FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Is Transcoding always on when activated?

<<

sampath.mamilapo

Serviio lover

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Is Transcoding always on when activated?

Hi,

I wonder if Transcoding is always on when activated or only if the device one wants to stream to does not support the file format?

I have different DLNA clients. Samsung TVs basically play every format so they don't really need Transcoding. Still I have Transcoding active all the time to support other DLNA clients that support much less then Samsung TVs.

My question is: is Transcoding also active when I stream to my Samsung TV? Can I somehow check if the file played on the Samsung TV is transcoded or not?

Thanks,
Sampy
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:17 pm

Re: Is Transcoding always on when activated?

no transcoding is only on when required. please raed the FAQ page as they answer alot of common questions :) ( see my signiture for a link )
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:31 pm

sampath.mamilapo wrote:Can I somehow check if the file played on the Samsung TV is transcoded or not?

You can enable detailed logging and then you'd see if a file is delivered natively or using transcoding.
<<

sampath.mamilapo

Serviio lover

Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:11 pm

I would be nice to have an extra Column in the Renderer Profile JTable. This column just holds and icon that says if Serviio is stream to a certain device (green) or not (red) or if it is streaming+transcoding (blue).

Another column showing the approximate data-transfer-rate (MBit/sec) for each connected device would be nice. You can just use a special Stream that counts the data sent to a certain device.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Sampy
<<

Alex Atkin UK

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu May 05, 2011 2:04 pm

I agree that if possible, more statistics of what is going on could be useful particularly when trying to diagnose playback problems.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Thu May 05, 2011 5:28 pm

Alex Atkin UK wrote:I agree that if possible, more statistics of what is going on could be useful particularly when trying to diagnose playback problems.

you can set your log file to display Detailed and then that information is availible, and in my opinion that better than cluttering up the console that is there for purely setting up serviio and then never running again :)
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging

Return to Transcoding