FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Solution to 30 minute disconnect problem (v1.2.1)

<<

e.s

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:41 pm

Re: Solution to 30 minute disconnect problem (v1.2.1)

I have the same problem, exactly every 30 minutes serviio dissconects from my samsung tv.

However and this is driving me insane, it does not disconnect on a wired connection, only on a wireless one.

I use a Draytek 2850VN router which are extremely complicated to use, I've been using it for a few years now and I have a good understanding of the hundreds if not thousands of settings available to me, although most settings I just do not touch for fear of messing stuff up :lol:

Anyway, I use windows 10 and have eset smart security as my firewall and antivirus.
Serviio was working fine via wireless until friday, then all of a sudden it started to dissconnect exactly every half hour.

This is what I have done to try to and rectify the problem.

First I uninstalled serviio and then reinstalled, it still had the same problem, then I downgraded to version 1.5.1 and still the same, serviio would lose connection exactly every 30 minutes and although the TV was still physically signed into samsung and I could still go online with it and every other wireless device thats connected to my router, 14 in all, serviio just wouldnt reconnect. When it did disconnect, I opened up the console and pushed refresh and my tv was still there listed as green, I could press the button 20 times and it would remain green but in reality it was not connected to my tv, however if I deleted my tv from the list and then pushed refresh it would not appear in the list, only turning off the TV and turning it back on again would I get serviio to pick up the TV as green again, but as we all know it would bum out at the 30 min mark.

I have bound the TV to its own internal ip in my router, ( was already done when serviio was working ok for years and for weeks in windows 10 ) I have added serviio to the software firewall and my routers firewall, so that its allowed to travel through my internal network without any problems. IGMP snooping is enabled and always has been, UPNP is disabled and always has been, even when serviio was working ok via wireless .

Router firewall options that are enabled and always have been are;
Dos defence
Syn, udp and icmp flood and port scan defence are all enabled with a 200 packets a second threshold before kicking in and blocking the ip that is doing it.
Block; IP Options, Land, Smurf, Trace Route, Syn Fragment, Fraggle Attack, TCP Flag Scan, Tear Drop, Ping of Death, ICMP Fragment and also Block Unassigned Numbers, all those options are blocked.
Strict Security Firewall is enabled and Accept large incoming fragmented UDP or ICMP packets ( for some games, ex. CS )
is also enabled, also tried it with disabled, no go, but it was working ok previously with it enabled.

All the firewall options mentioned above have always been enabled even when serviio was working perfectly.
I also disabled both soft and hardware firewalls just to rule them out but to no avail.
Wireless freq is 5ghz and the TV gets the strongest signal possible according to the bars also long preamble is disabled since their is no need for it since the wireless connection is very good all throughout the house.

This is a very annoying problem, one that I've suffered from on and off for a number of years, when I say that its only happened a couple of times over the years but at the moment I am stuck using a wired connection to the tv, it works fine that way but its not a solution having a 5 metre cat6a cable crossing the living room floor.

Does anyone have any solutions ? As my next course of action is factory resetting the router yet again, but instead of loading up one of the different backup files to the router, I will do it all manually which I REALLY DONT wanna do as it will take a few hours in itself and then if it still doesnt work I will format windows 10 as it only takes about 10 minutes to do a clean install.

Is this a problem with our equipment or is it a problem with serviios code or is it an OS problem ?

Sorry for the long post but I was just describing what my settings are and what I have done to try and fix it.
<<

larus2017

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:04 pm

Do I have Huawei HG8245H does anyone know where this option is?
I have seen the IGMP Configuration option

Can somebody help me

Thanks in advance
<<

PSYCHO

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:35 pm

Hello,

I need your help about a problem that I have on my Serviio Server. My DLNA server disconnects after around 20-30 minutes when I play a movie.

My equipment:
- Samsung TV UE43KU6500 up to date
- router box from my ISP (SFR) up to date with only static IP (for TV, TV decoder, LAN PC, wifi….) for all my equipment and DHCP is ON.
- OS PC on windows 7 SP1 64bits up to date. Yesterday, I did a new windows installation.
- servio is up to date v1.8

I looked for a solution on internet and I found a lot of thing that I tested. But nothing solved myproblem.

My PC has only LAN connection (No wireless connection)

I tested:
- With wired connection between the router and the TV = NOK
- With wireless connection between the router and the TV = NOK
- I tested DLNA server Plex and Windows media player = NOK
- When I read the file with TV or TV decoder (from my ISP) on my PC with serviio, it’s the samething = NOK
- Disable my VPN = NOK
- Disable windows firewall and avira antivirus = NOK
- increase SSDP timeout with the option -Dserviio.advertisementDuration=864000 parameter in th option fil = NOK
- when I watch a movie from youtube, it is ok then internet connection is good.

Information : on my other PC (HP portable) with a wireless connection, same OS, same antivirus I tested during 2 movies and that was ok

could you help me ? i don't know what can i try ?

thank you.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:39 pm

Are you saying the same problem happens with Plex and Windows Media Streaming, as well as Serviio? That certainly indicates a more general problem, and not Serviio specific. My money is on the ISP router. Can you test with a separate network switch, to take the router out of the equation? Plug all your devices (computer, TV, etc.) onto the switch, then connect the switch to the router. This way, if the switch built into the router is causing some sort of firewalling or route control it can be eliminated between your home network devices. You still need the connection to the router to provide DHCP and Internet access, although Internet access isn't necessary for Serviio to work.

If you still encounter issues with this arrangement, then the problem has to be with the computer. Anti-virus, firewall settings, other software interfering, I can't really say. But from your description I believe it's something to do with the network, and the ISP router seems most likely.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Hongybarrosz

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:19 am

Hi,

I use Serviio Pro 1.9 through my PC connected to my Box and watch videos on my Samsung TV and have the same issue with disconnections around 20-30 minutes.
UpNp is ON and I cant manage Multicast on my Box (French Provider Orange).
My Pc W10 is connected with cable ethernet to the Box but the TV player (Livebox 4 player of Orange ISp) is connected to the main box by Wireless. I also use the Mediacenter function of the TV player on my Samsung HD .

It looks like the Serviio service shutdown and restart, sometimes it takes 10 secondes to see it again and somtimes it stays visible.

Since today August 22 I cant see Serviio in the mediacenter..

I restarted box and player several times without any change.

I uninstall 1.8 and try to install 1.9 ang get these errors messages :

Now unable to uninstall or reinstall serviio , I follow the link in thee forum to the topic of the ffmepg update but was impossible to upgrade the file in the \lib folder.

I don't know why I've paid a licence if nobody helps me..

Does any one have a solution ?

I really would appréciate any helps.

August 23 : Today I try to install again version 1.9 but chage the install folder to D:\program Files and it works , I don't know if this will resolved my problem will check and update this topîc tomorrow .
August 24: I test with a cable ethernet today between the Livebox player and the libebox server and it works no disconnection, strange because my TV player is connected by wireless , I think this could be a n issue with the WiFi .
Looking to Wifi configuration in my admin console to make some changes and verifications.
August 26: Yesterday evening that was working fine, no disconnection at all strange .

Augus 27: After controoling my Wifi configuration and disable Gest Wifi Acces it seems to work fine non, not sure these settings are the solution to the problem for others but becasue of 2 range of WiFi 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz I disactive the 2.4 for Guest wifi access (external access) . Since this action everything looks fine.

Sept 13: after 10 days of holidays I come back holme yesterday and disconnection are back again, this makes me hungry !!

Thanks to the community

Regards :D :D
Attachments
Serviio-error-serviioservice.PNG
serviioservice.exe error
Serviio-error-serviioservice.PNG (65.9 KiB) Viewed 42510 times
Serviio-error-ffmpeg.PNG
ffmepg error
Serviio-error-ffmpeg.PNG (58.19 KiB) Viewed 42510 times
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:49 pm

I know it's been quite a while since you posted. My apologies for not responding sooner. I just overlooked it. :oops:

Those two errors that you provided screenshots for (thank you!) could be the same problem or could be two different things. First, the first error appears to be a permissions issue. Even though your user account may have administrator rights, sometimes you still need to take the extra step when installing and right-click the install file and select "Run as Administrator".

The second error could be the same issue as above, or it could be that ffmpeg is in use and can't be altered. Windows (unlike Linux) will not allow a file to be altered (replaced, removed or renamed) if it is in use. That makes me think that something (in this case Serviio itself) was still transcoding a file. Remember that simply stopping a video playback does not stop the transcoding process. If you open task manager and view processes by all users (that's the default in Windows 10, but 7 and earlier default to only processes running under your user account), chances are you'll see ffmpeg still running. The solution is to stop the ffmpeg process, and then you can attempt the install again.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

PSYCHO

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:31 am

hello atc98092

Sorry for the delay but i installed a switch and all the RJ45 cable in my home (8 parts). Now my ISP router is connected to a netgear switch JGS516 (simple switch, it is no-manageable) and my problem is the same : 20 minutes after the film starting i had a network connection and the film stop. Now i use serviio v1.9.
As you said, now the problem had to be the computer but i don't know that i have to check. Do you have an idea ?
I tested on my Two PC with the same windows 7 (up to date) and it's the same thing.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:03 pm

Well, my next thought is Windows is shutting down the network connection because of something power or sleep related. I usually go into the Device Manager and disable power management on my network adapter. I also disable any sleep or hibernate settings in the power settings. it should not be doing so if the adapter is in use, but who knows with Windows sometimes.
Dan

<<

Clarky666

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:47 pm

pcbrand wrote:Trying to give something back to the community here, hopefully this will help save a lot of time and frustration for the folks who see this issue.

Symptom:
Playing videos would result in "Device disconnected" 20-30 minutes into the file being played.
After this error occurs - Serviio was no longer visible from my TV (LG LM9600).
Only way to bring it back was to restart the tv, at which point I will get another 30min of play before I had to do it all again.
Another TV set (also LG) somewhere else in the house was working just fine.
All TVs are connected via hard-wired ethernet - no WIFI.

Troubleshooting/Background:
Trying various server side solutions (ie. modifying settings in Serviio, downgrading serviio, using other DLNA servers, etc.) did not solve the issue. Increasing the Serviio timeout value on SSDP simply deferred the problem but did not solve it. In other words, setting the timeout to 2 hours, meant that you could now watch a movie for about 2 hours before it fails, but it would still fail.
I decided to look at the network hardware. The only difference between the network setup of the two TVs was that the one that had problems was going through a D-Link router/switch, while the other one that worked flawlessly was on LinkSys. After doing extensive searching on the internet I found the hint to the solution on a Philips TV support site.
The issue turned up to be IP Multi-Cast protocol support by the router, which is needed by most DLNA/UPNP servers in order to effectivel;y advertise their presence. To make a long story short, some routers do not have multi-cast support turned on by default, or have an inconsistent implementation of this support. This results in exactly the kind of behavior I was experiencing (disappearing Serviio).

Solution:
For me it was to turn on UPNP and IPv4 Multicast support on my D-Link router (off by default) - this in the Advanced>Advanced Networking tab. If still having issues - turn off IPv6 multicast support - and leave only IPv4 multicast turned on. This setting seemed to cause some issues for some folks.
The LG TV now works perfectly with Serviio.

If you see this issue on other routers, especially if you using DD-WRT or other custom firmware - I would recommend digging through the settings to find both UPNP and Multicast and make sure these are turned on.

Just signed up to reply and acknowledge this - been scratching my head regarding this for quite a while and this solution worked a treat.

To summarise i had Serviio running on two televisions. One was an older 2013 model LG which always worked a treat, i then bought myself a new Samsung KS8000 series last year for my living room and shunted the LG to the bedroom. Samsung has never missed a beat since i got it but the LG started getting the disconnect problem (didn't realise it was specific to 30 minutes until i read up online and started to time it and, low and behold, bang on 30 minute mark each time) around three or four months ago.

Samsung was hardwired Cat5 straight from the router under the floorboards and into the TV.
LG was hardwired but through an Linksys powerline adapter

I'm reasonably IT literate so i'd messed about with a stack of stuff ranging from static IP's to trying it over wireless. I was at the stage - via process of elimination - that the only mitigating factor could have been the powerline adapter so i even went as far as borrowing a 20 metre cat5 cable from work to run it the length of the house from router>TV to try and eliminate that......same problem persisted though regardless of which method. Weird thing was i even tested it by having Serviio streaming on both TV's at the same time, thinking that when it dropped out it might be the PC or the application itself, but as soon as the LG dropped out i nipped into the living room and the Samsung was still playing as normal without any issue. I even went into the loft and dug out my Playstation3 and fired that up through the LG (both wired and wireless) and still got the 30 minute disconnect :|

I'd actually given up on it and not paid much attention to it for a couple of months but my wife was watching something last night in the room and was complaining about the disconnect problem so i read up on it a little more and the above fix has done the trick. Incase it's of any benefit to others i'm running an ASUS AC68U

LAN > IPTV then 'enable' the middle two drop downs.

Glad it's fixed, but still at a loss why it started happening all off a sudden. As i said the LG never had the problem untill a few months back and other than Serviio pushing out a new version nothing had changed at my end.

Thanks again - much appreciated 8-)
<<

Ulli

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:52 pm

i have the same every 30 minutes disconnection with servio 1.92 and my toshiba tv.
tv is connected by wire to my fritzbox 7590.

my english is not very good and i cannot not find any setting in my fritzbox (router) that helps.

any idea for me?

Ulli
<<

fanebecks

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:48 am

HI,

i had the same problem and what i did was to disable the option that windows could stop the network adapter to save power:

To disable all Power Management settings in Device Manager, expand Network Adapters, right-click the adapter > Properties > Power Management, and then clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box.

Hope it helps.
<<

blackiyto

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:56 pm

Thanks for the info.
I had a problem similar to this. My TV couldn't see serviio at all when UPNP was on in my router.
192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 jpg to pdf
<<

turulob95

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:53 pm

Hi, I have the same problem, it's driving me crazy. But I have Apple AirPort Express router and couldn't find any of these setting. Does anyone please have any tips? Thanks in advance. downloadthoptv.com

hellodear
Last edited by turulob95 on Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:58 pm

turulob95 wrote:Hi, I have the same problem, it's driving me crazy. But I have Apple AirPort Express router and couldn't find any of these setting. Does anyone please have any tips? Thanks in advance.

But did you change the power settings on your network adapter on the computer so the operating system can't power off the adapter? That resolves the issue for many users. This is assuming you are truly having the same 30 minute disconnect during playback. Most routers/access points won't have any settings that would impact something like this.
Dan

<<

piotrek211

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:39 pm

Hi
the best solution is to change one line in servio.bat file in C:\Program Files\Serviio\bin folder. Since i've made it like this i have no problems with disconnections.

in line JAVA_OPTS delete command "-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true"

set JAVA_OPTS=-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dorg.restlet.engine.loggerFacadeClass=org.restlet.ext.slf4j.Slf4jLoggerFacade -Dserviio.home="%SERVIIO_HOME%" -Dderby.system.home="%SERVIIO_HOME%\library"
set SERVIIO_CLASS_PATH=%SERVIIO_HOME%\lib\*;%SERVIIO_HOME%\config

it will look like below

set JAVA_OPTS=-Djava.awt.headless=true -Dorg.restlet.engine.loggerFacadeClass=org.restlet.ext.slf4j.Slf4jLoggerFacade -Dserviio.home="%SERVIIO_HOME%" -Dderby.system.home="%SERVIIO_HOME%\library"
<<

SavoGamer

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:01 pm

I try another file and it loads and plays ok. I then stop and try the file that had the disconnect and it will play out now but the quit again after 30 minutes. Frustrating, especially when trying to watch a 42-minute episode...
<<

piotrek211

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:52 pm

SavoGamer wrote:I try another file and it loads and plays ok. I then stop and try the file that had the disconnect and it will play out now but the quit again after 30 minutes. Frustrating, especially when trying to watch a 42-minute episode...

Hi
the best solution is to change one line in servio.bat file in C:\Program Files\Serviio\bin folder. Since i've made it like this i have no problems with disconnections.

set JAVA_OPTS=-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dorg.restlet.engine.loggerFacadeClass=org.restlet.ext.slf4j.Slf4jLoggerFacade -Dserviio.home="%SERVIIO_HOME%" -Dderby.system.home="%SERVIIO_HOME%\library"

it will look like below

set JAVA_OPTS=-Djava.awt.headless=true -Dorg.restlet.engine.loggerFacadeClass=org.restlet.ext.slf4j.Slf4jLoggerFacade -Dserviio.home="%SERVIIO_HOME%" -Dderby.system.home="%SERVIIO_HOME%\library"
<<

blocked

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:56 am

piotrek211 wrote:Hi

it will look like below

Hello, i have set this in C:\Program Files\Serviio\bin\serviio.bat but i still have the problem.
After 15 minutes(or more) of watching the movie it's blocked with a loading animation at the center.
If i go back, to Serviio movie folder, nothing is displayed. After 1-2 minutes of waiting the folder it's showing the list of all my videos.
What can I do?
I have TV Samsung RU7400 and Serviio v 2.0
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:29 pm

I believe for Serviio version 2.x you need to instead make those changes in the user.vmoptions file located in the Serviio\Config folder. Don't forget you have to restart Serviio for the new settings to take effect.
Dan

<<

turulob95

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:09 am

I had a problem similar to this. My TV couldn't see serviio at all when UPNP was on in my router. vidmate
mobdro
PreviousNext

Return to Serviio Support & Help