FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

VIDEO_TS to MPG?

<<

AnthonyPaulO

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:41 pm

VIDEO_TS to MPG?

Hello!

I have been copying my DVD collection to my NAS using DVDFab and would like to view them on my Oppo BDP-83. Unfortunately, my Oppo doesn't understand the VIDEO_TS structure so I am unable to play my movies. Is there a way that Serviio can "transcode" from the VIDEO_TS structure to a format that the Oppo understands (such as MPG) (without losing any quality)? For example, let's say I copy my ROCKY dvd to my NAS, and now I want to play that on my Oppo... is there a way that I can get the entire ROCKY dvd structure on my NAS to appear as an MPG file on my Oppo via DLNA transcoding using Serviio?

From what I understand all the files in the VIDEO_TS structure are already encoded in mpg, it's just the container that Oppo doesn't recognize so if I can get serviio to serve as a proxy and serve up a different container that my Oppo would understand then the world would be a better place. :P

Regards,

Anthony
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:13 pm

Re: VIDEO_TS to MPG?

DVD is stored as Mpeg2 PS. You sure the player doesn't support that? Serviio could transcode it into something else (eg mpeg2 ts or wmv), but you'd still end up with many files (1 per each .vob), not just 1 'movie'. Someone suggested on the forum there is a way to join all those files into 1.
<<

AnthonyPaulO

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:18 pm

Hi!

The problem is that the Oppo doesn't recognize the DVD structure the way that, let's say, Windows Media Center does. What I see on my end is the ROCKY folder, and when I go in I see VIDEO_TS and a whole bunch of files. I can play each of these files, but when it finished I have to play the next file, and the next, etc... to see the whole movie, and nobody wants that lol!

So what I'm wondering is what you just mentioned... is there a way to dynamically "package" all these files as one?

Regards,

Anthony
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:01 pm

It's not possible with Serviio, you'd have to join the files into one as I mentioned.
<<

pokeytolman

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:41 pm

You said that you used dvdfab in dvd fab there is an option to make 1 big vob (vob passthrough) its a profile in the dvd to mobile (on version 7 and earlier) or dvd ripper (for version 8 and later). Dont know about chapters and all but it does allow you to only hit play once and is fast. I just tested it and it took 90 seconds for a movie
<<

iys

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:09 pm

Or for files that you've already ripped you can use a program called VOBMerge.
<<

fmustang76

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:30 am

Not sure if this will work with your hardware, but I use VOB2MPG for combining my ripped DVD (VIDEO_TS) files into a single file that I can use with my Sony 32EX308. I haven't had any problems with this method and I see no loss in quality when viewed through Serviio since the end file needs no trans-coding for my hardware.

http://www.svcd2dvd.com/VOB2MPG/default.aspx
<<

Gemdarwen

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:09 am

zip wrote:DVD is stored as Mpeg2 PS. You sure the player doesn't support that? Serviio could transcode it into something else (eg mpeg2 ts or wmv), but you'd still end up with many files (1 per each .vob), not just 1 'movie'. Someone suggested on the forum there is a way to join all those files into 1.

Yes, I do this all the time with my files. The instructions can be found at th is post .... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=240#p1380

Also, I've never had the sound problem mentioned by someone else. This process is a lot faster than redoing the backup again from the original source.

Return to Transcoding