FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Simple Console - Poor Mediabrowser

<<

hansolo

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:37 am

Simple Console - Poor Mediabrowser

I like the simple console and in general does a good job serving the vids i chuck at it. Esp as you getall that in the free version....which bring me to the big let down...the pro version isn't worth getting because for th most part you will want it for the mediabrowser and it doesnt support html5 (its 2015 come on seriously) and there is a serious lack of user preferences.

So for the free version 10 out of 10...for the pro version 3 out of 10 because it doesn't really give you that much more and what it does give you needs a bit of a re-work/re-visit.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:15 pm

Re: Simple Console - Poor Mediabrowser

I think you're being rather harsh on the MediaBrowser. Yes, HTML5 will provide some improvement. But the current browser works on multiple devices. I can use it on my iPad 2 over a 3G connection, which is pretty slow. It of course works just fine with any browser.

If I understand the benefits of HTML5, Serviio would have less work to do as the browser would do some of the rendering. Certainly worthwhile, and I believe Zip has it in his future plans. Myself, I'd give the Pro version at least a 7, maybe even 8. And yes, using the regular DLNA functionality is a full 10/10.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

norm

Serviio lover

Post Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:11 pm

To me the DLNA functionality is the main reason for me using Serviio. Great DLNA server works well with my Bravia TV, Panasonic Bluray player, Humax boxes, selection of Android phones, Tablets, even HP Touchpad running WebOS. MediaBrowser is just the icing on the cake something to listen to my music while I'm on the go with ServiiGo.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:37 pm

Unfortunatelly the state of HTML5 video is still not too great. Especially the players. I have an HTML5 version of the player working, but by using it you lose seeking in the (transcoded) file.

HTML5 is great for websites where they can controll the content and its format - all MP4 and you're sorted. But most users of Serviio have a mix of formats and for MB I'd say 90% have to be transocded (especially if you don't use the Original quality). Flash player is much better in this case - it allows seeking and works (so far) in all desktop browsers. If you want to transcode to HTML5, it has to be to HLS format, which:
- is not supported in all browsers / OS
- is designed for 'live' events streaming, so seeking is not normally supported.
<<

hansolo

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:17 am

Thanks for reply. I will take what you have. If you make it an optional setting in console the default to keep using flash and for others we can opt to use "experimental" html5 player, that would be great? I would be keen to trial it and feedback.

Cheers
<<

Meelis

DLNA master

Post Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:03 pm

zip wrote: I have an HTML5 version of the player working, but by using it you lose seeking in the (transcoded) file.

Hi zip. Is it possible to get HTML5 version? I have same problem that smart tv browser dont support flash. I installed pro version at workplace one pc and moved all my movies to there with hope that i dont have to keep pc running at home all the time. But unluck... browser in tv dont support flash :) In other browsers working well.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:48 am

It's likely that the TV browser will not support HLS streaming, so transcoded files will not work anyway.
<<

Lucifer

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:16 pm

English Version (translate via Google, sorry) :

Hi,

I also post my opinion on the html5.

Where I work, I can listen to music (\ o /) but no flash _-_ => MediaBrowser is dead.

Serviio I used to listen to music at work, could do it in my car, my house. But I'm using it also matter in films / documentaries uploaded to the web to watch later (interview of IT and co) and as the series.

But I am not alone, my brother uses the Web and DLNA (I make the distance with a self-hosted server).

I have a full Linux use, while it uses a DLNA Medion TV + Web XboX and pc with Windows flash.

For my use, I have no flash, and either dlna (via VPN: / but I find it great when I used it), and I would need to be compatible html5 wherever I want ( I have to pepperflash desk under linux: /)

My brother, he has need to flash right now but one day, perhaps, only the html5 or not;)

But from what I understand, the transcoding is optimized via flash, so my suggestion would be:
Default flash left on the server that hosts Serviio and give the possibility of adding the feature html5 as a player.

It would install, and use.
Those who did not need => not install it
Those who need (full linux, only music, restriction) => it installs and uses

So much for my return, and available for the beta test if needed;)

Eric

-----
Version française :

Hello,

Je poste également mon avis sur le html5.

Ou je bosse, je peux écouter de la musique (\o/) mais pas de flash _-_, => Mediabrowser is dead.

Serviio me sert à écouter de la musique au travail, pourrait le faire dans mon auto, chez moi. Mais je m'en sers également à matter des films/documentaires téléchargés sur le web à regarder plus tard (des interview IT and co) et comme des séries.

Mais je suis pas le seul, mon frère l'utilise en Web et DLNA, (je fais du distance avec un serveur auto-hébergé).

J'ai un usage full Linux, alors que lui utilise une TV Médion en DLNA + XboX et le Web sur pc avec du flash sous Windows.

Pour mon usage, j'ai pas de flash, et le dlna non plus (via VPN? :/ mais je trouve ca génial quand je l'utilisais), et j'aurais besoin du html5 pour être compatible partout ou je le veux (je dois mettre pepperflash sous des desk linux :/)

Mon frère, lui, a besoin de flash en ce moment mais un jour, peut-être, uniquement de l'html5, ou pas ;)

Mais de ce que je comprends, le transcoding est optimisé via flash, alors ma proposition serait la suivante :
Laissé flash par défaut sur le serveur qui héberge Serviio et donner la possibilité de rajouter la feature html5 comme lecteur.

Ca permettrait de l'installer, et de l'utiliser.
Ceux n'en ayant pas besoin => il l'installe pas
Ceux qui en ont besoin (full linux, only music, restriction) => il l'installe et l'utilise

Voila pour mon retour, et dispo pour de la beta test si besoin ;)

Eric
<<

wazer

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:44 am

zip wrote:It's likely that the TV browser will not support HLS streaming, so transcoded files will not work anyway.

I dont really see what the problem is here??.

Universal media server has flash AND html5, the user can pick when selecting the file they wanna play if they want it to be played in flash or html in the control section where you pause,adjust volume etc... why not just add it?

Return to User experiences