FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What Setups Do People Use?

<<

Wiggz

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:29 pm

What Setups Do People Use?

Hi all,

I've been using Serviio for some time now and have a Q9550-based system running Serviio serving a maximum of 7 devices at once, although it's usually just three.

I was just wondering what setups people use? So what is the base system, how is it connected, and the throughput/streaming scenarios you guys use? I've always been intrigued as to whether I'm normal or abnormal (no funny comments :) ) in terms of how I use Serviio.

I'll start:
- Q9550 quad core CPU
- Asus P5Q-Pro motherboard
- 8GB RAM
- 2 x 4TB WD Reds in RAID1

Stream to a number of Samsung TVs, multiple laptops and mobile devices and use the Mediabrowser for when I'm away :)#

I might look for another machine at some point because I'm going to need to upgrade the 4TB drives soon so might look at something completely different.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: What Setups Do People Use?

My hardware is in my sig line. Wired gigabit Ethernet, along with 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless. Stream to multiple Roku players, Panasonic plasma and Samsung 4K TV, along with some smaller sets in the house. Will also occasionally connect to MediaBrowser when traveling if my hotel connection is fast enough for streaming from home. Sometimes I have enough bandwidth for Netflix but doesn't work well from my server. That of course could be the relatively slow outbound speed I have (5 Mbps). Inbound DSL connection is between 40-50 Mbps. I pay for 40, but sometimes it connects faster (currently around 44 Mbps).
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Rhialto

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:36 am

Serviio runs on a QNAP NAS here and DLNA to a Panasonic GT50. It's not perfect, profile is bugged so I have to cheat with another profile. I hope it will get fixed and also hope .MPO support will come soon because I have thousands of 3D pictures. I haven't found a program supporting this yet after testing a few but I'd like Serviio to succeed because I like the interface and it's packaged for QNAP also, no idea if QNAP is involved or not though.
New NAS owner, having a look at Serviio...
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:58 am

My host is windows 7 x86 dual core desktop with 2tb hard drive.

Plays to chromecast or panasonic bluray with my android phone as the remote.

Works well for my purposes, I don't try to access it outside the home network or watch live streams or anything fancy I don't even have the metadata turned on so it's pretty fast.

Most of my videos are cartoons not the most hi quality resolution.

I know there are better setups out there but my tv's are old plasma and lcd nothing to write home about so I haven't invested much in home media.
<<

Wiggz

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Nice one to start with.

I'm on the lookout for something to smash my Q9550, maybe Ryzen.

Any suggestions if they had to start again from scratch?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:20 am

Wiggz wrote:
Any suggestions if they had to start again from scratch?

I'd likely stick with Windows, but that's what I'm most comfortable with. I prefer my media on the same hardware as the server so it's not clogging my network moving media from a NAS to the server to the player. I don't feel that any NAS has enough power to support HD transcoding (particularly H.265), and certainly not for multiple streams. I used to work with Linux, but it's been a while and I'm really rusty. I have no experience at all with a Mac.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

Wiggz

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:26 pm

I tend to only grab 720p movie titles a they still look more than acceptable to me and I can fit more on my 6TB RAID array...but does anybody dabble in 4K?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:26 pm

Wiggz wrote:I tend to only grab 720p movie titles a they still look more than acceptable to me and I can fit more on my 6TB RAID array...but does anybody dabble in 4K?

I have a few demo clips I've downloaded, just to play with HDR. On my screen size (55"), 4K resolution is only noticeable on videos with spectacular imagery, but HDR is absolutely a valuable addition.
Dan

Return to General discussion