FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Weird colored frames in transcoded MKV files

<<

Batmensch

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:41 am

Weird colored frames in transcoded MKV files

I'm using a recent Mac mini with an i5 and 4 GB of RAM. My Blu-rays are ripped with MakeMKV. These files play fine in VLC, but when I stream them with Serviio (all versions, including lasted which I updated with the latest version available on 6/24/14) the file plays fine except every few seconds I get a few frams of nonsensical color trash, as though an iframe has been dropped. My non-MKV files work fine. Some MKVs, when the AVC video peaks framerate between 20 and 25 mbps, plays ok; the bad ones generally run 30+ mbps and throw a few psychedelic frames every few seconds, although the sound doesn't seem to be interrupted.

The serviio server is a mac mini, 4 GB of RAM and an i5 core2 processor, should be enough firepower I should think. Playback is on several devices, including a PS3 or a Sony Google TV device; same problems on both. All devices are on wired gigE, should be plenty of bandwidth. Disk array is a Drobo 5D, the latest thunderbolt connected RAID device, which allows the MKVs to play the files perfectly on the local machine, or even when accessed over wifi networking using VLC from a remote mac laptop.

Anything I can do? None of the devices will play these MKV files without transcoding, so I really need this to work. It seems like the Serviio process can't keep up with the framerate, even with some fairly hefty hardware backing the process.
<<

Batmensch

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:44 am

Re: Weird colored frames in transcoded MKV files

I can confirm that Plex can play these files without issue, from the same serving computer, through the same network, to the same clients. There's something odd about MKV playback with serviio.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:37 pm

Re: Weird colored frames in transcoded MKV files

Normally it will only remux the video stream for these profiles, so it doesn't touch the video stream. Plex probably transcodes it, which might fix something in the stream that your devices don't like.

Try it with the DirecTV profile.

Return to Transcoding