FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Transcoding PANASONIC VIERA P55VTW60

<<

granjuanelo

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:36 pm

Transcoding PANASONIC VIERA P55VTW60

Hello to the community,

Sorry if someone has already asked this, but could just find a similar topic with my problem but no explanation or solution.

I'm using Serviio with a PANASONIC VIERA P55VTW60 using the Panasonic 2013 profile. Maybe because I've misunderstood its functionality, I disabled the "Enable Transcoding" option on the Serviio server because I don't want the videos to be reencoded but instead to be streamed transparently to the TV in their original audio and video format as well. Unfortunately, my TV seems to have problems with AVC profiles higher than 4.1. When I play some video with a 5.0 profile, for example, the video jerks totally and it plays like in a cutten fast forward mode. If I enable the transcoding option, this problems seems to be solved so I assume that Serviio transcodes the video due to its higher AVC profile to some natively supported by the TV AVC profile. What I don't know up to know is, if when I enable this option Serviio then transcodes automatically EVERY video that I play on the TV, even if it really does not need it, which would result in some quality loss in audio and video.

If the latter case is true, Is there an option or way to edit the profiles so I can specify to Serviio which folders/files it should transcode? The thing is, most of my videos play quite well natively and without transcoding on the TV and I would like to provide the solution just for the files that have a higher AVC profile or need forcely to be transcoded.

Hope you guys can provide some clarification to me in this topic. Any info and explanations how the thing works will be really appreciated!

Best regards,
GJ
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:44 am

Re: Transcoding PANASONIC VIERA P55VTW60

What I don't know up to know is, if when I enable this option Serviio then transcodes automatically EVERY video that I play on the TV, even if it really does not need it...
No, it doesn't transcode every video. What gets transcoded is determined by the profile used. The Panasonic 2013 profile was optimised to only transcode when needed - primarily for H264 profile levels greater than 4.1, and some unsupported video types such as mjpeg and h265.

...which would result in some quality loss in audio and video.
IF a video or audio is transcoded then there will be a loss in video and/or audio quality. Whether this loss is perceptible though is in the eyes of the beholder (I generally find little perceptible loss).

A good profile will also choose to REMUX rather TRANSCODE wherever possible. Remuxing results in no loss of quality.

way to edit the profiles so I can specify to Serviio which folders/files it should transcode?
By folder or file name - no. See http://www.serviio.org/index.php?option ... icle&id=24 and in particular the Matches commands to get a feel for what triggers can be defined to initiate transcoding.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

granjuanelo

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:31 am

Re: Transcoding PANASONIC VIERA P55VTW60

Hi DenyALL

Thanks for the detailed reply. Exactly that is what I wanted to know. My video playing issues go in that direction as well, say, either with high AVC profiles or h265 videos which won't play at all. I will then let the checkmark for Encoding activated and will try to monitor the video quality for any perceptible quality loss in audio/video.

Thanks again!

Best wishes,
GJ

Return to Panasonic