FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Transcoding issue with WTV files

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:34 am

Transcoding issue with WTV files

Using the standard Samsung H series profile on my JU set. I previously had WTV transcoding working, but after a clean install it now gives a playback error. Here is the FFMPEG command line Serviio is sending:

Code:
2015-11-10 16:16:10,298 DEBUG [ProcessExecutor] Starting C:\Program Files\Serviio\bin\\..\lib\ffmpeg.exe -fflags +genpts -threads auto -i D:\Movies\Werewolf in a Girl's Dormitory (1961).wtv -y -threads auto -c:v copy -c:a copy -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -sn -f mpegts C:\Windows\TEMP\Serviio\transcoding-temp-123-sam_h-ORIGINAL.stf

And of course, if I rename the file with an MPG extension I can play the file on both the TV and computer. Any ideas why it's not working? Attached is a portion of the log, in case there's something besides the command line that is throwing it off.

Here's the media info for one file, but none will play:
  Code:
General
Complete name                            : \\Media\d\Movies\Werewolf in a Girl's Dormitory (1961).wtv
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 2
File size                                : 1.92 GiB
Duration                                 : 1h 14mn
Overall bit rate                         : 3 671 Kbps

Video
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 2
Format profile                           : Main@Main
Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
Format settings, Matrix                  : Custom
Format settings, GOP                     : Variable
Format settings, picture structure       : Frame
Duration                                 : 1h 14mn
Bit rate                                 : 3 671 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 3 334 Kbps
Width                                    : 704 pixels
Height                                   : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps
Standard                                 : NTSC
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Interlaced
Scan order                               : Top Field First
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.362
Time code of first frame                 : 00:00:00;00
GOP, Open/Closed                         : Open
GOP, Open/Closed of first frame          : Closed
Stream size                              : 1.92 GiB (100%)
Color primaries                          : BT.601 NTSC
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.601
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.601

My gut feeling is that something has changed between the H series and J series. No idea what.
Attachments
serviio.log
(455.5 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:13 pm

Re: Transcoding issue with WTV files

OK, here's another one. Here's the FFMPEG command:

Code:
ffmpeg.exe -fflags +genpts -threads auto -i D:\Movies\Alias Jesse James (1959).wtv -y -threads auto -c:v copy -c:a copy -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -sn -f mpegts C:\Windows\TEMP\Serviio\transcoding-temp-10-sam_h-ORIGINAL.stf

When Serviio runs the command, it must be failing. I can run the command myself, and the entire file is transcoded in less than 30 seconds. If I change the file extension to MPG, I can play the video on my computer as well as on the TV with Serviio.

The only difference between my manual execution of the command and Serviio's is that I enclose the file name in quotes because of the spaces in the name. However, Serviio can transcode the file just fine to other players, such as my Roku or Visio E Series TV. Why is it only failing on the Samsung? I also have other files with spaces in their name that are not WTV files, and Serviio can transcode them for the Samsung just fine.

In the past, I had WTV files working just fine, but I forgot to save the profiles file with the changes I made, and now have no idea what I did. This should be working, and I'm completely puzzled by this. I had to remove some of the early lines in the log, as it just barely exceeded the 500k size limit.

As a reminder, this is my Samsung JU7100 using the Samsung H series profile.
Attachments
serviio.log
(476.6 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:02 pm

Try to change

Code:
<AllowChunkedTransfer>false</AllowChunkedTransfer>

to

Code:
<AllowChunkedTransfer>true</AllowChunkedTransfer>

in the sam_h profile (or if you have a custom j profile)
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:09 pm

Zip, tried it on my test server, no luck. I'll try the main server tonight, since they're on different versions of Serviio.

When you suggested that, I seem to remember you had me change that before, but can't remember the reason. Maybe this was the reason! :D
Dan

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:23 pm

Tried my main server, same result. File error when playback is attempted.
Dan

<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:33 pm

Seems your first post shows both the mpg and the stf always failing on playback thru Serviio. "[WebServer] I/O error: Connection reset by peer: socket write error"
This contradicts your statement " If I change the file extension to MPG, I can play the video on my computer as well as on the TV with Serviio.
Your second post only shows the stf failing. The mpg was not tried.

So it seems the ffmpeg command did not fail and the transcoded file renamed to mpg plays on your computer but fails on your TV when sent by Serviio.

I would suggest posting the ffmpeg output for the .mpg file which works on your computer, and also try playing it directly on the TV via USB.

You also have not indicated if this problem exists with all wtv's or just these 2, nor have you posted any info on the audio which may also be the cause of the failure.
<<

zip

Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:15 pm

In my mind the Samsung TVs have not been designed to play transcoded files (ie files with unknown file size) because their own AllShare server doesn't transcode.

So it's quire possible that at some point it'll stop working, especially if the J series changed operating system (now on Tizen, AFAIK). It's hard for me to fix if I don't have one here to play with.
<<

jhb50

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:59 am

That does not explain why the transcoded file renamed to .mpg does not play via Serviio on the TV. It looks like it also fails with [WebServer] I/O error: Connection reset by peer: socket write error
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:50 pm

jhb50 wrote:That does not explain why the transcoded file renamed to .mpg does not play via Serviio on the TV. It looks like it also fails with [WebServer] I/O error: Connection reset by peer: socket write error

The renamed stf file (to .mpg) will play on the TV via Serviio. I didn't include a log that shows that. It's only while trying to transcode that it fails. It was working before, but my own fault for not saving a copy of the Profile file before I updated Serviio. :oops:

I can't connect to my MediaBrowser from work (they seem to be blocking my DDNS URL at the proxy), so I'm opening it on my iPad over 4G to see if it plays there. Can't seem to get a WTV file to play there either. I'll have to try from a home computer to ensure it's not an iOS issue. I can't seem to get anything to play right now with Media Browser on the iPad. :(
Dan

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:53 pm

zip wrote:In my mind the Samsung TVs have not been designed to play transcoded files (ie files with unknown file size) because their own AllShare server doesn't transcode.

So it's quire possible that at some point it'll stop working, especially if the J series changed operating system (now on Tizen, AFAIK). It's hard for me to fix if I don't have one here to play with.

Yes, starting with the 2015 Samsung sets, they are all using Tizen now. Like I mentioned, it was working before on this set. And other transcoded files will play, although I'd have to search to see what others require transcoding. Just wish I could remember what it was. I could have sworn it was the Chunked command!
Dan

<<

zip

Post Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:56 pm

I had a J TV for a week and only managed to get subtitles working. Transcoding is currently no-go. First they didn't properly implement time-based DLNA seeking (included a hack for it), but even then they make weird requests to the server and eventually give up failing the file. So it looks like the TVs can't cope with transcoded files.

Unless someone can find a working server to give me some guidance what the TV expects.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:21 am

zip wrote:I had a J TV for a week and only managed to get subtitles working. Transcoding is currently no-go. First they didn't properly implement time-based DLNA seeking (included a hack for it), but even then they make weird requests to the server and eventually give up failing the file. So it looks like the TVs can't cope with transcoded files.

Unless someone can find a working server to give me some guidance what the TV expects.

Dang. I had it working before I updated to 1.5.2, but I can't remember what it was that fixed it. I really thought it was the chunked transfer. I'll try some more on my test server.
Dan

Return to Transcoding