FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Samsung TV UA40C6900VF + Linux Debian Lenny amd64

<<

dakka

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:33 am

Samsung TV UA40C6900VF + Linux Debian Lenny amd64

I installed this yesterday and I was totally blown away! After messing about with other products I had almost given up on connecting my linux box to my tv. But then I stumbled onto serviio. It took me about 3 mins to download, install and get a few files up and running on the TV.

Seriously nothing even came close to this. I tried a whole bunch of stuff that either wouldn't install or would simply not display any content no matter how many changes I made to config files and supposed profile files for my TV. I am still having a few issues, but I am hoping they will be resolved. At worst I anticipate a work around to fix my issue (folders the same name but different volumes buggers up the DB).

I also have an issue with some 720p+ mkv encodes not getting synced to the library and subs won't work. This is minor though since most of my stuff works and as a last resort I still have my HDMI cable connected from my PC to my TV. So yea I love this product and I am very grateful that you decided to share this with the world <3

So my Setup:
Hardware:
cpu[4 x AMD Phenom(tm) 9550 Quad-Core Processor (AuthenticAMD) @ 2.20GHz]
mem[Physical 8GB]
disk[Total: 2.3TB
video[nVidia Corporation GeForce 8300]
sound[HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia]
network[1GB network adapter]

Software:
os[Linux 2.6.26-2-amd64 x86_64] distro[Debian 5.0.4]
ext3 Volumes[I have 2 volumes: / and /home]
NTFS Volumes[3 NTFS volumes, 2 have movies, 1 has tv shows]
Samba shares[2 samba network shares, one has music the other I use for graphics]

I am yet to try and add a samba share to see if this even works. For now I am too scared to mess up my DB. So once i work out my directory library issues, I may backup the DB and give it a go, just for the hell of it. If you require more info on my setup feel free to PM or ask in this thread.

Thanks!
<<

Dan_M

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:22 am

Re: Samsung TV UA40C6900VF + Linux Debian Lenny amd64

Hi Dakka,

I am a novice when it comes to linux. Do you mind sharing your step-by-step in getting Serviio to run on your Debian Lenny amd64? Is there anything else needed, such as Java DRE etc, apart from serviio itself.

Thanks for any help you can give.
~ Dan.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:24 pm

serviio, FFmpeg and java are required.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

maltmoose

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:04 pm

Hi, not sure if this helps but the default ffmpeg package in ubuntu didnt work correctly with some rss feeds and transcoding so i compiled ffmpeg as per the instructions on the serviio wiki.

so you should check that out the wiki
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:09 pm

maltmoose wrote:Hi, not sure if this helps but the default ffmpeg package in ubuntu didnt work correctly with some rss feeds and transcoding so i compiled ffmpeg as per the instructions on the serviio wiki.

so you should check that out the wiki

:) yep that correct default ffmpeg on unbuntu is old very old and wont work so that why update info was added to wiki :) to help resolve this but maybe the ubuntu community need to ask them to update there repo so that step isnt required?
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging

Return to User experiences