FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Transcoding and Brand new Samsung Q9FN

<<

Quarktasche

Serviio newbie

Post Wed May 30, 2018 1:30 pm

Transcoding and Brand new Samsung Q9FN

Hello,
i have a new Samsung UHD TV Q9FN but the TV cant play DivX, xvid and DTS Sound :-(
is it possible that one can solve this via transcoding?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu May 31, 2018 2:37 am

Re: Transcoding and Brand new Samsung Q9FN

That TV appears to support the same media that older Samsung sets do, so transcoding is certainly an option. However, I have to warn you that my JU7100 refuses to play any video that is transcoded. I don't know if that has been resolved with the newer sets, but wanted to bring it up.

So, first try the Samsung M series profile. It's the most recent Samsung profile, and should have you well covered.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Quarktasche

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:40 pm

I tried all the samsung profiles but none worked. what do I have to change in the profiles.xml so that transcoding is enabled for .avi (xvid and divx).

EDIT:

if I switch to the profile "panasonic foura 2013" then I can watch avi with xvid but then go uhd content no longer.
I then added
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384">
<Matches container="avi" /> <!-- Remove this line for models that natively support AVI's with Xvid video (some ST60's) -->
<Matches container="avi" vCodec="mpeg4" vFourCC="div3,div4,div5,divx,dm4v,dx50" />
<Matches container="avi" vCodec="msmpeg4" vFourCC="div3,div4,div5,divx,dm4v,dx50" />
<Matches container="avi" vCodec="dvvideo" />
</Video>

to the profile E / F player profile but then the menu for profile is empty
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:55 pm

I'm unfamiliar with the DivX and xvid video codecs, so can't offer any suggestions for those. I'll have to let someone else answer.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

Quarktasche

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:41 pm

I've added the code lines to the samsung m-series profile. now works divx, xvid and uhd
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:04 pm

Good work, and nice troubleshooting! :D

Don't forget that the profiles.xml file is replaced every time Serviio is updated. You can create your own personal profile file that isn't overwritten:
If you want to have your profile changes persisted across upgrades, you can add new profiles to a file config/user-profiles.xml. All the syntax and rules described below apply to this file as well.

http://serviio.org/index.php?option=com ... icle&id=16
Dan

<<

Quarktasche

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:30 am

icreate a new file with user-profiles.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Profiles version="1.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://www.serviio.org/xsd/profiles/v/1.9.1/Profiles.xsd">

<!--
========================= DO NOT EDIT - start ====================================
-->
<Profile id="sam_q" name="Samsung TV / player (Q-series)" extendsProfileId="sam_j">
<Detection>
<UPnPSearch>
<ModelName>(^[A-Z]{2}\d{2}M[A-Z]?\d{3,4}.*)</ModelName>
<ModelNumber>(1\.0)|(AllShare1\.0)</ModelNumber>
</UPnPSearch>
<HttpHeaders>
<!-- some models only support headers -->
<User-Agent>(.*SEC_HHP_\[TV\] [A-Z]{2}\d{2}M[A-Z]?\d{3,4}.*)</User-Agent>
</HttpHeaders>
</Detection>
<Transcoding>
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="384">
<Matches container="avi" />
<Matches container="avi" vCodec="mpeg4" vFourCC="div3,div4,div5,divx,dm4v,dx50" />
<Matches container="avi" vCodec="msmpeg4" vFourCC="div3,div4,div5,divx,dm4v,dx50" />
</Video>
</Transcoding>
</Profile>
</Profiles>

and now my brand new Samsung Q9FN is in the menu and he play XVID, DIVX...
all Samsung models from the year 2018 are no longer playing DivX and DTS for licensing reasons

is it possible with serviio transcoded by a video only the DTS sound?
Last edited by Quarktasche on Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:48 am

Add
  Code:
<Matches container="*" aCodec="dca" />
            <Matches container="*" aCodec="dts-hd" />   
after the <Matches container="avi" vCodec="dvvideo" />statement. This will transcode any file that has either DTS (dca) and DTS-HD.

This will do the job, but you may be better off only re-muxing the video (this would mean that you would hve to basically copy the whole sam_j profile and mdify that, as you wont be able to use inheritance like you have).
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

lolo_aguirre

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:59 am

The file for the user profile should be called user-profileS.xml. I spent some time to notice it. Thanks.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:48 pm

lolo_aguirre wrote:The file for the user profile should be called user-profileS.xml. I spent some time to notice it. Thanks.

And that's exactly what I posted above, which was a copy and paste from the Serviio web site. :D
Dan

<<

Quarktasche

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:26 am

atc98092 wrote:
lolo_aguirre wrote:The file for the user profile should be called user-profileS.xml. I spent some time to notice it. Thanks.

And that's exactly what I posted above, which was a copy and paste from the Serviio web site. :D

he meant me. I forgot a "s" above.
<<

crystygye

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:16 pm

thanks guys for all this info. great work 10x a lot
<<

Axelito

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:52 pm

Hi all,
I bought a Samsung Q7FN on last (black) friday. I also recognized that old DivX and XViD moviez couldn't be played anymore.

So I searched the serviio forum and found that thread here. But Quarktasche's profile does not lead to the right profile recognition within the my Serviio console for my Q7FN.

I also recognized that within his regular expression still the "M" of the M-Series is placed. Also the regular expression itself does not fit to the Q-Series model name I think.

Mine is "GQ55Q7FNG" which should have so following regular expression within the ModelName-XML-Tag:

<ModelName>(^[A-Z]{2}\d{2}Q\d[A-Z]{3}.*)</ModelName>

But again that does not change the recognition of my Samsung TV as "Generic DLNA profile" instead of "Samsung TV / player (Q-series)".

What is wrong and how is it possible to check the string that is needed for the UPnPSearch within the profiles.xml

Thanks in advance for any help.

Axelito
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:15 pm

Axelito wrote:Hi all,
I bought a Samsung Q7FN on last (black) friday. I also recognized that old DivX and XViD moviez couldn't be played anymore.

So I searched the serviio forum and found that thread here. But Quarktasche's profile does not lead to the right profile recognition within the my Serviio console for my Q7FN.

I also recognized that within his regular expression still the "M" of the M-Series is placed. Also the regular expression itself does not fit to the Q-Series model name I think.

Mine is "GQ55Q7FNG" which should have so following regular expression within the ModelName-XML-Tag:

<ModelName>(^[A-Z]{2}\d{2}Q\d[A-Z]{3}.*)</ModelName>

But again that does not change the recognition of my Samsung TV as "Generic DLNA profile" instead of "Samsung TV / player (Q-series)".

What is wrong and how is it possible to check the string that is needed for the UPnPSearch within the profiles.xml

Thanks in advance for any help.

Axelito

If you manually set the profile, Serviio will remember it and you don't have to set it again. However, if your TV changes IP addresses, then it will have to be set again on the new IP address. So it isn't critical that Serviio recognizes the model correctly.
Dan

<<

Paolo

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:08 am

seems that do not work with my QLED 8K 65" Serie Q900R QE65Q900RATXZT .
No change if ocmpared with GENERIC DLNA

File named user-profiles.xml placed in servio/config directory, reboot serviio, appear the "Samsung TV / player (Q-series)", assigned to correct tv,IP fixed in TV, IP match, saved config, reboot of serviio again, switch on the tv. nothing changed.

this is the file user-profiles.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Profiles version="1.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://www.serviio.org/xsd/profiles/v/1.9.1/Profiles.xsd">

<!--
========================= DO NOT EDIT - start ====================================
-->
<Profile id="sam_q" name="Samsung TV / player (Q-series)" extendsProfileId="sam_j">
<Detection>
<UPnPSearch>
<ModelName>(^[A-Z]{2}\d{2}M[A-Z]?\d{3,4}.*)</ModelName>
<ModelNumber>(1\.0)|(AllShare1\.0)</ModelNumber>
</UPnPSearch>
<HttpHeaders>
<!-- some models only support headers -->
<User-Agent>(.*SEC_HHP_\[TV\] [A-Z]{2}\d{2}M[A-Z]?\d{3,4}.*)</User-Agent>
</HttpHeaders>
</Detection>
<Transcoding>
<Matches container="avi" />
<Matches container="*" aCodec="dca" />
<Matches container="*" aCodec="dts-hd" />
</Video>
</Transcoding>
</Profile>
</Profiles>

I miss some settings/options elsewhere ?

or Q9FN differ from Q900R ?

Some more useful data about Q900R video codec annexed

Attachments
video codec Q900R.jpg
video codec Q900R.jpg (130.55 KiB) Viewed 19711 times
<<

Paolo

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:53 pm

Don't ask me why....don0t ask me how....but now...without aney new modification of the user-profiles above mentioned.....it work!!!!
Then good job boys!!!!!

Now...how to improve ?

I noted that:
1) quality of converted image do not seems equal to quality that I can see on my other old Samsung 65' fullHD (than to not need conversion process), seems worse. Can be improved considering my 8K possibilities ?
2) some file still resist to conversion but i can see on other old Samsung 65' fullHD

like this file: ABCD.mkv

Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4
File size : 2.17 GiB
Duration : 1 h 47 min
Overall bit rate : 2 897 kb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2019-06-09 19:08:15
Writing application : mkvmerge v6.2.0 ('Promised Land') built on Apr 28 2013 12:22:01
Writing library : libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.0

Video
ID : 1
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Simple@L3
Format settings, BVOP : No
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Codec ID : V_MS/VFW/FOURCC / DIVX
Codec ID/Info : Project Mayo
Codec ID/Hint : DivX 4
Width : 640 pixels
Height : 272 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 3.107
Original display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Writing library : XviD 1.1.2 (UTC 2006-11-01)
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : A_AAC-2
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Language : Italian
Default : Yes
Forced : No
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:53 pm

That file uses the Divx video codec, which according to the chart is not supported by your TV. That means it has to be transcoded. your existing profile has a matches line, but it's container specific:

Change it to this: <Matches container="*" vCodec="dvvideo" />

Now it won't matter what container the Divx codec is in, it will always be transcoded.
Dan

<<

Paolo

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:06 pm

It work. :D

Now...

1) any chance to increase quality ?

2) how can I inserit my user-profiles.xml in my Synologi Serviio DS218 ? I'm figting to understand how to insert file inside.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:47 pm

Paolo wrote:It work. :D

Now...

1) any chance to increase quality ?

2) how can I insert my user-profiles.xml in my Synologi Serviio DS218 ? I'm figting to understand how to insert file inside.

You could try using H.264 instead of MPEG-2 for your transcoded video. That might help retain the video quality. But remember it can't look any better than the original. :D Change targetVCodec="mpeg2video" to read targetVCodec="h264". But be aware that H.264 requires more processing power, so you NAS might have issues keeping up. If you start experiencing buffering, switch back to MPEG-2 video.

The user-profiles.xml file has to be in the same folder as the profiles.xml file. I have no idea where that might be on your NAS, other than within the Serviio install folder in the config sub-folder. How to get it there, you can usually use a remote access program like PUTTY to access the NAS system folders and copy the file. There's also command line tools (TELNET) but much more difficult to use. And the NAS has to be configured to allow remote access. I can't tell you how to do that.
Dan

<<

QT007

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:33 pm

Depending on your skills on a linux comamnd line, create the file on your pc or on the synology.
To find the path to the file on the synology, you need to go to the commandline of the linux of your synology using telnet or better ssh (linux) or putty (Windows) - you may want to google how to use putty.
on my synology, serviio config is found under
  Code:
 /volume1/@appstore/Serviio/config
- but that may be different on yours. Search for it like this
  Code:
 find /  -iname "profiles.xml" 2> /dev/null
It will run some time and give one result below the serviio installation folder.
Now you have the path.
Either use vi to create/edit the file or use WinSCP to copy the file from your PC to that path.
Next

Return to Transcoding