FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Newbie on a Mac with a few questions Sony BDP-S370

<<

milocoon

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:59 am

Newbie on a Mac with a few questions Sony BDP-S370

Hi everybody I`m running a Mac on OSX 10.6.4 and using Serviio 0.4.2 with an Ethernet connection from my router to a Sony BDP-S370 and then viewing the output via HDMI on an LG LCD TV.
Brilliant bit of software I`m able to play audio tracks from itunes, view photos from a folder and for me most importantly play MKV from my hard drive.
I`ll list my experience to date
Library on Mac the GUI on the Sony shows me 3 folders for Image, Audio and Video for each Media type which is a little confusing when you first see this, maybe in a later version this can be changed so that there is only one folder displayed for each media type (in the Console it says monitored so maybe this is meant to be).
Metadata on Mac means I can see thumbnails for photos only, for Audio you get a generic music icon and for MKV files a generic Divx icon of a piece of film frame again this isn`t important but could be changed later.

Anyhow my main queries are about MKV and transcoding, I have tried a selection of MKV files so far and if I select Display on the Sony remote it lists the data rates, I presume that the Audio Rate is in the top right corner and the Video is in the bottom Left corner.
AVC is the Video type listed in the Sony GUI in all MKV files I`ve played so far.
DTS 5.1 Ch 48kHz tracks give "Audio Format not supported" on the Sony GUI but then this disappears and the movie plays fine with 1.5Mbps
Dolby Digital 5.1 play fine with no error message
Files that play perfectly without stuttering are typically well under 30Mbps Video and on my Mac the activity on the HD shows a maximum data rate of 1.7Mb/sec (13Mbps)
A File I have that stutters during some parts of the film was getting above 30Mbps and on my Mac the activity on the HD shows a maximum of 3.0Mb/sec (18Mbps)
One other file that stuttered had an audio rate which was rapidly changing so I suspect that was the problem.

What would be the best options for MKV files that stutter which are hitting above 30Mbps ?
Here is the troublesome MKV file exiftool data

ExifTool Version Number : 8.35
File Name : MyMovie.1080p.X264.MKV.AC3.DTS.NLSubs.mkv
File Size : 8385 MB
File Permissions : rw-r--r--
File Type : MKV
MIME Type : video/x-matroska
EBML Version : 1
EBML Read Version : 1
Doc Type : matroska
Doc Type Version : 2
Doc Type Read Version : 2
Timecode Scale : 1 ms
Muxing App : libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0
Writing App : mkvmerge v4.3.0 ('Escape from the Island') gemaakt op Sep 5 2010 10:30:51
Video Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Video Frame Rate : 23.976
Image Width : 1920
Image Height : 800
Display Width : 1920
Display Height : 800
Track Name : MyMovie.DTS-HD.MA Core_1509kbps
Track Default : No
Audio Codec ID : A_AC3
Default Duration : 32 ms
Audio Sample Rate : 48000
Audio Channels : 6
Track Number : 4
Track Type : Subtitle
Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
Track Language : dut
Image Size : 1920x800

1) Could I remux this MKV (V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC) ? If so what should I remux to ?
2) Could I transcode ? How do I transcode ?

Thanks Milocoon
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:56 am

Re: Newbie on a Mac with a few questions Sony BDP-S370

Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:06 am

milocoon wrote:Library on Mac the GUI on the Sony shows me 3 folders for Image, Audio and Video for each Media type which is a little confusing when you first see this, maybe in a later version this can be changed so that there is only one folder displayed for each media type (in the Console it says monitored so maybe this is meant to be).

Yes confused too, I hope Zip could change in future version...
milocoon wrote:Metadata on Mac means I can see thumbnails for photos only, for Audio you get a generic music icon and for MKV files a generic Divx icon of a piece of film frame again this isn`t important but could be changed later.

Yes, I confirm that thumbnails are only supported with photo. Its a Sony limitation, wait some upgrade...
milocoon wrote:Files that play perfectly without stuttering are typically well under 30Mbps Video and on my Mac the activity on the HD shows a maximum data rate of 1.7Mb/sec (13Mbps)
A File I have that stutters during some parts of the film was getting above 30Mbps and on my Mac the activity on the HD shows a maximum of 3.0Mb/sec (18Mbps)
One other file that stuttered had an audio rate which was rapidly changing so I suspect that was the problem.
What would be the best options for MKV files that stutter which are hitting above 30Mbps ?

I also have this issue, no workaround now...

milocoon wrote:1) Could I remux this MKV (V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC) ? If so what should I remux to ?

Yes could be remux : MPEG2-TS AVC/h264 video with AC3 Audio
milocoon wrote:2) Could I transcode ? How do I transcode ?

Yes could be transcode in MPEG2-TS MPEG2 Video with AC3 Audio
To start, you could have a look on this support web page
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

tombert

DLNA master

Post Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Hi,

I do have similar troubles with HD videos ... in PS3 Media Server there is the possibility to reduce the video quality on-demand (see http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtop ... 141&p=9180).
I had to set it from "insane" to "good quality" in order to play smoothly ... so I would like to suggest such a feature for serviio as well.

thx
<<

tombert

DLNA master

Post Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:59 pm

I proposed a new feature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1020

Return to User experiences