FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Samsung BD-D5700 (close, but audio stops dead)

<<

GuruSR

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:13 pm

Samsung BD-D5700 (close, but audio stops dead)

Code:
<Profile id="D5700B" name="Samsung BD-D5700" extendsProfileId="1">
   <!-- http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/filetypes.html

The following types of files can be played under  (Video).
      Memory Stick Video Format
       - MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
       - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
       - MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
      MP4 file format
       - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
      MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
      MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
      MPEG-2 TS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AC3(Dolby Digital), AAC LC)
      MPEG-2 TS (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
      AVI
       - Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
       - Motion JPEG (mu-Law)
      AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)
      DivX
      WMV
       - VC-1(WMA Standard V2) -->
      <Detection>
         <UPnPSearch>
            <FriendlyName>(^TV-\d{2}C\d{3}.*)|(^\[TV\][A-Z]{2}\d{2}(D)[A-Z]?\d{3,4}.*)|^\[TV\] Samsung</FriendlyName>            
            <ModelNumber>(1\.0)|(AllShare1\.0)</ModelNumber>
         </UPnPSearch>   
         <HttpHeaders>
            <!-- for BD players -->
            <User-Agent>(.*SEC_HHP_BD-[CD].*)|(.*SEC_HHP_\[(HT|BD)\][CD].*)</User-Agent>
         </HttpHeaders>
      </Detection>
      <MediaFormatProfiles>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/divx">AVI</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/x-ms-wmv">VC1_ASF_AP_L1_WMA</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/x-ms-wmv">VC1_ASF_AP_L2_WMA</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/x-ms-wmv">VC1_ASF_AP_L3_WMA</MediaFormatProfile>
         <MediaFormatProfile mime-type="video/mp4" name="">MPEG4_P2_MP4_ASP_AAC</MediaFormatProfile>
      </MediaFormatProfiles>
      <Transcoding>
         <!-- Transcode all h264 video with HIGH/MAIN > Level 4.1 on MPEG-TS stream with MPEG2VIDEO and ac3 audio transcoding -->
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="mp2" aBitrate="192" forceVTranscoding="true">
            <Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="high" levelGreaterThan="4.1" />
            <Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" profile="main" levelGreaterThan="4.1" />
            <Matches container="avi" vCodec="dvvideo" />
            <Matches container="matroska" vCodec="vp8" />
            <Matches container="*" vCodec="h265" />
         </Video>
         <!--
            remux MKV with any video to MPEG2TS and possibly change audio to ac3, also AVI and FLV with H264
         -->
         <Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="mp2" aBitrate="192" forceVTranscoding="true">
            <Matches container="matroska" />
            <Matches container="avi" vCodec="h264" />
            <Matches container="flv" vCodec="h264" />
            <Matches container="3gp" vCodec="h264" />
         </Video>
            <Matches container="wtv" />
            <Matches container="asf" vCodec="mpeg2video"/> <!--  dvr-ms -->            
         </Video>
         <!-- all other unplayable files just transcode to mpeg2 -->
            <Matches container="flv" />
            <Matches container="ogg" />
            <Matches container="3gp" />
            <Matches container="asf" vCodec="mpeg1video"/> <!--  dvr-ms -->
            <Matches container="asf" vCodec="vc1" aCodec="wmapro"/> <!-- only 2 channel audio is natively supported -->
            <Matches container="asf" vCodec="wmv2"/>
            <Matches container="rm" />
         </Video>

<Audio targetContainer="lpcm" aSamplerate="24000">
            <Matches container="flac" />
            <Matches container="ogg" />
            <Matches container="adts" />
            <Matches container="wavpack" />
            <Matches container="mp2" />
            <Matches container="mpc" />
               <Matches container="ape" />
         </Audio>
      </Transcoding>
      <OnlineTranscoding>
            <Matches container="mp4"/>               
             <Matches container="applehttp" vCodec="h264"/>
         </Video>
            <Matches container="asf"/> <!-- to support mms:// streams -->
         </Video>
         <!-- PS3 doesn't like mp3 with unlimited duration (eg online mp3 streams or streams transcoded into mp3 -->
         <Audio targetContainer="lpcm" aSamplerate="24000">
            <Matches container="mp3"/>
            <Matches container="flv"/>
            <Matches container="asf"/>
         </Audio>
      </OnlineTranscoding>
      <LimitImageResolution>false</LimitImageResolution>
      <AutomaticImageRotation>true</AutomaticImageRotation>
   </Profile>

What's there is: Samsung BD-D5700, wired to a Gigabit switch (not that it matters), streaming from the PC using that above profile. The audio/video run through a Yamaha system that does a ton of stuff (it's not a low end unit), what I'm seeing when a streaming starts is, the audio and video are fine, but a few seconds in, the audio drops (as in to the point that the decoder on the Yamaha goes off showing no signal to process), then it comes back and off again, so it's got something to do with either the audio or the video stream is too large, or an issue with the server itself. 1.5.2 is in place, but to get any audio I have to force a downmix to stereo or I get a "blip" of sound at the start (about 1/10th of a second) and then the rest is gone.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to remedy this? Been working on it for a few months now and this is as sane as I've gotten it. Now this is playing HD content (720i to 1080i), it will *play* it, the higher frame rate and resolutions tend to stutter a bit, but that is expected, but on both, the audio just dies on and off. The decoder on the Yamaha literally says there is no data to decode during these periods, which to me, means the stream is missing audio (flat lined).

GuruSR.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:10 pm

Re: Samsung BD-D5700 (close, but audio stops dead)

Are you sure the Samsung supports MP2 audio? Any particular reason for using it instead of AC3? Personally, I'd remove the targetAcodec completely and let the native audio passthrough. Then if you find specific files that won't play, add a transcoding line that meets that particular audio format.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

GuruSR

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:47 pm

I tried taking that out and now for some unknown reason, any mpeg/ts files simply fail to be recognized using that or any profile. It's a finicky system at best, I'm just trying to make it useful, as I'd really like to get the profile so it converts every file type to what a bluray player can typically play (720i).

I put the original back and restarted the service/ui and still no change, nothing is recognized. Any thoughts?

GuruSR.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:04 pm

How about using the original lines, except change every MP2 to AC3? Since it was working (kinda) with the original lines, this should still work. I can't believe the BD player wouldn't support AC3 over DLNA. Every device I've tried supports AC3.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

GuruSR

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:21 pm

atc98092 wrote:How about using the original lines, except change every MP2 to AC3? Since it was working (kinda) with the original lines, this should still work. I can't believe the BD player wouldn't support AC3 over DLNA. Every device I've tried supports AC3.

Actually, it's not the issue. Well, right now any mpeg/ts file doesn't seem to want to work at all after I tried it, but I do know that the BD will only do SD formats (480i-ish) at best, and I'm trying to push 1080i through it, the problem is not the decoding on the BD side for audio (that I can tell). I tried using the original profile and it still failed to work (guess a system reboot is needed to undo Serviio changes in profiles and not just stopping the service).

Anyways, the player will play AC3, but whats happening is the streamed data seems to lose audio (in chunks). The video seems to play "okay" and the audio seems to work for about 3 to 5 seconds and then it goes off (totally, no sound, dead stream) for a second and then back on and then back off. So I figured the encoding is "off" for audio in a way that the BD just can't either keep up with the stream or doesn't understand it fully. If I ignore the sound, it's fine video wise, but the audio just won't stay playing. That and figuring out how to get the BD player's settings to return to normal after a profile switch on the server.

GuruSR.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:41 pm

My only experience with Samsung BD players was a H series, and it played almost everything I had without transcoding. Of course, newer version than yours. What annoyed me (to the point I replaced it with a Sony) was that it wouldn't pass the HD audio bitstream through to my AVR. What's the point of ripping my HD video and not keeping the HD audio?

It's unbelievable that a BD player won't support HD DLNA streaming. All the necessary hardware is there. But it could be the same reason mine wouldn't pass HD audio. They just went cheap on it. My personal advice is to get a different brand of BD player, or at least a new model.

One thing I'll mention. I was having an issue with some playback on my TV (not through the BD player) and discovered I had a bad Ethernet cable. Nothing appeared to be wrong with it, and it still connected to the network. But something was feeding back into the network and causing issues with devices that were not on the same cable. I replaced the cable and suddenly my issues went away. It's unlikely this could be your problem, but you have to pass along what you find. ;)
Dan

<<

GuruSR

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:25 am

atc98092 wrote:My only experience with Samsung BD players was a H series, and it played almost everything I had without transcoding. Of course, newer version than yours. What annoyed me (to the point I replaced it with a Sony) was that it wouldn't pass the HD audio bitstream through to my AVR. What's the point of ripping my HD video and not keeping the HD audio?

It's unbelievable that a BD player won't support HD DLNA streaming. All the necessary hardware is there. But it could be the same reason mine wouldn't pass HD audio. They just went cheap on it. My personal advice is to get a different brand of BD player, or at least a new model.

One thing I'll mention. I was having an issue with some playback on my TV (not through the BD player) and discovered I had a bad Ethernet cable. Nothing appeared to be wrong with it, and it still connected to the network. But something was feeding back into the network and causing issues with devices that were not on the same cable. I replaced the cable and suddenly my issues went away. It's unlikely this could be your problem, but you have to pass along what you find. ;)

Well, I'm doing this for someone else, my BD-D5700 decided it was going to turn on/off all by itself (repeatedly), so it was basically "dead" (yet alive and then no, and it's all it did). I'd love to get a "transcode everything regardless" profile into Serviio to see if I can transcode it to something simple enough that an Atari 2600 could play it (okay, not that far back, but you get the idea). Annoyingly enough the USB in the front only allows music and pictures, video is out. As for a new one, I've suggested it as the Youtube plugin that was working, is no longer on that device (due to Google's most recent updates) and even though it was an account based version, it won't connect at all, so they may need to find a new one. And I'm sure it's not the cable as it was properly wired via gigabit cabling less than a month ago.

GuruSR.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:20 pm

Interesting. I replaced my Samsung BD player because it was randomly turning itself on in the middle of the night, which in turn powered up my TV and AVR. Very annoying to be woken up at 2AM with the TV playing! I like the HDMI control function too much to disable it, so the BD player had to go. :lol:

I believe the DirecTV profile transcodes everything, but I don't know what format it transcodes into. That might be a good one to test with.
Dan

<<

GuruSR

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:31 pm

I'll try the DirectTV one today, as I'll be there shortly to try it.

Yes, I can understand your complaint about the control, his hasn't done it yet, but I know if it goes on, it'll turn the tuner on and the TV and yes, that would be a rude awakening, thankfully his hasn't started doing that yet, wish mine hadn't.

GuruSR.

Return to Transcoding