FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Pioneer N30AE/N50AE/N70AE w/o DLNA support

<<

Sheriff Hobbes

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:16 am

Pioneer N30AE/N50AE/N70AE w/o DLNA support

The new line of network players from Pioneer doesn't (officially) support DLNA any longer. The "DLNA certified" logo has gone from the website, from the data sheet, from the user guide, from everywhere. Not even the word "DLNA" is mentioned a single time. Since the AE-series shouldn't be that much different from the former A-series, it will probably still work, but you don't get support for it.
Could this be a sign of the indutry for a growing disinterest in DLNA?

Like I wrote here, the new Yamaha NP-S303 is completely useless for people using DLNA servers. Another sign that confirms this trend.

I sent the Yamaha back and got the Pioneer N-70A. That's the best piece of hardware I had so far in terms of compatibility with Serviio. Together with the N-50, which I also own, it's the only device where the pause/resume function is working, and it's the only device where the cover art is displayed (doesn't show on N-50).
Marriage is a three ring circus:
-engagement ring
-wedding ring
-suffering

H. L. Mencken
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:45 am

Re: Pioneer N30AE/N50AE/N70AE w/o DLNA support

Many companies are letting their DLNA support wane. Samsung supports it, but it appears to be a halfhearted effort. My Sony Blu Ray players all used to bitstream both DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD. My latest one only bitstreams DTS-MA and reports unsupported codec for TrueHD. Sony has never displayed cover art. Panasonic seems to have dropped support as well.

I believe the best support available right now at a reasonable price is the Nvidia Shield player, using Kodi or another player app. There are also some more expensive products from Popcorn and others that still do a good job.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to User experiences