<<

MegaMike

Streaming enthusiast

Post Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:49 am

Videos pause or stop completely

serviio.log
This is my log file in case it helps.
(37.43 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
I am having problems playing videos to my TV. At best, they pause for 30-60 seconds, or they stop all together and I'm thrown back to the main serviio menu screen. I am assuming that it's some kind of problem with buffering or maybe that the data stream is not flowing as quickly as it should or could. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips to improve performance, or maybe to help me diagnose exactly where the problem is coming from. Here are my specific details:

serviio 1.9
computer that's wifi connected to the network
i7 processor @ 2.3 GHz
8gb installed computer RAM memory
Win 10 64 bit
The video files are on a NAS network drive that's hard wired to the modem via a network cable
Samsung C edition TV also hard wired to the modem via a network cable.

Some short videos will stop every few seconds. Some longer videos will play 20 minutes before they stop.
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:55 am

Re: Videos pause or stop completely

Is there any way to get wired connection at the laptop?
<<

MegaMike

Streaming enthusiast

Post Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:42 am

freaknik wrote:Is there any way to get wired connection at the laptop?

Hello freaknik,

I did connect a cable to my laptop and did a test. I tried a combination of long and short videos, including clips that always gave me problems before. All these videos played flawlessly with the laptop cable connected to the modem.

There was one other benefit that I didn't expect. My video files are all organized in folders. Before, when I had to navigate to a file, serviio would freeze before eventually kicking me back to the main screen. That didn't happen with the laptop was cable connected.

So where should I focus my attention to try to improve performance? Any suggestions that you might have (or anyone else for that matter) would be greatly appreciated.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:52 am

It might also be a case the video is being transcoded, and something doesn't perform well. You could try disabling transcoding in the console.
<<

MegaMike

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:36 am

zip wrote:It might also be a case the video is being transcoded, and something doesn't perform well. You could try disabling transcoding in the console.

Hello Petr,

I took your advice and disabled Transcoding, but this did not improve performance. I actually had other strange things happening. For example, I would play a video and five minutes into a six minute video, I would receive an error message saying either "Video codec not found" or "Audio codec not found". If a codec was not found, I would think that I would receive this error message immediately (from second one) and not five minutes into the video.

I was thinking that maybe my wifi modem was not performing well. Yesterday, I received a new modem from my I.S.P., but I still don't see any improvement so I don't think it has anything to do with the modem.

I have now turned Transcoding back on. I've also done two other things that might help. I've changed the channel width in my modem from 20GHz to 40GHZ and I've also gone into the Serviio Console and changed the Number of CPU cores to use from Optimal to 4 (my laptop has a quad-four processor). I'm going to carry out some tests for the next few days and I'll report back.

Maybe you can comment on what impact you think these changes might make. Or maybe you'll have other concrete tips that might help.

Thanks for showing interest in helping my solve my problem. I think that Serviio is a great product and I'm constantly recommending it to my friends.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:41 pm

If transcoding is not on, it just sends the file as-is. So either the TV doesn't like the way the file is encoded in the first place, or it might be too high bitrate for the TV to process, ot the network is flaky and misses some packets.
<<

MegaMike

Streaming enthusiast

Post Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:06 pm

zip wrote:If transcoding is not on, it just sends the file as-is. So either the TV doesn't like the way the file is encoded in the first place, or it might be too high bitrate for the TV to process, ot the network is flaky and misses some packets.

I've carried out one last test. In this test, I attempted to play an entire folder of .AVI files with a length between 2 1/2 minutes and 8 1/2 minutes.

The first test was via wifi. The first video in the playlist started and played for about 15 seconds before it stopped and Serviio indicated that there was no connected device.

In the second test, I connected the network cable to my computer. All 11 files in this folder played without a real problem. One video had a minor hiccup and paused twice for about a second or two. But nothing serious.

I have attached my log file from this test in case it helps to diagnose something.

Lastly, this is a problem that I didn't experience to this extreme before I installed version 1.9.

Again, thanks in advance for any advice or tips that you might be able to offer. For example, is there a way to change the bit rate so the TV can process it?
Attachments
serviio.log
To limit it's size, this log file has been filtered.
(499.89 KiB) Downloaded 256 times

Return to Serviio Support & Help