FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Uninstalling On A Mac - Without Terminal

<<

Tanny

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:47 pm

Uninstalling On A Mac - Without Terminal

Hi,

I'm about to uninstall Serviio, and could use some advice. Here are the instruction from the FAQ:

-----------------
How to uninstall Serviio on OSX

To uninstall Serviio from your OSX machine, you have to stop the Serviio daemon, stop the Serviio-Console application. Remove the ServiioConsole from your Applications folder. Then remove the server by executing these commands in Terminal:

sudo rm -rf /Library/Application\ Support/Serviio
sudo rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.serviio.server.plist
rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Serviio-Console-Wrapper
----------------------

My questions are:

1) Can I use the console to stop the server, trash the console, and then remove the files manually, instead of using the Terminal? The Terminal is very powerful, and I am very ignorant of it, so it seems wise to steer clear.

2) I can not find anything on my Mac anywhere called "Serviio-Console-Wrapper". Advice? I do see the rest of the files listed in the FAQ.

Many thanks.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:43 am

Re: Uninstalling On A Mac - Without Terminal

I am not familiar with a Mac, but I can offer one answer. No, you cannot stop Serviio from the console. The Start/stop offered on the console simply turns the DLNA server portion on or off, but the Serviio service continues to run. Beyond that, someone else will need to offer some help here.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Tanny

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:21 pm

Hmm...

I'm guessing I might be the forum's leading expert on the Mac. :-)

To see my concerns, check out this page, which offers dire warnings of various kinds about the Terminal commands being used to uninstall Serviio.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2339856?tstart=0

This might help. The Mac has an activity monitor which lists currently running processes. I can see the Serviio console appear and disappear from the activity monitor as I turn it on and off. But I see nothing that looks like the Serviio server. Turning the server off via console does not change the activity monitor listings.

Point being, how am I going to know for sure when I've actually deleted the Serviio server, which apparently runs continuously and of no benefit to me? Even if I use the Terminal command suggested by the FAQ, I seem to have no way to confirm success.

I will hereby politely refrain from any expression or articulation of my emotional experience of Serviio. Nope, not gonna say a thing, you can't get it out me no matter what, not even under torture, my state of mind in regards to Serviio is highly classified, top secret, on need to know only basis, and shall remain forever a mystery to all but the most savvy and insightful of readers.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi,

to see if you have removed the server, you can run this in Terminal (I know..:-) ):

Code:
sudo launchctl list | grep serviio

If it returns nothing, the server has been removed from the installed services list.
<<

ignatz

Serviio newbie

Post Fri May 19, 2023 1:12 pm

I know it’s been several years, but I can confirm that cutting and pasting the lines in the OP will safely remove Serviio. The Apple forum thread that tanny linked to warns against trying to create your own rm command strings. Now, with Serviio removed, my streamer is working perfectly again…

Return to Serviio Support & Help