Post Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:28 pm

Roku Stick Audio Issues

Just bought a Roku Stick to replace my 2 XS. It's as powerful as the Roku 4, except it doesn't support 4K video. I can stream a 30 Mbps HD video without issue, so transcoding isn't necessary for my HD videos.

However, I ran into a snag when plugged directly into my older Panasonic ST30 TV. First, I noticed that using Netflix I was only getting 2 channel PCM, which I believe is a limitation of the TV (not supporting 5.1 out the optical connection from devices plugged directly into the TV). However, when I tried to play my Serviio content I could not get any audio, regardless of the codec within the file. I can understand the HD audio not passing, but I have many DVD rips with standard AC3 audio that were mute.

I tried using the Roku profile which is included with Serviio, as well as my customized Roku 4 profile which doesn't limit the bitstream. I can post that profile if someone would like to see it.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents