FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Roku "Waiting for Media Devices"

<<

ccaptain00

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:02 pm

Roku "Waiting for Media Devices"

I am running Serviio 1.9.1 on a custom built WHS 2011 machine. I stream throughout my home to Roku 2016-2017 Streaming Sticks and Ultras, Models 3600R, 3600RW, 4640R, and 4660R.

Quite frequently, when I open Roku Media Player, Serviio is now shown and I get the message at the top of the screen "Waiting for Media Devices". If I wait anywhere from 2-10 minutes sometimes Serviio will show up, sometimes it won't. If I reboot my whole server, it shows up less than a minute after it is done booting. I have tried stopping and starting the Serviio server from the console but it doesn't seem to help. Restarting the Roku doesn't seem to help. Only restarting the whole server seems to help. I have selected the correct profiles in Serviio though I do not believe this matters at all.

Has anyone else experienced this?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:34 pm

Re: Roku "Waiting for Media Devices"

The stop/start from the console does not stop/start the Serviio service, only the DLNA server itself. Either rebooting or using the Services applet will restart the service.

I have never encountered that problem, although I've not used my WHS 2011 box for Serviio. But with Windows 7 and 10 I have no problems. It sounds like there might be a firewall issue on the WHS box. I have my firewalls disabled, as I'm not concerned with something on my home network infecting them.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

ccaptain00

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:32 pm

Do you know what ports need to be open in the firewall?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:26 pm

ccaptain00 wrote:Do you know what ports need to be open in the firewall?

I knew you were going to ask me that. ;)
http://serviio.org/index.php?option=com ... e&id=21#q1
...make sure that TCP port 8895 and UDP 1900 are open in your firewall.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

ccaptain00

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:14 pm

I did all the following items but I am still having issues:

Selected my only NIC in the Bound IP address setting. (My server is using a Static IP)

I created firewall rules to unblock TCP port 8895 and UDP port 1900 for both incoming and outgoing connections in Windows Firewall (Private networks only)

I set the Serviio service to startup to Automatic (Delayed Start)

Verified IGMP was disabled in router (Asus RT-N66U)

Should I give all my Rokus a static IPs?

It seems to take longer on the streaming sticks (Models 3600R and 3600RW from 2016)

Dan, I see you are using streaming sticks, have you ever had this issue?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:56 pm

I can't say that I have, although I typically only use my Stick in hotel TVs when I'm traveling, so don't have access to Serviio. And there's no way to assign a static IP on your Roku. You're stuck with DHCP.

I do recall someone else having issues with WHS 2011, but I thought it was resolved. Can't remember what might have been a solution. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything about it, however. It's entirely possible that it's a server related issue. Time permitting I'll install Serviio on my WHS 2011 box and see if I have any issues. All I'm really using it for right now is a DNS server, so I may end up wiping it and putting something different on it. ReactOS looks interesting, even though they're only duplicating Windows XP at the moment.
Dan

<<

ccaptain00

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:22 am

I have tried several things with no luck.
BTW I have 6 Rokus.
3 - 2016 Streaming Sticks - Models 3600Rs / 3600RWs
1 - 2016 Ultra - Models 4640RW
2 - 2017 Ultra - Models 4660R
I am getting the same behavior on all of them.
I open Roku Media Player and get the message "Waiting on Media Devices".
I wait anywhere from 2 - 10 minutes and Serviio will finally show up. Running Serviio 1.9.1 on WHS 2011 (i7 4770T, 8 GB Ram, Gigabit LAN).
I found that if I stop and start the Seviio Service (not the server), Serviio will show up almost instantly.
I can start playing a movie, hit the home button, reopen Roku Media Player, and I get "Waiting on Media Devices" again.

I always have transcoding disabled. So ,I tried the Generic DLNA profile and the correct Roku 1080/4K Media Player (2016+) profiles. It made no difference.

Today I gave each Roku a reserved IP address in my Asus Router, then rebooted the router and each Roku. I then assigned profiles. It made no difference.

I have not tried uninstalling and reinstalling Serviio, as my library is quite large and would take forever to rebuild.
<<

ccaptain00

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:46 am

I have also completely disabled Windows Firewall on my WHS 2011 machine.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:13 am

I'm pretty much at a loss. All I can point to is it being a Windows server, rather than a desktop OS. I've spent most of today installing a new SSD as my OS drive on my main Serviio computer and reinstalling Windows 10 clean. I was hoping to try installing it on my WHS 2011 box, just to try it, but I'm not sure I'll have the time. And I have to fly to DC on Monday for the week. But I will find time to give it a shot. But there must be something about the server OS that is causing a problem.

EDIT: Well, I decided to just make time. I did a clean install of 1.9.1, and added a single media folder. I then tried my Insignia Roku TV and saw the server in the list. I was able to browse the one folder I configured, and am currently playing a video with no issue. I'll try some of my other Roku players, but I'm certain they will work as well.

I did have to make one change on the WHS, and that was to completely disable the firewall for all three profiles (domain, private and public). Even though only one profile was active, I decided to disable all three. Before I disabled the firewall, I couldn't even access the console from the server itself.

One thing: did you install WHS as a headless install, or does it have the full GUI? My install is the full DUI, but one person that was having a problem had install server headless.
Dan

<<

ccaptain00

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:24 am

My Windows Server has a GUI.

I believe I have fixed it. The F.A.Q states "There have been problems with some routers' IGMP settings. Turning IGMP proxy off resolved the issue."
This was disabled my default on my router. I never messed with it.

But under the LAN settings, in the IPTV tab, I enabled "Enable multicast routing (IGMP Proxy)" and I enabled "Enable efficient multicast forwarding (IGMP Snooping)"

It now only takes a second to display Serviio. What's funny is how this didn't effect the DNLA app on the Samsung TV.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:29 am

They probably use slightly different methods to accomplish the multicast. Glad you found it. Since it worked fine on mine, it was puzzling me a lot. :D
Dan

<<

Jgraycpa1

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:47 pm

I have also recently started having this same issue. When I try to play media using the Roku media player on my TCL television, I get the message "Waiting for Media Devices".

I saw the post recommending turning off IGMP proxy, but when I checked my Asus RT-N66u router's IGMP settings I saw that it was already disabled.

Out of curiosity I tried enabling IGMP (multicast routing and forwarding) and was pleasantly surprised to see that the media player was now working.

This fix only lasted for four or five days though. The error reoccurs weekly. I have to either restart the media server or restart the serviio services.

Any other suggestions?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:04 pm

Jgraycpa1 wrote:I have also recently started having this same issue. When I try to play media using the Roku media player on my TCL television, I get the message "Waiting for Media Devices".

I saw the post recommending turning off IGMP proxy, but when I checked my Asus RT-N66u router's IGMP settings I saw that it was already disabled.

Out of curiosity I tried enabling IGMP (multicast routing and forwarding) and was pleasantly surprised to see that the media player was now working.

This fix only lasted for four or five days though. The error reoccurs weekly. I have to either restart the media server or restart the serviio services.

Any other suggestions?

I assume it's a TCL Roku TV, not a separate Roku player connected to the TV. I have no issues with either of my Roku TVs connecting to the network. The Sharp is connected to Ethernet, so I wouldn't expect any issues there. The Insignia connects via wireless, and doesn't have any connection issues either. The router it connects to is running Tomato firmware. I have "Efficient Multicast Forwarding" enabled, but that's about it as far as router settings (I only use it as a Wireless Access Point, so there's no internal firewall or routing occurring). I can't even find anything labeled IGMP in its settings. They probably have it labeled differently. But since it's in WAP mode, many of those settings do nothing anyway.
Dan

<<

Jgraycpa1

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:31 am

Dan, the TV that I have most experienced the error on is a TCL Roku TV and not a separate Roku player connected to the TV.

I do however have two other TVs connected via Roku express sticks and have also experienced the "Waiting for Media Devices" error on at least one of those.

The next time that it happens I will check all three to see if it occurs on all of them at the same time and update you.

Thanks.
<<

Jgraycpa1

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:08 pm

The "Waiting for Media Devices" error occurred again today. The problem occurs on all three TVs. One of them (The TCL model) has ROKO built in. The other two (Samsung models) are using Roko Express Sticks.

The Samsung TVs also have their own built in media players for DLNA. I discovered today that when the error occurs the built in media players fail to work as well.

Apparently the problem extends beyond just the Roko media players. It just started a couple of weeks ago.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:59 pm

I'm watching my Roku Ultra 4640 right now, using RMP to watch something on Serviio. I will note that sometimes I get a delay loading the media titles, but I've never encountered an issue seeing the Serviio servers themselves (I have two). However, the wife mentioned that our Insignia Roku TV can't connect to Serviio today, so I'll update here if I find something happening there.
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help