FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Transcode film aspects to 16:9 automagically?

<<

switchers

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:23 pm

Transcode film aspects to 16:9 automagically?

Hi,

I've having trouble working out something that I feel should be easy (but may totally not be).
I've got a Humax HDR1000 set top box and use a ubuntu laptop with Serviio to stream downloaded TV or Twitch to it and it's working real real nice. However, anything that's not 16:9 gets stretched weirdly (usually vertically so everything looks long and thin) which is most of the films I have. I'd rather not have to blast through transcoding black bars into all my films I ever want to watch, so I'm wondering what to set to get things that aren't 16:9 to get transcoded to the correct blackbarred so it displays nicely over the humax box?

I've been trying to research but don't have any transcoding setting fiddling about experience so it's going over my head a bit. There anything I could/should do or try first? Any existing profiles I should use that would fix this? Happy to provide more info if it would help.

Appreciate this is probably more Humax being awkward than Serviio, but I feel like the support might be better here ;)

Cheers.
<<

switchers

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:37 pm

Re: Transcode film aspects to 16:9 automagically?

In further looking around I've found this (untested as of yet) but am still wondering if there's the option to set so it only does the trans coding when it needs to? Or set up so that I can pick a copy of the media server to use it? Blue sky thinking but like having a Serviio in DNLA for normal viewing and a Serviio2 to pick for 16:9 transcoding?

<Profile id="Humax" name="Humax HDR PVR" extendsProfileId="1">
<!-- HUMAX 7510T
- Still images: JPEG
- Music: MP3, Dolby Digital +
- Video: MPEG TS, mpeg2video, mpeg-4 AVC, dolby digital + -->
<Transcoding>
<!-- Remux audio and video streams - for DivX/Xvid in AVI/Matroska -->
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="h264" DAR="16:9">
<Matches container="matroska" />
</Video>
</Transcoding>
</Profile>
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:06 pm

for non-transcoded files, wouldn't there be a aspect ratio setting on the player?
<<

switchers

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:28 pm

Unfortunately not because the player seems pretty pants to that regard. I even went so far as to contact support for it and they basically said "sorry only 16:9 for DNLA streaming because we're mad lazy".
I paraphrased a bit, but that was the sentiment.

Return to Transcoding