FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Aspect ratio issues when transcoding MKV to Samsung DLNA

<<

el_smurfo

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:17 pm

Aspect ratio issues when transcoding MKV to Samsung DLNA

I have Serviio and BubbleUPNP server running on my PC. I am using the Android BubbleUPNP app to cast transcoded MKV video to the Samsung 1080P TV. These MKV are freshly ripped from my DVD collection, but when cast to the TV, they appear with black letterboxing on all 4 sides which distorts the aspect ratio of the movie. I've seen mention of "profiles", but can't figure out how to set it up for my TV.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:45 pm

Re: Aspect ratio issues when transcoding MKV to Samsung DLNA

Profiles are set on the Status tab of the Serviio console. There is a grid that shows discovered IP addresses, the device name as identified via DLNA, and the profile Serviio has selected based on the device identification. However, because not all devices identify themselves clearly, there are times Serviio cannot/does not select the correct profile. You then have to manually assign it.

You didn't mention your TV model number, but for Samsung there are currently 5 different profiles, with a 6th coming with the next version. If Serviio didn't identify your set at all, it has the generic profile, which does no transcoding. The newer the TV, the less need for transcoding (usually), so if your set isn't brand new it probably needs some transcoding.

I've also seen the aspect ratio problem with the wrong profile as well, so that's the first place the look.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

el_smurfo

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:54 pm

atc98092 wrote:Profiles are set on the Status tab of the Serviio console. There is a grid that shows discovered IP addresses, the device name as identified via DLNA, and the profile Serviio has selected based on the device identification. However, because not all devices identify themselves clearly, there are times Serviio cannot/does not select the correct profile. You then have to manually assign it.

You didn't mention your TV model number, but for Samsung there are currently 5 different profiles, with a 6th coming with the next version. If Serviio didn't identify your set at all, it has the generic profile, which does no transcoding. The newer the TV, the less need for transcoding (usually), so if your set isn't brand new it probably needs some transcoding.

I've also seen the aspect ratio problem with the wrong profile as well, so that's the first place the look.

Thanks for the response. The TV is a UN55D6050 and definitely does not support MKV without transcoding. I am not in front of the console but I seem to recall the profile was Samsung C/D?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:52 pm

That should be the correct profile. The next thing to try is enabling detailed logging and play the file. Then post the log here so we can see if there's something odd about the transcode command. Also post the media info about the file.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

el_smurfo

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:35 am

atc98092 wrote:That should be the correct profile. The next thing to try is enabling detailed logging and play the file. Then post the log here so we can see if there's something odd about the transcode command. Also post the media info about the file.

I've looked all over the serviio app, how do I enable logging and how do I post video data?

The properties of the mkv state 720x480, but I assumed it would transcode to the proper resolution of the TV?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:04 am

See the link in my signature for instructions on detailed logging. For media info, you can either use a program called MediaInfo (Windows) or run FFMPEG from a command line with the -i command.
Dan

Return to Transcoding