FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New user with some questions

<<

rugbyrene

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:34 am

New user with some questions

Hi all,

New user of Serviio and have some questions that hopefully someone on the forum has answers to.

The first question-
1. Is there a Smart TV app that gives the same user experience as say PLEX or INFUSE? The folder structure on my Samsung KS8000 is pretty awful.
2. The thumbnails only show screen grabs in very low resolution. I can't seem to get movie art to show. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

R
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:48 pm

Re: New user with some questions

I answered some of this in your feature request post. I agree that the Samsung DLNA experience is less than stellar. :lol:

The thumbnail quality can be improved somewhat by editing the Profiles.XML file in the config folder where Serviio is installed. At the end of the very first profile, there's a line that specifies resolution. Not at home, so I can't quote it precisely, but you will find a line that includes the word resolution, and the tag is DLNA. Change DLNA to HD, then restart Serviio. That means either restarting the service or rebooting the computer. Using the Stop and Start button on the console does not control the service.

There's also a recent post that describes specifying the specific image resolution. See it here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21833
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

rugbyrene

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:49 pm

Thanks for the reply.

One further question:

I found I can use Infuse and Serviio on the ATV4 which gives a much better user experience. My question is, my tv supports m2ts files but the ATV doesn't. Will my files be transcoded or be played natively. Infuse also supports m2ts files.

I prefer to watch my movies in native m2ts format and not have them transcoded.

Regards,

R
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:46 am

rugbyrene wrote:Thanks for the reply.

One further question:

I found I can use Infuse and Serviio on the ATV4 which gives a much better user experience. My question is, my tv supports m2ts files but the ATV doesn't. Will my files be transcoded or be played natively. Infuse also supports m2ts files.

I prefer to watch my movies in native m2ts format and not have them transcoded.

Regards,

R

I had to search for what ATV4 was :lol:

Transcoding for each device is handled by the profile selected in the console on the Status tab. If Serviio doesn't recognize your device, then the generic profile is assigned, which transcodes nothing. There is not a specific iOS profile, so some experimentation might be in order. You could try the Roku profile, as I believe it has similar codec support as the Apple TV. The Chaneru profile is also written for the Roku, but transcodes everything into applehttp format, which I am positive the ATV supports. Both of those profiles have a bitstream limitation added when transcoding video, and I don't know if the ATV needs it.

For your TV, it's a matter of choosing the correct profile, assuming Serviio did not identify it correctly. You can start with the generic profile and see what plays, then go from there.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to User experiences