FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Perhaps a stupid question about Transcoding

<<

jcferraz

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:45 am

Perhaps a stupid question about Transcoding

Hello.

I'm using Serviio with a Samsung Series K SUHD. I have the Transcoding option unchecked so to my understanding Serviio sends the file raw and is my TV the one that decodes video and audio. Am I right?

Because there is no Samsung K Series Profile jet I'm using Samsung J profile. Even with Transcoding unchecked, the profile tells Serviio what to transcode or all the content is sent to my TV without transcoding no matter what?

Thanks all and please forgive me if those are silly questions. I have tried to find the answer before posting.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:19 pm

Re: Perhaps a stupid question about Transcoding

If you uncheck the Transcoding box, it is my understanding that the transcoding sections of the profile are ignored.

In my experience with Samsung products, their DLNA functionality is lacking. While my JU Series will play almost anything without transcoding, I still seldom use it for DLNA streaming any longer. I instead use my Sony Blu-Ray player or Roku 4. Sony implements DLNA far better than Samsung, and the Roku is great as long as the files are supported. The only drawback of the Roku is it supports so few video codecs. Since so many of my videos contain MPEG2 video, they all have to be transcoded.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

jcferraz

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:59 pm

Thanks very much.

I'd like to use H.265 and 4K capability of my TV as my computer is old enough to have probems decoding such big files. That's why I don't want tanscoding.

atc98092 wrote:If you uncheck the Transcoding box, it is my understanding that the transcoding sections of the profile are ignored.

In my experience with Samsung products, their DLNA functionality is lacking. While my JU Series will play almost anything without transcoding, I still seldom use it for DLNA streaming any longer. I instead use my Sony Blu-Ray player or Roku 4. Sony implements DLNA far better than Samsung, and the Roku is great as long as the files are supported. The only drawback of the Roku is it supports so few video codecs. Since so many of my videos contain MPEG2 video, they all have to be transcoded.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:48 pm

I have a few H.265 4K clips, and have issues playing them through Serviio. However, they play just fine if I instead use the Windows Media Server function. However, in general it's terrible for all other playback, so I don't use it. :)

I don't remember having any problems when using my Roku 4 to stream the 4K clips, but the Roku doesn't support HDR, so the clips all look a little washed out. They really need to be streamed directly to the TV.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Belgarion

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:23 pm

Hi. I know even less about transcoding than the original question. My Samsung seems only capable of playing AVI files (older model). It seems transcoding may be the way forward. I am running Serviio on a Synology NAS. I haven't found any areas where I can store any parameters to do transcoding (if I understand the concept).

Is it possible to convert MKV files to AVI using transcoding?

If so, what should the file look like and where would it be stored on a Synology disk?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Regards.
Bel

Return to Transcoding