FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Audio Artist / Album alphabetical indexing order issue

<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:45 pm

Audio Artist / Album alphabetical indexing order issue

I have noted that the listing order is in the wrong alphabetical order for albums with "The" at the beginning.
I have checked the metadata and it is correct.

Example of album titles (within Artist)

Blue Guitars; Texas Blues, Disc 5
The Blue Jukebox - THIS IS IN WRONG ORDER
Chris Rea
Dancing with Strangers

For example the album is "The Road To Hell" not "Road To Hell"

I will check other categories.
Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:22 pm

Re: Audio Artist / Album alphabetical indexing order issue

You will find that most DLNA servers will ignore the letter A or the word The if it's the first word of a title. It seems to be some sort of standard, although I have no idea if it's an actual recorded standard. Plex does the same thing. The folder view gives you the titles in absolute alphabetical order, but to my knowledge that's the only one that does.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:41 pm

atc98092 wrote:You will find that most DLNA servers will ignore the letter A or the word The if it's the first word of a title. It seems to be some sort of standard, although I have no idea if it's an actual recorded standard. Plex does the same thing. The folder view gives you the titles in absolute alphabetical order, but to my knowledge that's the only one that does.

Follow-up
The Album, Album/Artist and Titles categories are all also incorrect.

Dan
I note your comment but surely it is wrong.
Surely all the categories should give the absolute alphabetical order.

I am aware (and even use) the comma option convention e.g. (Rolling Stones, The) and (Beatles, The).
Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:08 pm

No, I'm not wrong.

I just added one of my media folders into Windows Media Player, and when it indexed each file it ignored the word "The" if it's the first word in the title. For example, The Cable Guy is grouped under C, not T. A Letter to Three Wives is under L, not A.

And this is not though Serviio. This is the way Windows groups the titles. Before I decided on Serviio I tried a number of other DLNA servers, and they all did it the same way.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:56 am

atc98092 wrote:No, I'm not wrong.

I just added one of my media folders into Windows Media Player, and when it indexed each file it ignored the word "The" if it's the first word in the title. For example, The Cable Guy is grouped under C, not T. A Letter to Three Wives is under L, not A.

And this is not though Serviio. This is the way Windows groups the titles. Before I decided on Serviio I tried a number of other DLNA servers, and they all did it the same way.

Sorry Dan I was not implying you were wrong but rather that the I thought the concept is wrong.

Looking for "Wall" instead of "The Wall" seems strange to me.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:05 pm

:D
Dan

<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:37 pm

Have added a request for true Alphabetical indexing as an option to BitBucket.

Return to Serviio Support & Help