FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Samsung UN65JS9000 not supporting .mkv?

<<

rijahmed

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:53 pm

Samsung UN65JS9000 not supporting .mkv?

hi! so i recently ripped a few dvd's to my macbook and the only format that worked that wouldn't keep crashing was .mkv so i had no choice but to make the video files into those. i tried opening them using serviio onto my samsung tv but every time i try i get an error saying "an unexpected error has occurred" and that the files actually show as .mpg on my tv. i have other .mp4 files that show up that work perfectly fine, though. these .mkv files also work fine on my other samsung tv's. is there some way to fix this? converting all the files will take me hours. thanks.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:51 pm

Re: Samsung UN65JS9000 not supporting .mkv?

rijahmed wrote:hi! so i recently ripped a few dvd's to my macbook and the only format that worked that wouldn't keep crashing was .mkv so i had no choice but to make the video files into those. i tried opening them using serviio onto my samsung tv but every time i try i get an error saying "an unexpected error has occurred" and that the files actually show as .mpg on my tv. i have other .mp4 files that show up that work perfectly fine, though. these .mkv files also work fine on my other samsung tv's. is there some way to fix this? converting all the files will take me hours. thanks.

What profile are you using? Your TV should play those without transcoding (it will play mpeg2 video and ac3 audio in an MKV container), but if it's showing .mpg that means a transcoding rule is being applied. There is a Samsung J profile, so that's the one you should be using. You could also try the generic profile, which transcodes nothing.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

rijahmed

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:28 am

atc98092 wrote:
rijahmed wrote:hi! so i recently ripped a few dvd's to my macbook and the only format that worked that wouldn't keep crashing was .mkv so i had no choice but to make the video files into those. i tried opening them using serviio onto my samsung tv but every time i try i get an error saying "an unexpected error has occurred" and that the files actually show as .mpg on my tv. i have other .mp4 files that show up that work perfectly fine, though. these .mkv files also work fine on my other samsung tv's. is there some way to fix this? converting all the files will take me hours. thanks.

What profile are you using? Your TV should play those without transcoding (it will play mpeg2 video and ac3 audio in an MKV container), but if it's showing .mpg that means a transcoding rule is being applied. There is a Samsung J profile, so that's the one you should be using. You could also try the generic profile, which transcodes nothing.

oh i saw others post that using c/d would be best (which worked for my other tv), but i'll try that and see if it works. thank you for replying!
<<

rijahmed

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:13 pm

atc98092 wrote:

ah...so i tried and it didn't work? i tried j profile and generic too but it still came up as .mpg. i also turned off transcoding underneath the "delivery" option. is there anything else i can do?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:48 pm

rijahmed wrote:
atc98092 wrote:

ah...so i tried and it didn't work? i tried j profile and generic too but it still came up as .mpg. i also turned off transcoding underneath the "delivery" option. is there anything else i can do?

I'll look at my JU this evening, but I don't recall my MKV files being listed as MPG. Maybe Samsung messed things up with a firmware update. Wouldn't be the first time... :roll:
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:28 pm

Yep, checked my JU last night, and MKV files were listed that way in the Samsung menu. Did you press the Save button after making the changes? Especially after changing the profile, because you have to save it twice. Once after changing the profile, then again when you return to the main list. If you missed that 2nd save, it didn't really save or become the profile used.
Dan

Return to Samsung