FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What is the recommended HW for transcoding?

<<

masik001

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:05 pm

What is the recommended HW for transcoding?

I'm running serviio on a lenovo t430 notebook, having a i5-3320M cpu with 8 gigs of RAM. I can transcode any movies, however, when transcoding, i got huge CPU utilization, causing ~90°C/195°F CPU temperature. Should I get more HW ? Or is it something with my cooling ?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:54 am

Re: What is the recommended HW for transcoding?

That's not unusual for CPU load while transcoding. My guess is your issue is using a laptop, which usually doesn't have enough cooling for extended high power operations.

I see two options, without resorting to hacking up the laptop to improve cooling (although you might make sure all the cooling openings are clean by blowing compressed air through them).
You could convert your existing files into a format that doesn't require transcoding. Without the need to transcode, Serviio requires very little CPU power.

The only other option I can come up with is to build another computer to be your Serviio box. Something with even a smaller desktop case or small tower would still have space for a couple of cooling fans.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:36 am

Re: What is the recommended HW for transcoding?

atc98092 wrote:...although you might make sure all the cooling openings are clean by blowing compressed air through them
+1

The biggest culprit is lint build up (ever you your laptop on your lap, in the bed, on the carpet or on a couch :-) between the fan and the heat sink. Give the compressed air a go, or failing that you may have to take it to someone to pull apart and clean out (or if you're confident, do it yourself - some are easier than others).
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.

Return to Transcoding