FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Roku

<<

user12345678

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:48 pm

Roku

I am using Serviio 1.9.1 on Linux Debian to my Roku 1,2,3 yes 3 different models
First i had issue of no FF or RW so I updated from 1.9 to 1.9.1 which not solve issue
So then I looked at the profiles serviio was using
The Roku profiles lock up and timeout which causes it kick back to roku main screen
So I switched to Gen DLNA Profile, I got FF and RW back sweet. But after a few days of using I started seeing some of my files not showing up.
I reasearched and found the Gen profile will not transcode so I started tinkering with profiles for ROKU and they all locked up and timed out.
All in all the Roku profiles do not work right and the Chanru has same issue, I want to be able to see all my files.
BTW to view them I use the folder option only, the movie option mixes my music with the rest :(.
Any Ideas??
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: Roku

First, your three Roku players have different capabilities. The Roku 1 and 2 should be used with the basic Roku profile (Roku Media Player). The Roku 3 has more power, and should be able to play more without transcoding. Try the profile named "Roku 1080 Media Player (2016+)". If it had a lot of buffering, then you'll need to drop back to the basic profile.

The generic profile does no transcoding, so if your files play with it that's great. But as you noted, files that need transcoding will not appear, as Serviio doesn't recognize them as playable. And they obviously aren't. Roku players only support a limited number of codecs and containers. The video has to be H.264/MP4, and the audio has to be AAC, Dolby Digital, or FLAC. But your TV also has to support the audio used, so FLAC may not be a good option. Any other video and/or audio codec will require transcoding. If you have DVD rips, they will all be MPEG2 video, which Roku only supports with the Roku TVs. So they will always require transcoding.

The basic profile will transcode almost everything, because the early players had issues with bitstreams over about 16 Mbps. I believe the 3 can do better, but I've never had one of those. You will not be able to FF or rewind any transcoded file. That's a limitation of the Roku player and the file type used for transcoding. If HLS transcoding ever supports muti-channel audio, I'll probably change the profiles to use that instead of .ts.

Honestly, your 1 and 2 are obsolete, and can barely keep up with the latest Roku firmware, let alone many of the available channels (apps). I have a 2 XS, and it's worthless for streaming local media, as well as many of the other channels. The lockup issue is most likely tied to the fact they are older boxes. Does the 3 lock up as well? And when does the lockup occur, just browsing the videos or only after selecting one for playback?

As you've noted, the Roku Media Player channel will co-mingle video and audio. Can't say why, but that's what it does. Since I only use Serviio for videos, it hadn't been a big issue for me. But if you have music and/or pictures, it can get messy.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

user12345678

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:58 am

yes the 3 locks up also
when i was running winxp with serviio 1.4 i had no issues
on all devices might just go back to that
<<

user12345678

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:01 am

wonder if Linux debian will run 1.4 ?
I have more computers on the way.
And if i can get this right subs ff rw etc i have others wanting me to fix theres too they hate kodi its slow
they love the serviio interface
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:23 am

You will only get FF and rewind if your videos are in supported containers and contain supported codecs. It doesn't matter what the OS is. See this page for the detail from Roku: https://support.roku.com/article/208754 ... and-photos

If you use Handbrake or some other conversion tool on your videos that don't appear, then everything should work fine. Depending on how many videos that is, that could be a lot of work.

As far as 1.4 working on Serviio, I would expect it will. But remember that version 1.4 is missing a lot of things that newer versions have. You can download it here: http://download.serviio.org/releases/se ... nux.tar.gz

But remember that installing on Linux is not nearly as simple as it is on Windows or a Mac. And the current Linux instructions might not be accurate for the older versions. But since you've installed it on Linux once, you should be able to do 1.4 as well.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

user12345678

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:42 am

should i rollback ffmpeg or keep current build?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:05 am

That shouldn't be an issue. I've never encountered a problem running a newer version of ffmpeg. In fact, I usually change mine to a 64 bit version after I install/update Serviio.
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help