. But it's not inexpensive. Roku also has a number of players that work well with Serviio, although at this time they don't pass HD audio at all.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Matt2112

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:50 am

Thanks! I'm going to look into a Roku... I've seen the name for a while now, but never really looked into it. I can't remember the last time I actually played a Blu-ray Disc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:35 am

Matt2112 wrote:Thanks! I'm going to look into a Roku... I've seen the name for a while now, but never really looked into it. I can't remember the last time I actually played a Blu-ray Disc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the moment, there's only a single Roku profile in Serviio, and it transcodes far more than necessary for the latest players. New profiles are under development, but I can't say when they'll be ready. All that means for now is that your computer will have to work harder then it really needs to for streaming to a Roku. It would likely only be noticeable with HD material. Transcoding my DVD rips never made my test server break a sweat, even before I updated it.

If your media is already in the proper format for a Roku (MP4, MKV, MOV container, H.264/MP4 video codec and ac3/aac audio codec), then transcoding isn't necessary at all, regardless of HD/SD material.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

Matt2112

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:49 pm

I bought a Roku Streaming Stick, but a lot of my files have no sound when playing them. I found a thread where there's discussion about a new profile for Roku, so I posted something in there...

I'm really hoping there's a way to get this working soon, because I think the Roku Streaming Stick is a good solution for me, if I can get files with AC3 audio to play correctly.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21421&p=112603#p112603
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:23 pm

I wrote you something in that post. :D
Dan

Return to User experiences