FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Testing with Samsung LN52A850

<<

gustavoas

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:14 pm

Testing with Samsung LN52A850

Everything seems to work fine: once files have fourcc marked as xvid everything played fine, with FF and RW ok, thumbnails ok as well. My music videos are classified as Movies so this cause a little mess but I guess it's not a bug but a new feature request to have music videos separated. Subtitles do not work but I believe this is a limitation of the TV firmware.
Put transcoding in it together with music video classification and it will be perfect!
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:25 pm

Re: Testing with Samsung LN52A850

Thanks for the feedback,

at the moment I can separate between series and non-series (which I call Movies). I don't know any way how to distinguish between music viseos and other videos, unless we agree on some kind of file naming convention.
<<

jabb

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:13 pm

one option is declare the whole directory as container for 'movies' or 'music' or another kind of genre ...

about the subtitles ... the stream is delivered to the client 'as is', so the functionality depends on your client, only. if you are thinking about external subtitles file, and your client support them, this functionality can be implemented on server side easy (downloaded to the client as another resource #?), but must be supported by the client, too.

PS: for example, my Viera TV is looking for such file with the same name as video file has, but another extension
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:32 am

jabb wrote:PS: for example, my Viera TV is looking for such file with the same name as video file has, but another extension

I don't think this is possible because the TV has no idea what your media file name is. Samsung does it by sending preceding HTTP request to the media file itself asking if there is a caption file. Serviio looks it up in the file system and if found returns its content in the response.

I'd like to know how Viera is doing this, could you run packet sniffer? I'm interested on the request header values and the response form (e.g. mime-type).
<<

jabb

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:39 pm

I am out of home for few weeks ... i will do it for you as soon as possible

generaly if control point, build in TV, gets information about url of video source via content directory service of serviio, it knows also, where to look for the external subtitles ... (the 'same url', another extension)

TV do it via out of box communication, so device sniffer is not the right tool
<<

jabb

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:53 pm

i read yours post ones more :-), yes, you are right, the url does nothing with 'real' file name, so samsung does it the same way, as panasonic. it try to ask the streaming http server for 'name of source'.ext, where ext is srt, sub ... I thing so, we are talking about the same approach
<<

sdoverkill

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:34 pm

gustavoas wrote:Everything seems to work fine: once files have fourcc marked as xvid everything played fine...

Can someone explain what having fourcc marked as xvid means and how to accomplish it?

Thanks,
<<

djay

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:50 am

Yeah that would help me as well
<<

gustavoas

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:19 pm

I use the program AviFourCCChangerX to internally flag the file as xvid. I'm not an expert on this so don't know what it represents exactly but it works :-)

Return to User experiences