FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New Serviio user has a major question ...

<<

TinaTitan

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:47 am

New Serviio user has a major question ...

Hy everybody
First of all, I use Serviio in the moment only for audio streaming.
I have running a Serviio server on my QNAP NAS (approx 20000 tracks) and a second Serviio server on my miniPC with Windows 10 (approx 10000 tracks).
Now I see on my UPnP player both Server and I have to choose, whitch content I want to play. The tracks from the QNAP NAS or those from the miniPC. Is there a possibility to connect the Library for example on the miniPC with the Serviio Library on the QNAP NAS? So, that I can connect to one server, but I can play all tracks from both server?

Please help.

Thank you
Tina
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:56 am

Re: New Serviio user has a major question ...

Yes, your media does not have to reside on the device running Serviio. The media location just has to be shared with the network. When you add this shared folder, you use a UNC path, rather than a drive letter (i.e. \\nas_device\media\ instead of H:\media).

The single biggest issue with doing this is ensuring Serviio has permission to access your networked location. By default, Serviio runs with a system account that usually has limited networking permissions. The simplest solution is to change the account that Serviio uses to the same account you log into the computer with.

How you configure it will depend on which device you want to use as your primary Serviio source (NAS or PC). If you want to use the NAS as your primary, then sharing your Windows media location and giving read permission to everyone (and probably the Guest account as well) should be enough. If you want to use the Windows PC as primary, then changing the Serviio user account is simplest.

If you decide to add videos to you library in the future, it might be best to use the PC as your primary. If your media player doesn't support your media, transcoding will be necessary, and most NAS storage devices don't have sufficient CPU power to transcode video. They can usually handle audio fine.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

TinaTitan

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:19 am

Thanks for the fast reply
I want to use my PC as my primary Serviio, so I tried it with a symbolic link (mklink) to my NAS. But it didn't work.
You got me back on the track! It were only the missing rights on the NAS. I gave read rights for everyone and now it works. With the symlink it works even with drive letter too!

Thanks again
Tina
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:06 am

TinaTitan wrote:Thanks for the fast reply
I want to use my PC as my primary Serviio, so I tried it with a symbolic link (mklink) to my NAS. But it didn't work.
You got me back on the track! It were only the missing rights on the NAS. I gave read rights for everyone and now it works. With the symlink it works even with drive letter too!

Thanks again
Tina

Excellent, Enjoy!
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to User experiences