FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

serviio and windows 10

<<

claudiuspokus

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:33 pm

serviio and windows 10

Hello pros!

I installed Windows 10 and Serviio is no longer detected by my panasonic television. Does anyone know what I have to do for Serviio are detected again

It detects system multimedia to microsoft but it's nowhere near as good as Serviio.

Thank you in advance for your answers.
<<

snowflake7

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:18 pm

Re: serviio and windows 10

During beta testing I ran Serviio in a Win 10 environment on a VM test machine using the feedback release prior to the one that is currently available. TV was Sony as listed below. No problems. I will say that upon installing the current Win10 release I was disappointed in the number of features that were not available or were not fully functional. I didn't attempt serviio based on my evaluation of other portions of Win10. AS STATED By MICROSOFT. The current release of Win10 may not be stable and should not be used for a production environment. I would wait for at least a "Release Candidate" before I attempted anything other than a test install.

Probably not the opinion you were looking for, but I would stick with the currently supported OS.
Sony XBR55X850A | Synology DS412+ DS214Play DS918+| QNAP TS-451 | Buffalo TS3400D | VM 6.5 ESXi | Server 2016, Server 2012 | Samsung Note 9
Samsung s9 | Samsung Tablets | Onkyo TX-NR656 | Sony BDP-S3700 | Multiple Harmony Hubs | Multiple Echo Devices | Firesticks | Toshiba FireTV | Sling/AirTV
Lutron Lighting and Honeywell Environmental Bridges | Amcrest 1080p Cameras
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:08 am

I agree. While I'm playing with Win 10 on a laptop, it's not complete enough for anything I depend on. I will say that the few things I've tried on it are working just fine, but they have a ways to go.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

kems2013

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:32 am

I have this problem too.

Serviio worked fine on WIndows 8.1 but recently, I migrated to Windows 10 and my TV doesn't detect Serviio server.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:00 pm

After I migrated my Serviio test server to Windows 10, I did not encounter any issues displaying the server on the TV. I did have an issue with some file names, but I was running a Serviio beta. I removed it and installed Serviio 1.5.2 clean and it is working fine.

Before trying anything drastic, check the Windows firewall and see if your migration causing port 23424 to be closed. That port is necessary for Serviio to be found on the network.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:37 am

Have you confirmed that the Serviio Service is running? From your browser (better use Internet Explorer or Chrome as I don't know if the new one, Edge, will work with this - probably will, but I haven't tested) do you get a response to: http://localhost:23423/rest/service-status

If not, check the Serviio service (using service.msc) is set to Automatic start and let us know.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

Morden2004

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:14 am

I am a registered PRO Serviio user and up until Windows 10 all was well. Now, however, after the upgrade (?) to Windows 10 Serviio cannot seem to locate/use my library. There are no videos listed in both the Serviio Media Browser and none on my Samsung Smart TV when I select Allshare(Serviio;MyPC). Anyone else have this problem?

I reinstalled my Serviio (latest version) and no change. My library is on a WDMyCloud 2TB server. The video library is available directly on the Samsung TV when I select Network(WDMyCloud).
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:05 am

If you cannot see the content it is almost always related to security/access issues.

Check the permissions on the NAS and ensure that the Serviio user (the user that the Serviio Services logs in as) has full access. I suspect that some of the permissions are being changed/reset during the upgrade to Win10.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

Morden2004

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:55 pm

DenyAll wrote:If you cannot see the content it is almost always related to security/access issues.

Check the permissions on the NAS and ensure that the Serviio user (the user that the Serviio Services logs in as) has full access. I suspect that some of the permissions are being changed/reset during the upgrade to Win10.

It doesn't seem to be a permissions issue. When I set Serviio to build from the WDMyCloud it creates the directories that are in the WDMyCloud library but does not register any of the MP3's (for example).
It doesn't matter if the WDMyCloud library is connected as a net share or as a mapped drive; same results in both cases.

I'm still investigating.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:50 pm

Morden2004 wrote:
DenyAll wrote:If you cannot see the content it is almost always related to security/access issues.

It doesn't seem to be a permissions issue. When I set Serviio to build from the WDMyCloud it creates the directories that are in the WDMyCloud library but does not register any of the MP3's (for example).
It doesn't matter if the WDMyCloud library is connected as a net share or as a mapped drive; same results in both cases.

I'm still investigating.

Remember that unless you've changed it the Serviio service does NOT run as your user name. Therefore a mapped drive would not exist for that user. The UNC is the only method that would work, but again the system user that Serviio runs under needs access permission.

One sure way to tell about permissions is to change the login in name for the Serviio service to your user name/password. Mapped drive letters still won't work, but anything you can access as the logged in user will work for Serviio. My guess is if you did this it would begin working again.
Dan

<<

Morden2004

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:02 pm

atc98092 wrote:
Morden2004 wrote:

I'm still investigating.

Remember that unless you've changed it the Serviio service does NOT run as your user name. Therefore a mapped drive would not exist for that user. The UNC is the only method that would work, but again the system user that Serviio runs under needs access permission.

One sure way to tell about permissions is to change the login in name for the Serviio service to your user name/password. Mapped drive letters still won't work, but anything you can access as the logged in user will work for Serviio. My guess is if you did this it would begin working again.

That's worth a try. I work on that and get back.

But, consider this: the access and throughput speeds of the WDMyCloud under Windows 10 is abysmal! I'm still investigating but it looks like the WD is heading for the recycle shelf. It doesn't seem to be a permissions problem because I also run my Microsoft Office Outlook off that WDMyCloud drive and under Windows 8 it worked fine and under Windows 10 it works too - it's just that under 8 it would take milliseconds to load the container into Outlook and under 10 it's MINUTES! Something is clearly screwed up under Windows 10. My network is all gigabit and I've unloaded any network devices not necessary for a test (just the ASUS RT-N66U, a gigabit switch and my ASUS CG-8480 computer connected) and speeds to/from the WDMyCloud are like, well, 1995. :cry:

I'm no longer blaming Serviio for this issue - it's seems to be a Windows 10 issue.
<<

Morden2004

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:42 pm

So I have made some changes to my configuration and I seem (?) to have significantly improved my speeds accessing the WDMyCloud.

What I did was add a WINS over NetBIOS flag=ON to my host computer's network adapter config. Then I moved both the host computer and the WDMyCloud network connections to the gigabit switch (before, 1 was on the router; 1 on the switch). I also removed the backup drive from the WDMyCloud.

Now I have fast throughput to/from the WDMyCloud and my host computer (approx: 15-30MB/s transfers). This is huge! Will it stay that way over the next few days/reboots? TIme will tell.

BUT --- :cry: --- Serviio still cannot 'see' the files on the WDMyCloud! I tried both a network connection and a Windows mapped share - and both fail. I'm disappointed.

So, do the folks that developed Serviio have a Windows 10 testbed available to see if they can reproduce this problem?

Paul
<<

PhillWalker

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:35 pm

Same problem with myCloud Ex4... annoying
<<

Morden2004

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:08 pm

PhillWalker wrote:Same problem with myCloud Ex4... annoying

Ah, so I'm not alone! :)

I'm hoping for a resolution so I can get back to using the WDMyCloud with my Serviio Pro. Fingers crossed.
<<

PhillWalker

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:42 pm

Morden2004 wrote:

I'm hoping for a resolution so I can get back to using the WDMyCloud with my Serviio Pro. Fingers crossed.

I am getting appalling transfer speeds from the NAS also... your fix above did not help. :(
<<

Morden2004

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:04 pm

PhillWalker wrote:
Morden2004 wrote:

I am getting appalling transfer speeds from the NAS also... your fix above did not help. :(

Are you running a gigabit LAN? And if so is the WD and the host computer on the same segment (and same switch or router)?

Paul
<<

Morden2004

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:18 pm

PhillWalker wrote:
Morden2004 wrote:

Phil:

I'm not sure if the BIOS change or the switch to both boxes being on the gigabit switch or the cursing or the reset of the WDMC worked but I have good news (I think);

I benchmarked the WDMC using CrystalDiskMark against an external WD 1TB drive connected to the host via USB2 and here are the results:

CrystalDiskMark 3.0.3 x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Test : 1000 MB [L: 65.2% (607.7/931.5 GB)] (x2)
Date : 2015/08/05 16:07:13
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

WD External SATA -> USB2.0
Sequential Read : 42.494 MB/s
Sequential Write : 43.405 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 22.970 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 30.291 MB/s

WDMyCloud 2TB - Gigabit LAN
Sequential Read : 24.71 MB/s
Sequential Write : 24.40 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 6.321 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 14.33 MB/s

I think that this is quite good, but I'd love to hear from those more experienced with the performance of the WDMyCloud.

Anyone?

Paul
<<

PhillWalker

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:34 pm

Both my boxes gigabit LAN, on same gigabit switch. (MyCloud has dual uplinks configured)
<<

PhillWalker

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:56 pm

Well mines gone much worse than that...

earlier in the day I read data from it at 60-70mbs, now it is consistently 0.5-3mb read!

I am just rebooting the WD to see if that brings any life back to it (after an uptime of 4 days)....

After the reboot 72.31mb read 52.18mb write (according to crystaldiskmark) which are the best speeds I have ever seen.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:47 pm

It doesn't seem to be a permissions problem because I also run my Microsoft Office Outlook off that WDMyCloud drive and under Windows 8 it worked fine and under Windows 10 it works too ...

But you are running Outlook logged in as you, not a system service. Serviio runs as a local computer service, and its permissions for network access are not the same as your user account. In fact the local system user has very few network permissions unless you specifically grant them. That's why I suggest changing the user account the Serviio uses to run its service. Change it to the same user account you use to log into the computer (don't forget the password, if any), and then see if Serviio sees the content on the NAS. My guess is it will. :)
Dan

Next

Return to Serviio Support & Help