FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

YUP it works for me on Mint 10

<<

Mugwump

DLNA master

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:30 pm

YUP it works for me on Mint 10

I just upgraded to Mint 10rc and have some good news for the users of Serviio.

I can create DVD iso files with Brasero then extract them to get at the vobs. Serviio will read and send the VOBs to my Samsung tv. 8-)

To launch the server I just made sure to install the ffmpeg libs and full (Sun/Oracle) java. Then I just created launchers to run Serviio and the console

Screenshot.jpg
Desktop Launchers for Serviio is easy on Mint no stupid windows style "start" menu entry is needed!
Screenshot.jpg (80.58 KiB) Viewed 6728 times

The routing is wifi from an IBM T42 running Mint Linux then streaming the MPEG data to my router then by cat5 directly to a Samsung 5000 series LED tv. The really great news is that wifi streams of data are not having serious dropout. And that I can stream video with 5.1 audio MPEG with no drop!

Here is a link to show what Mint and Serviio is capable of doing with ease.http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=131643

Here is another with more detailed info and a much better screen shot of how to stitch vob files together with the command line and how much resources Serviio uses to stream a full 5.1 MPEG with Linux. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58388

Great Stuff

Now on to figuring how to stream internet radio and YouTube! I have not been able to wrap my
<head>
<xml> around that </xml>
setting up working xml.config files in Mint 10 yet!
</head>
Guess why? :?

Thank you for making a really great java dlna client available for Linux!
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:05 pm

Re: YUP it works for me on Mint 10

Thanks for a great post.

Regarding internet streaming, Serviio doesn't support it yet - but not sure it that's what you meant.
<<

Mugwump

DLNA master

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:31 pm

What I was wanting to do is stream internet radio and perhaps even video (YouTube for example) to a real dlna certified client device like the Samsung tv I own

...finding out where and how firefox uses a .mplayer temp file is real a pita. And I suspect the different protocols like .asf wma would cause the samsung allshare to choke even though the allshare says it supports it. I cannot even get my windows 'puter to stream or play fair even though WMP is supposed to be a dlna server. Typical considering the source of the software. You know change protocols to make it only work with an XBOX or the usual crap from our friends in Redmond!

Besides I suspect I would need to have Serviio constantly updating to fetch the correct tv requests for the files ..because they will constantly change.

Harrumpf ???? after considerable (for me) thought and as an after thought (post edit)

what I could do is have different instances of Serviio set up running from /home/eric/programs. That way Serviio 1 could do all the local harddrive stuff and Serviio 2 could stream back only internet streams to the local net dlna device. No reason why this would not work as my initial Serviio is installed in this manner an all I would have to do is create a sub directory in /programs to make the different Serviio instance use a different config file! Fortunately making separate launchers to different instances is child's play in Mint.

In Linux there is usually an easy way to do things that the poor underprivileged windows can only dream of!

I was not thinking about streaming stuff to anywhere other than my local net.

Just to clear things up.

Thanks
Last edited by Mugwump on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it ain't broke....just let me have a crack at it!
<<

zip

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:43 pm

there are couple of things to do, like this: http://bitbucket.org/xnejp03/serviio/is ... ntegration
<<

Mugwump

DLNA master

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:58 pm

Thanks again

I don't expect everything to work.... Heck I am running an RC OS! on my laptop. What you have created is great as it is.
If I were a better xml-java coder I would pitch in and help.

Though I can see some of what is going on with the xml config files atleast on Linux. I am not beyond trying something and then commenting it or ripping it out if necessary. Thank goodness I do not even have to sudo to do it with your software!
<<

zip

Post Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:17 pm

there is no possibilty to stream internet sources via Serviio at the moment. you cannot just configure it, it needs a considerable amount of development and I hope to do something for 0.6
<<

Mugwump

DLNA master

Post Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:59 am

zip wrote:there is no possibilty to stream internet sources via Serviio at the moment. you cannot just configure it, it needs a considerable amount of development and I hope to do something for 0.6

OK just another idea... the implementation might be easier with multiple instances of the server running simultaneously. I cannot see why the directory scan settings could not be different for two separate instances of the .jar Provided they index to different folders and do not clash or clash cache in other ways. If I remember correctly the assignment containers in the interpreter allow for this and will provide different buffers in the sandbox automatically if necessary. I haven't done any serious stuff in years (since 1999) but this should still be the case. I guess I should download the IDE and see how things have changed...just for old times sake.

Just my two cents ...which is all its worth sometimes.
"the Mugwump"
If it ain't broke....just let me have a crack at it!

Return to User experiences