FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Help creating profile for PSTV / PS Vita

<<

Smiley!

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:30 pm

Help creating profile for PSTV / PS Vita

Hello,
I have been using Serviio for about 6 months now and have been very happy with it. However, I am still struggling to understand how to create profiles with it. My main use case is transcoding audio and video to my PS3, PS Vita, PSTV, and PS4. The PS3 has a built in profile that has been working great. The PS4 also does, and while it doesn't work correctly, the PS3 is connected to the same TV so I don't really care. The PS Vita/PSTV however do not. I have been using the built in Xbox 360 Profile for Audio, and while that has worked fine, I have started adding video to the server and it doesn't work for that with the PS Vita/PSTV. Would anyone be able to help me:

A) create the user-profile.xml file? I am not sure where it is meant to go, or how to construct the file.

B) create a profile for my PS Vita/PSTV. According to the specs, the profile needs to transcode video (if it isn't already) into H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, with baseline/main/high profile level 4.0, with a max resolution of 1080p at 30fps. I don’t know if 720p 60fps is supported, or only 720p 30fps. the PS Vita/PSTV won't be outputting past 720 anyway, so if 720p60fps works then sweet, if not I don't really mind. Audio also must be AAC for video, at a max of 48KHz. in terms of transcoding audio only files, ideally any FLAC/ALAC files (or any other lossless formats) would be converted to WAVE (LinearPCM), and any lossy formats would be transcoded to MP3, if the aren't already. My library mainly consists of ALAC, AAC, and MP3 files, but I would like the server to be able to transcode as many types of files as possible to the formats it supports, for future proofing.

I don't necessarily want someone to create the profile for me, but I am having trouble understanding how to setup transcoding using this guide: https://serviio.org/index.php?option=co ... icle&id=24. Any help or pointers anyone can give would be amazing! :D

Thank you so much in advance!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:20 pm

Re: Help creating profile for PSTV / PS Vita

Here's an example of a basic user profile file. The first two lines define the file, and the last line closes the Profiles bracket. You create a profile within the Profiles brackets, and you can see the basics of a profle in this test file. You have to name the profile in the id= spot, and the name must differ from any other profile in either this file or the main profiles file. The name= spot is what appears when you select the profiles dropdown list in the Serviio console. This test profile is designed for a single purpose: it looks for any video files in the AVI container that uses a DIVX video codec. It will ignore any other codecs, or even the same codecs in a different container.

You can look at the regular Profiles file for more complete examples of other profiles. These will include capturing different video and audio codecs, as well as specific settings for online sources.

One last comment. On the first line of the Profile, there's a "extendsProfileId=" field. This allows you to use an existing profile from the primary file and make "tweaks" to it without touching the primary file. Notice that this test profile is extending the "sony2013" profile. You have to have something here, and if you don't want to extend any specific profile simply enter "1" here. That then uses the basic Generic profile, which sets some baseline settings for your profile.

Go ahead and experiment with the user-profiles file. You can't hurt anything. If you get the syntax wrong in the file, Serviio simply won't load, and the Serviio log will point out what it doesn't like. Then change it and try again. You can reload the profiles files in the Serviio console by stopping and starting the server on the console's Status page at the bottom.
Attachments
user-profiles.xml
(723 Bytes) Downloaded 138 times
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Smiley!

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:03 am

Thank you so much! That has been incredibly helpful! My server is now able to transcode audio to linearPCM to my PSVita/PSTV instead of MP3 which means higher fidelity audio!!! I am forever grateful.

In terms of video however, it still isn't working. The transcoding guide says I can only transcode to MPEG2, but the PSTV only supports MPEG-4... is there a way to transcode to MPEG-4?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:11 am

There are only three possible target video codecs: mpeg2video (MPEG2), wmv2 (WMV9), and h264. You might try h264, as many MP4 containers use that codec. It might be a compatible codec for your PSTV.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

Smiley!

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:26 am

I have a feeling it is the container the PSTV doesn't like... it says it supports H.264, but only in the MPEG-4 container... is there a way to transcode to that container?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:38 am

No, MP4 is not a permitted container. Serviio only offers asf, mpeg (MPEG2PS), mpegts (MPEG2TS), applehttp (HLS). The TS container is a common streaming protocol. HLS generally mimics the Apple MOV container. I can't find any information online about what the Playstation TV (I am assuming that is what you mean by PSTV) so I can't tell if there might be some other supported codecs or containers.
Dan

<<

Smiley!

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:51 am

The PSTV uses an app called Network Media Player to connect and stream from DLNA servers. The Manual included on the console says it only supports MPEG-4 video. here is the official manual for the system itself listing the video file types it supports: https://manuals.playstation.net/documen ... types.html
Here is an article I found with others trying to get the vita/PSTV to work correctly with this software:
https://www.universalmediaserver.com/fo ... php?t=2402

I'll try and play around and see if I can somehow get it working :D thank you for all of your help so far.

Return to Transcoding