FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

codec option & subtitle fix

<<

kire

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:23 pm

codec option & subtitle fix

Hi!

First off, im really happy to see that html5 webplayer is now avaible on serviio, its good to see that the developer does listen to feature requests!!

I've got 2 new feature requests that i personally think would make serviio better:

1. a option to switch the default codec serviio uses for transcoding,
i'd suggest the options to be x264 and x265 - ffmpeg supports x265 too and x265 would save alot of network bandwidth while streaming because the small output sizes.

2. subtitle fix for the mediabrowser html5 player - i've noticed that with movies that have a long runtime (2 hrs) the subtitle will stop working out of nowhere, usually around the middle.
this makes the subtitle feature useless to me and forces me to burn subtitles in movies in order to watch them.

Thanks! and i do apologize if my english looks like garbage, i rushed it.
<<

kire

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Re: codec option & subtitle fix

actually the x265 codec might not be suitable for streaming, encoding a 2GB movie to x265 on a i7 cpu took hours for me
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:45 am

Re: codec option & subtitle fix

kire wrote:1. a option to switch the default codec serviio uses for transcoding,
i'd suggest the options to be x264 and x265 - ffmpeg supports x265 too and x265 would save alot of network bandwidth while streaming because the small output sizes.
The ability to change codecs (and to transcode to H264) is already available. It is controlled by the profile associated with the device (or application).
...and yes, transcoding to H265 is processor intensive and not likely to be achievable in real time by most servers. It is not supported by Serviio - nor in my opinion does it need to be. The only time you really need to consider bandwidth is when transcoding for devices on the internet (eg. Mediabrowser) and H264 provides sufficient compression while being supported (presently) by a greater array of devices.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.

Return to Feature requests