FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Skip ahead problem with transcoded files

<<

scrambler

Serviio lover

Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:08 am

Skip ahead problem with transcoded files

I am definitely having a Skip issue with transcoded file on the LG BD570

First question: Is skipping ahead in a video being transcoded supported by Serviio and DLNA clients ?

If yes, has anyone using an LG BD570 successfully done that: Play a file that needs transcoding, use the INFO/DISPLAY button on the Player to skip ahead a minute or so, and have the video jump to the new location and start playing again.

As far as I am concerned, when I skip ahead, I get the rotating icon that tells me to wait (normal), but then when the Video would normally start playing from the new location the player freezes.

Attached is a log file that shows the following (I inserted spaces between the key periods):

Up to 17:36:23 Serviio is starting
Up to 17:37:53 I start the Player
Up to 17:40:18 I play an Avi file that does not need encoding, I do a skip ahead without problem, then stop the playing

Then at 17:45:21 I start playing a wmv file that needs transcoding (Dante’s Peak)
About 10 seconds in the playback, I try a skip (around 17:45:30) The log file shows an I/O error connection reset.

After that the player is frozen, and Serviio seems to continue the transcoding.

EDIT: The I/O error does nor seem to be relevant, I did another test where I let the player play the transcoded file for 5mn before doing a skip of 1mn, so the transcode would get ahead of the skip locaion, but when I skip it still freezes, and the log file does not show any error, just a continuous transcoding. It really looks like Serviio does not get the skip request, so may be it is just not possible to skip in a file being transcoded in a DLNA configuration ...)

If anyone can shed some light on what could be going wrong and if there is anything I can test or change in the configuration I would appreciate it.

I am using the following instruction in the transcoding profile.
<Profile id="8" name="LG BD player" extendsProfileId="1">
<DeviceDescription>
<FriendlyName>A-Serviio ({computerName})</FriendlyName>
<ModelName>Serviio Media Server</ModelName>
</DeviceDescription>
<Transcoding>
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" targetVCodec="mpeg2video">
<Matches container="asf" />
</Video>
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video">
<Matches container="mpegts" vCodec="vc1" />
</Video>
</Transcoding>
</Profile>
Attachments
serviio-Skip problem.zip
(20.5 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
<<

scrambler

Serviio lover

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:45 pm

Re: Skip ahead problem with transcoded files

Does Nobody knows if Skipping ahead in a file being transcoded is supported by Serviio and DLNA Clients?

Thanks
<<

Octalus

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:39 pm

I also noticed this problem and after a while trying around... i noticed that the mpegts is noch skippable (because its a stream at all)
When i transcode to mpeg with mpeg2video i can also play it with my tv but its possible to skip/pause/resume now.

hope this helps?
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:47 pm

Fast Forward works ok with the Sony DLNA client, so I suspect it's more of a renderer issue than a Serviio issue.
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:13 pm

scrambler wrote:...First question: Is skipping ahead in a video being transcoded supported by Serviio and DLNA clients ?

I think yes but depending probably to the skipping gap.
When transcoded, the file source is in the temporary directory and is transcoded on the fly, not necessarily completed I mean.
When the skip is on an "area" not transcoded, probably there were a timeout on the renderer because server do not serve the movie yet (at time).

scrambler wrote:After that the player is frozen, and Serviio seems to continue the transcoding.

Yes because, when serviio starts to transcode a file, it stop only if another movie is launched or stops when the file transcoding is completed.

Sorry for my poor english
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

scrambler

Serviio lover

Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:43 pm

Octalus, I tried to transcode to mpeg2video both with the mpeg container and the mpegts one and in both cases after a few second of searching it freezes, so no luck for me there,

Illico. I actually tried to let it transcode most of the file before doing a skip of a couple of minutes to make sure the place I was skipping to was transcoded, but it also freezes.

The player does not seem to be talking with serviio properly to restart the playback.

Thanks for the answers though
<<

tombert

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:55 pm

Skipping works with my Sony TV and mkv files - no problems ...
<<

scrambler

Serviio lover

Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:34 pm

Are they being played directly, or do you have Serviio transcoding the files to mpeg2?

The issue is with files being transcoded by Serviio with ffmpeg for playback on the device.
<<

tombert

DLNA master

Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:45 pm

you're right.
I tried now with avi and skipped 10 minutes - it stucks and stops playback. ... but when I pause ... and then skip a few minutes it works.
<<

scrambler

Serviio lover

Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:10 pm

Thanks, so it seems that skipping ahead of the transcode does not work, but skipping within the transcode should but does not on my config, so serviio and my bd570 are not speaking well with eachother :roll:

Return to Transcoding