FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Help! Stopped Working!

<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:54 pm

Help! Stopped Working!

Hi
I have been using Serviio for a few years now for streaming videos on my home network between my PC and a WDTV Live box using hard wired Cat 6 ethernet cables and splitter/server.
All has been working well until a few days ago when it decided to stop streaming video!
I use version 1.5.2 as this works for my application and I have found the taskbar is useful: later versions do away with the taskbar and concentrate on remote access / Windows 10 which I would never use.
I have tried the following, but cannot pinpoint the problem:
Restore Windows 7 x64 to a previous date (thinking it might have been an update)
Turn off CyberGhost vpn (not updated, but thinking it might have decided to start blocking my home network)
Turn off Avast anti-virus (thinking it might have been an update)
Turn off Comodo firewall (thinking it might have been an update)
Check all IP adresses to ensure no contention and correct settings (I only use Serviio with my Sony TV and WDTV LIve box active)
Uninstall Serviio and re-install (using the backed up settings)
Test WDTV Live network connection in the software (it checks ok)
Test WDTV Live on another working port of my Ethernet server (between my PC and Squeezebox music player)
I have found that Serviio updates the folders displayed on the WDTV Live box and the list of movies, so some communication is getting through.
I just can't seem to fathom out why the video stream is not working when nothing appears to have changed, but I am sure I have missed something.

I would appreciate any offers of what to try to get my WDTV Live video stream working again.
Thanks in anticipation.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:20 pm

Re: Help! Stopped Working!

Please provide a copy of your Serviio log. We may ask for a detailed log if the general log doesn't provide enough information.

I don't find that Serviio concentrates on remote access or Windows 10. Serviio is not OS specific, and runs on Mac, Linux and NAS devices equally well. The system tray icon is gone, but other than indicating the service was running it didn't have a whole lot of functionality. I run Serviio on Windows 7 and 10 equally well. The remote access is only for the Pro version, and doesn't have anything to do with network streaming. The other major change from your version is the move to a browser based console. I personally like this much better, since I can access the console from any computer on the network.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:37 pm

Do you have the right profile selected?

I agree with atc, I have serviio 1.9.1 on windows 7 and it works without issue, and remote access is turned off by default so..... :?
<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:27 pm

Hi
Thanks for the help. I don't know where my previous reply has gone, but that detailed further tests on my WDTV LIve box and attached the debug log.
Anyway:
I don't think it is a problem with Serviio. My network also uses a Squeezebox media player, and I now note this does not even play flac or MP3 files without problems, so there must have been a change in my PC or server that is restricting the amount of data throughput.
When I find out what has changed (here's hoping!), I'll let you know for future reference.
<<

anniebody

Serviio lover

Post Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:31 pm

I found the problem, Hoorah!
TalkTalk have updated the firmware of my server (without letting me know: shame on you TalkTalk!) and in doing so modified my settings.
Among some other changes, in 'sharing' what used to be 'anonymous users | privilege | read and write' was changed to 'read only'.
This would account as to why the WDTV Live box was being updated with the Servioo file changes and, I assume, the WDTV Live wasn't allowed to send data requests.
I could only discover this because I keep a record of all my settings should I need to re-install or change anything on my network. Worth doing if you have the time.
Thanks for those who offered help.
I hope this may be of some use to others who experience similar server issues.

Return to Serviio Support & Help