FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Comments on 0.3 release on Mac OS 10.6.2

<<

TexasMan

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:56 pm

Comments on 0.3 release on Mac OS 10.6.2

Just a couple of comments and first impressions having just downloaded and installed on my iMac which was previously running 0.2 release:

Not really crazy about the separation into two separate applications as it did seem much more efficient as one. Also I did notice the Serviio app (not the console) seems to take a really long time to launch although it does eventually.

The only suggestions I can make at this point as I haven't yet had a chance to try it out extensively would be to run the Serviio app as a background process launched automatically when the console app is launched perhaps?

Thanks as always for this and I realize it is a 0.3 release but your application has made it actually possible for us Mac users with Samsung TVs to actually use the DNLA capabilities. I've tried all the others out there and this is the only one which works for me.

Congats Petr!
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Comments on 0.3 release on Mac OS 10.6.2

I realize the separation works best on Windows ... if Mac users have other suggestions how to run this (e.g. after your mac starts) I'll be happy to implement that, I'm not a Mac expert.

Nevertheless it had to be done to allow future extensions - if you look at most of the other servers they also have a server bit and a UI client (should it be a web site or desktop app).
<<

TexasMan

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:16 pm

I do realize the reasoning as I did peruse your release notes and please understand I'm simply relating from a user standpoint. I still think having the UI launch the other automatically (or when the server start button is pressed) would allow the best of both worlds. I've been a Mac user for over 20 years and used to manage a group of graphic artists where we ran our own network, FTP server, etc. and I'm just expressing that the behavior is a bit, well, different from most other apps on the Mac platform.

Either way, my thanks are sincere and I'll certainly continue to use your application as none of the others I tried worked (Rivet, TVersity, etc.).

Oh, at this time, if a user wishes to start the Server at startup they can add it to their Login Items in Account Preferences in their System Preferences. This will launch the Server when they log in or restart the system. For myself, I prefer to start it when I actually need to stream something but, for now, that would be an option. The Console could also be added if wished.
Last edited by TexasMan on Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

zip

Post Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:20 pm

How would a DB server work? I presume it starts when Mac boots up? This is similar. On the other hand after you've set up your shared folders etc you don't really need the console, just run the server and you can stream.
<<

gustavoas

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:26 pm

Yeah, I didn't like the split either. Not really a big deal, I did included the server to be triggered during start up but don't know how to hide it from the dock (icon stays there even if I try to hide it). That's annoying but if I could choose I would rather implementing transcoding rather than changing this.
BTW, I'm curious to understand how you serve the thumbnails to the Samsung TV. Apart from the cataloging functionality (amazing here) this is the other feature PS3 Media Server doesn't have. :-)
<<

gustavoas

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:15 pm

Just to share, I found a little app that allows to hide the server from the dock:
http://homepage.mac.com/fahrenba/progra ... kless.html

Basically it adds the following code into the info.plist file (within the .app Contents folder)

<key>LSUIElement</key>
<string>1</string>

This hides the application from the dock but keeps it running in background. Maybe this could even be a default option on server? I just tried it with the console and although the command was supposed to hide the menu bar option it has also worked fine hiding only the dock icon :-)

I'll setup the Serviio server to start with the system and run in background but leave the console to manual activation. Now I'll look for a way to trigger the server only when I start the console, that would make it even better for me!
<<

zip

Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:51 pm

Could someone look into using launchd for starting the server? I'm not a Mac person, but maybe some of you are ;-)

Return to User experiences