FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Support for DRM protected video

<<

labuss

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:12 pm

Support for DRM protected video

Would like to request support for serving DRM protected video (movies), specifically movies purchased through iTunes. Any chance of that happening in a future release? Could even be made an option for the "Pro" version of Serviio. Thanks!
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:38 pm

Re: Support for DRM protected video

That is not possible, sorry.
<<

joeee

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:36 am

That is possible actually.
You can convert DRM protected video (eg, iTunes videos) to plain video format (like MP4, AVI, etc.) with DRM Media Converter.
As long as you use the converted video for personal use (not for bussiness), this kind of action is legal.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:00 am

zip was referring to whether it was possible in Serviio, and it is not. I suspect it's either something he is not prepared to do (for obvious reasons), or it's not technically possible to do in real-time (which is needed for streaming).

Whether it is legal to convert DRM material using other applications depends on your country (and the use of the copied material).
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

Torence

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:55 am

As I know, to convert DRM protected video, we need a DRM removal software to remove DRM protection at first. After that, we can enjoy DRM protected videos on non-Apple devices freely. DRM Media Converter Mac is such a tool for me to convert purchased movies from iTunes 12.7 to common format at 30x faster speed. After conversion, all videos are losslessly. Wish this tip is helpful to you. Good luck.
<<

robertplus

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:18 am

There are many professional DRM removal applications if you search. They are advertised to remove DRM from iTunes videos and convert them to plain videos. If you are bored to try one by one, this ultimate list of DRM Removal would be a geat help.

Return to Feature requests