FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Do i need to Transcode

<<

sharok

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:45 am

Do i need to Transcode

Good Evening,
I use Oppo-103 and I just downloaded Serviio for the first time (have not used it yet).
I do not know what transcoding is. Since I use Oppo-103 (in the process of getting an external processor for my 4K TV), should I leave the "Enable Transcoding" checked or should I uncheck it?

What is the difference between transcoding and not transcoding?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Re: Do i need to Transcode

Transcoding is when a file is converted from one format to another "on the fly". It is only necessary if the files are not in a format supported by the player. I don't know what formats the Oppo supports, or what formats you have, so can't say if transcoding is necessary. First thing to do is leave transcoding off and see if there are any files that can't be played. If you don't have any problems, leave it off.

Be aware that the file container (MKV, MP4, AVI, etc.) is not an indicator of the video and audio codecs within. Looking at this page (http://wiki.oppodigital.com/index.php?t ... pported.3F) it appears the Oppo supports almost everything, so unless your media is in a non-supported container (such as WTV: Windows recorded TV) you shouldn't need transcoding.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

sharok

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Do i need to Transcode

Many thanks for the explanation.

Return to Transcoding