FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Transcoding settings - a bit of advice

<<

kdp99

Serviio lover

Post Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:35 pm

Transcoding settings - a bit of advice

I have recently added a Freeview HD box to my Serviio set up. Using the Generic profile it plays AVI files OK, but not MKVs that most of mine are (720p AC3). I have got some info form the maker on what it supports.

I was hoping that I could use transcoding to use it to play the MKVs, and that the process would be :

a) Copy the generic profile to a new one and associate this with the box
b) Make some changes to the new profile to effect transcoding

Am I correct in a) and if so I would appreciate advice on the changes needed for b) as I am not up to speed on that.

Many thanks in advance

The Box is a Sagem RTI95
When I contacted their support about supported files they said,

The RTI95 box will only playback the videos in the formats that I mentioned in the previous email.

- Avi
- MP4
-mpg
-mp4
-wmv
-wav
-DivX
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:02 pm

Re: Transcoding settings - a bit of advice

What you posted are containers, not the actual video and audio types. I did a quick search and could not locate a list of supported codecs. Based on the list you quoted here, I would guess that it supports MPEG2 video, and perhaps AVC (that is used often in the MP4 container). There's also an MP4 video codec, and WMV usually uses WMV2 or WMV9 video. Your AVI files are likely MPEG2 video. The generic profile does no transcoding, so whatever plays using that is what your player supports.

As to what profile might work, I believe that the DirecTV profile transcodes almost everything to MPEG2, but I'm not in front of my computer so I can't look at the profile to be sure.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

kdp99

Serviio lover

Post Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:01 am

Many thanks, act98092 for the help.

I thought that those file types were not what we needed, but it was all I had from support, I have asked if they have a CODEC list.

I changed to the DirecTV profile and it does play the MKVs, which was great.

I need to have a play around with some sound settings, but after that and when I hopefully have the CODEC list I may be back for a bit more advise.

Thanks again.
<<

kdp99

Serviio lover

Post Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:57 am

The directTV profile is working OK thanks.

Two further points

1 Video transcoding
I can't get any help from the devices makes, but other users suggest the supported CODECs are DivX and XVID based AVIs.

Should I make anty changes to the directTV profile in light of this, I have read the information on transcoding
and the principlas are fine, but as to what to do to the syntax, I am a bit at a loss.

2 AUdio
The MKVS I have used are all AC3 (another DNLA devices and Media Player classic confirm this), but I only get 2 channel
using the DirectTV profile. I have ticked the appropiate boxes in the Serviio COnsul to leave the audio as it is but I sill
only get 2 channel. I had a play with a few edits in the audio section of the profile - but did not really know what I was doing, and could not get AC3.

Any help most welcome
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:04 pm

You're getting stereo from this: forceStereo="true". That's in the Video transcoding line. Remove that and you should get multi-channel. I also just noticed that the profile is using MP2 as the audio output. Change that to AC3 and see if it works. I'm not sure that MP2 supports multi-channel.

If you're getting good video from the DirecTV profile, I'd leave the video portion alone. It appears your device supports MPEG2 video, so stick with it. :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

kdp99

Serviio lover

Post Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:38 pm

Thanks (again) for the advice, I thought I had tried the things you mentioned when I was playing about, but might have made an error, I will try it exactly as you suggest over the weekend, and post back the results.
<<

kdp99

Serviio lover

Post Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:11 pm

I am slowly coming to the conclusion that the Sagem does not support 5.1 when acting as a media player (it does when acting as a freeview HD box), I have tried a variety of audio transcoding settings (one profile example below), and although the test files are 5.1, and play in 5.1 on Samsung Blu-ray deck as the media player when attached to the same sound system, the Sagem refuses to give anything more than 2 channel, I can't be 100% sure as the makers will not reply to the CODEC question etc.

Thanks for the help.

<Profile id="SAGEM" name="SAGEM RTI95" extendsProfileId="1">
<Detection>
<HttpHeaders>
<User-Agent>.*DIRECTV.*</User-Agent>
</HttpHeaders>
<UPnPSearch>
<FriendlyName>^SAGEM.*$</FriendlyName>
</UPnPSearch>
</Detection>
<Transcoding>
<Video targetContainer="mpeg" targetVCodec="mpeg2video"