FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

serviio and windows 10

<<

Morden2004

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:28 pm

Re: serviio and windows 10

atc98092 wrote:
It doesn't seem to be a permissions problem because I also run my Microsoft Office Outlook off that WDMyCloud drive and under Windows 8 it worked fine and under Windows 10 it works too ...

But you are running Outlook logged in as you, not a system service. Serviio runs as a local computer service, and its permissions for network access are not the same as your user account. In fact the local system user has very few network permissions unless you specifically grant them. That's why I suggest changing the user account the Serviio uses to run its service. Change it to the same user account you use to log into the computer (don't forget the password, if any), and then see if Serviio sees the content on the NAS. My guess is it will. :)

And yet the Serviio library build will access the WDMyCloud data because it manages to read the folder names and recreate them in the Serviio database! It just doesn't seem to be able to read the file data. :cry:

Paul
<<

Morden2004

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:40 pm

atc98092 wrote:
It doesn't seem to be a permissions problem because I also run my Microsoft Office Outlook off that WDMyCloud drive and under Windows 8 it worked fine and under Windows 10 it works too ...

But you are running Outlook logged in as you, not a system service. Serviio runs as a local computer service, and its permissions for network access are not the same as your user account. In fact the local system user has very few network permissions unless you specifically grant them. That's why I suggest changing the user account the Serviio uses to run its service. Change it to the same user account you use to log into the computer (don't forget the password, if any), and then see if Serviio sees the content on the NAS. My guess is it will. :)

How do I change the user account that Serviio uses at startup?

Paul
<<

edsenos

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:42 am

I turned off the firewall service and it worked like a charm...
<<

Morden2004

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:55 am

edsenos wrote:I turned off the firewall service and it worked like a charm...

That's great!

I always run with the Windows Firewall OFF so I don't know if that's an issue for me. I will recheck those settings however.

In the meantime, on my startup this morning Windows 10 has now decided that I (the Administrator & Owner of all resources) do not have permission(s) to open the WDMyCloud non-public directories!

You gotta' love Microsoft! :twisted:

Paul
<<

Morden2004

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:13 pm

I had to make some permissions changes to WDMyCloud first thing this morning as Windows 10 would not let my access my non-public shares. Damn strange behavior.

Now I have good and fast access to the WDMyCloud but Serviio service does NOT have access to the files on the WDMC. I am stumped. I even changed the access permissions (serviio.cdsAnonymousAccess) to TRUE (meaning that Serviio will not require user authentication) but that did not seem to help (assuming I did it correctly :oops: ).

Can we hear from the Serviio developers as to how they can test and verify this anomaly under Windows 10? I need my Serviio streaming service back!

Paul
<<

Morden2004

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:56 pm

For the moment I am giving up trying to get Serviio to use the WDMyCloud as the library source. I am putting my libraries back on a local Win 10 drive until someone comes up with an answer.

:cry:
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:06 am

Morden2004 wrote:
atc98092 wrote:

Paul

Sorry, been out of town all week and didn't see your question.

To change the user that Serviio uses to run the service, click the start button and type services. The search will bring up the Services app, and you can select it. When it opens, scroll down to the Serviio service. Double-click on Serviio.

In the window that opens, there is a Log On tab. Select it. You will see it is set to log in as the "Local System Account". This account has no permissions on your WDMyCloud, so we need to change to an account that does. Click where it says "This Account:", then click the Browse button.

This opens a user search box. Type in the name you use to log into the computer, then click the "Check Names" button. If the name is correct, it will become underlined. If the name is wrong (misspelled?) an error box opens. Once you have the correct name, click OK.

You are now back on the Log On tab. Enter the password of that user account (if you have one, else remove what's there and leave them blank), then click OK.

You now have to restart the service. It can be done on the General tab (stop then start), or you can just reboot the computer. After it restarts, you can check to make sure Serviio started, and then watch your movies begin to show up! :D
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Morden2004

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:53 am

atc98092 wrote:
Morden2004 wrote:
atc98092 wrote:But you are running Outlook logged in as you, not a system service. Serviio runs as a local computer service, and its permissions for network access are not the same as your user account. In fact the local system user has very few network permissions unless you specifically grant them. That's why I suggest changing the user account the Serviio uses to run its service. Change it to the same user account you use to log into the computer (don't forget the password, if any), and then see if Serviio sees the content on the NAS. My guess is it will. :)

Paul

To change the user that Serviio uses to run the service, click the start button and type services. The search will bring up the Services app, and you can select it. When it opens, scroll down to the Serviio service. Double-click on Serviio.

In the window that opens, there is a Log On tab. Select it. You will see it is set to log in as the "Local System Account". This account has no permissions on your WDMyCloud, so we need to change to an account that does. Click where it says "This Account:", then click the Browse button.

This opens a user search box. Type in the name you use to log into the computer, then click the "Check Names" button. If the name is correct, it will become underlined. If the name is wrong (misspelled?) an error box opens. Once you have the correct name, click OK.

You are now back on the Log On tab. Enter the password of that user account (if you have one, else remove what's there and leave them blank), then click OK.

You now have to restart the service. It can be done on the General tab (stop then start), or you can just reboot the computer. After it restarts, you can check to make sure Serviio started, and then watch your movies begin to show up! :D

Thank you for your help. That seems to have done the trick! I am waiting for it to finish the rescan of the library on the WDMyCloud but already I have music and movies streaming from the device.

:D

Paul
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:44 pm

Excellent! :D

Dan
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

fabcit

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:12 pm

[/quote]

You now have to restart the service. It can be done on the General tab (stop then start), or you can just reboot the computer. After it restarts, you can check to make sure Serviio started, and then watch your movies begin to show up! :D[/quote]

Thank you for your help. That seems to have done the trick! I am waiting for it to finish the rescan of the library on the WDMyCloud but already I have music and movies streaming from the device.

:D

Paul[/quote]

Thanks for the tip... but I cannot restart Serviio afterwards, it says logon error. I don't have a password for my account and follwoed your instructions... any idea ?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:10 am

I'm not 100% certain, but to use a service you may need an account with a password. Still, did you use your current account and leave the password field blank?

You can always create a password for your account, then set Windows to login automatically, without requiring entering a password. Serves the same purpose (computer starting up without asking for a password).

Just found this:
By default all modern versions of Windows have a Local Security policy that restricts users with blank passwords to logging on at the local console only. In other words, a user with a blank password must physically be at the computer in order to log on. The user cannot log on as a service, as a batch user, over a network, etc.

There is a workaround, but it's considered a security hole and risk.
Dan

<<

ceeport

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:32 am

Had same problem when I upgraded to windows 10. I noticed that the upgrade changed my network connection to 'public'. I changed it back to 'home' network in network settings which allowed sharing folders and it fixed the problem.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:17 pm

ceeport wrote:Had same problem when I upgraded to windows 10. I noticed that the upgrade changed my network connection to 'public'. I changed it back to 'home' network in network settings which allowed sharing folders and it fixed the problem.

Now that you mention it, I think mine did as well. Good catch!

When listed as a public network, Windows defaults to being pretty well locked down. Not a bad thing, you know! :D
Dan

<<

Gnozz

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:25 pm

Since I installed Windows 10 my TV a Sony BRAVIA 2009 Serviio could not see, I carefully read and applied all the tips of your posts but no result. Finally, I changed the name of my PC and everything is solved
<<

aspenny

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:23 am

Not sure why there are no replies to the Windows 10 / Serviio compatibility, but I just did the upgrade to Windows 10 tonight and was able to get Serviio working OK.
Last edited by aspenny on Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:46 pm

aspenny wrote:Not sure why there are no replies to the Windows 10 / Serviio compatibility, but I just did the upgrade to Windows 10 tonight and was able to get Serviio working OK by editing the firewall settings for Windows 10 to allow C:\Program Files\Serviio\bin\ ServiioConsole.exe & ServiioService.exe to communicate through firewall. Although that instantly allows my Sony Blu-Ray to access Serviio, the connection is lost after a reboot. I find I have to go and edit the firewall rules again to fix the connection to Serviio. Not sure why the connection gets screwed up after every reboot. It is like Windows 10 ignores the rule. Anyone have any suggestions?? Will the next version 1.6 resolve the compatibility with Windows 10?

For unknown reasons, it seems that different people have different results. I have Serviio on both Windows 7 and 10, and neither of them have ever exhibited these issues. I never had to edit the firewall, and nothing changes after a reboot.

Make sure your network connection is listed as a Home network, not work or public. You might try disabling the firewall for a home network connection and see if that resolves the issue. If it does, there's likely something in the firewall settings that you've set incorrectly. The few times I've looked at those settings, there's a whole lot of them to go through, and you might be missing one. Good luck! :D
Dan

<<

aspenny

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:29 am

I edited my previous post to remove some info that never solved some issues I was having with Serviio after upgrading to Windows 10. After a lot of troubleshooting and loading software I found the cause of all my headaches was my Sony Blu-Ray player BDP-S5200. I was having a ton of connection issues with Serviio when using the Blu-Ray and could not figure out why it would start and stop working for no reason. In the end I found that something must have changed slightly in the settings it had for the Serviio server after I re-loaded Windows and I needed to do a reset / factory defaults on the Blu-Ray player. The reset wiped out all my network settings and all dlna servers it had listed. Once I entered the wireless network info again, Serviio was discovered and worked flawlessly. I am still puzzled about what the issue was. The MAC address, computer name, and IP address never changed, but that Blu-Ray player did not want to connect to Serviio. I sure hope this helps someone else out. This all started after my initial Windows 10 upgrade. To solve the problem after the initial upgrade I wiped the machine to do a clean Win 10 install, wiped the machine again to do a clean Win 8.1 install, and finally upgraded back to Windows 10 after having the same issue with Serviio in Windows 8.1 and figuring out the problem.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:38 pm

I have several Sony players, and they all have the ability in the menu to remove the DLNA servers found. Using this, you would not have needed to reset the entire player. But, you accomplished the same thing, so good job!

The Sony brand seems to be the only one that retains a list of media servers, even if they are no longer found. I don't know the purpose, unless it somehow speeds up the starting process. But as you found, clearing the list out can resolve connection issues.
Dan

<<

MegaMike

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:02 am

I have just upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. Serviio will not start at all now. When I boot Windows 10, I received an error message "Cannot connect to Serviio server, it does not seem to be running. Exiting..."

I try to start it manually but but this doesn't help. I am also unable to open the Serviio Media Browser. Earlier in this thread there was a mention of trying http://localhost:23423/rest/service-status using a Chrome browser but that didn't work either.

My Serviio version is 1.5.2. It was working perfectly with Windows 7. By now, Windows 10 must be a stable version. Serviio appears to be the only app not working under this new platform. Help would be greatly appreciated.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:32 pm

Post a detailed log file showing the server starting. That should tell us why.

Have you tried re-installing Serviio (over the top of the existing installation)?
Have you tried re-installing as a new installation (rename the existing C:\Program Files\Serviio folder to C:\Program Files\ServiioOld and then do a clean install).
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
PreviousNext

Return to Serviio Support & Help