FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

WMA lossless to WMA 7, 8, 9?

<<

cjking

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:09 pm

WMA lossless to WMA 7, 8, 9?

I have music encoded in WMA lossless (and also in Apple lossless) on my Windows 7 PC, and want to be able to play it via DLNA on my new Samsung PS50C7000 plasma TV.

The TV doesn't support WMA lossless, it does claim to support "WMA 7, 8, 9, STD."

Windows media player and Samsung Share manager servers don't work, I think they don't support transcoding.

Tversity didn't work, not even for things like video and photos that the previous two servers did support, apparently it is incompatible with Samsung TV's implementation of DLNA. (I guess DLNA is not a very well-defined standard.)

Serviio seems more promising than Tversity, at least I can see photos and videos with it, and it apparently handles transcoding.

However not sure what I need to do to get music working, I get the same error as with previous 3 servers, music file format not supported. Is it just a case of learning how to alter the profile to cause transcoding, or would I be wasting my time because it can't support what I want to do?
<<

cjking

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: WMA lossless to WMA 7, 8, 9?

Actually the Samsung manual is not very clear on audio support - pretty sure it supports MP3 as well.

Under the video section it lists any number of audio codecs supported, in addition to WMA and MP3 there is AC3, AAC etc.
<<

cjking

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:24 pm

I think I may have misunderstood the Samsung manual, I think the references to "WMA 7, 8, 9, Std" are also in the "Videos" section.

In the music section it says it will only support files with MP3 and PCM extensions.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:50 pm

Yep, it only plays mp3 audio files. Audio transcoding is in the plan.

Return to Transcoding