Roku TCL 4K TV with Roku Media Player App - DTS to AC3 help

<<

dobrick

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:35 am

Roku TCL 4K TV with Roku Media Player App - DTS to AC3 help

Hi,

To all the gurus out there -

Can't figure out how to successfully transcode DTS to AC3 in Roku 4k TCL TV (2017 model TCL 55P607)
This TV has a Roku Media Player.

I read up on this here on Google, however, tinkering with the profile for Roku 4k tv and 4k media player didn't help.

Basically, all of the DTS tracks have no sound. Also, when transcoding, the video plays fine, however, it loses rewind/forward capability and can't be resumed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:19 pm

Re: Roku TCL 4K TV with Roku Media Player App - DTS to AC3 h

I thought I modified the Roku TV profiles to always transcode DTS to DD. I'm out of town until tomorrow, but I'll look them over when I get home. I know I have no problem transcoding DTS to DD on mine. When you tried changing the profile, you likely added the line in the wrong place. I did that many times while I was creating those profiles. :lol:

As far using FF: until applehttp supports multi-channel audio, I have stuck with transcoding into TS, and that doesn't support resume or using FF or rewind. I too would like that functionality, but I felt it was more important to retain 5.1 audio.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

dobrick

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:37 pm

[quote= When you tried changing the profile, you likely added the line in the wrong place.[/quote]

Ok. I have to admit I didn't know I have to change any profiles. A total newbie here. I thought a profile get picked up automatically. silly me.

I see two profile that might be applicable

" <Profile id="Roku4kMPApp" name="Roku 4K Media Player (2016+)" extendsProfileId="RokuMPApp">"

and

"<Profile id="Roku4kTV" name="Roku 4K TV" extendsProfileId="RokuMPApp">"

I think that the second one I have to make "Active".

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I do that?

In all honesty, I did spend about 30 min on the website, but couldn't see how to make a profile active. I guess it's too rudimentary of the information. :)

Thank you!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:06 am

Go to the Serviio console, then click on the Status tab. Find your Roku player in the player list. You will see in the profile column it should show "Roku Media Player". That's the basic profile that Serviio assigns to all Roku players, because they don't identify themselves by model number. So, you need to change the profile assignment. Click the edit button in the right column for your Roku player. In the window that opens, click the profile box and select the new profile. For your TV, you should choose the "Roku 4K TV" profile. Click the OK button, then click Save when you return to the Status screen. Make sure you don't forget the Save.

Your TV will now use the correct profile for your TV. This profile will transcode any audio that isn't DD or AAC to DD, since that's all the TV will play. It will transcode any video that isn't supported, as well as supported video in an unsupported container. I have been just recently begun experimenting with ripped UHD Blu Ray videos, and have experienced issues with my Ultra and Roku 4 playing them. But my Sharp 4K TV seems to work fine. More work to do.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

wakingrufus

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:20 pm

I am also having this problem with the out-of-the box profiles for roku with my Roku Ultimate (latest model). I tried adding forceStereo="true" as suggested in the xml comments, but that did not work either.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:36 am

I just checked the profile, and I'm assuming I've not changed anything on my servers. I see the necessary lines to transcode standard DTS are in place for both Roku TV profiles (4K and non-4K). Check your profiles.xml file to make sure these lines are in your profile file for the Roku profile you are using:
  Code:
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="512">
      <Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" aCodec="dca" />
      <Matches container="*" vCodec="h265" aCodec="dca" />
      <Matches container="*" vCodec="mpeg2video" aCodec="dca" />
</Video>

I have two Roku TVs, a Sharp 4K and an Insignia 720p set. I can play files with DTS audio without issue. If you have these lines and still have files that won't play, please post the media information for at least one of them.
Dan

<<

wakingrufus

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:37 pm

atc98092 wrote:I just checked the profile, and I'm assuming I've not changed anything on my servers. I see the necessary lines to transcode standard DTS are in place for both Roku TV profiles (4K and non-4K). Check your profiles.xml file to make sure these lines are in your profile file for the Roku profile you are using:
  Code:
<Video targetContainer="mpegts" targetACodec="ac3" aBitrate="512">
      <Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" aCodec="dca" />
      <Matches container="*" vCodec="h265" aCodec="dca" />
      <Matches container="*" vCodec="mpeg2video" aCodec="dca" />
</Video>

I have two Roku TVs, a Sharp 4K and an Insignia 720p set. I can play files with DTS audio without issue. If you have these lines and still have files that won't play, please post the media information for at least one of them.

This worked for me when I added it to the Roku 4K Media Player (2016+) profile as well as uncommented this line:
  Code:
<Matches container="*" vCodec="h264" aCodec="dts-hd" />

Thanks!
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:38 pm

Good catch. I've never encountered an DTS-HD file, so overlooked adding it to the TV profiles. I'll add that in for the next version. Since we had been discussing DTS, it didn't occur to me that you had a DTS-HD file. Standard DTS and DTS-MA are both already handled in the TV profiles.

The reason it's commented out on the non-TV profiles is that I created the profiles based on the assumption that an external player will be connected to an AVR, which in most cases will process practically all audio codecs. For the TV profiles, that particular audio codec will need to always be transcoded. The commented line only captures DTS-HD if the video codec is H.264. You should probably alter the line to:
  Code:
<Matches container="*" aCodec="dts-hd" />

That's the way I will be changing the two TV profiles.

In fact, I suggest you add the above line to the 4K TV profile, and not use the 4K Media Player (2016+) profile, since your TV will play MPEG2 video but that profile will transcode it. Actually, I just checked both of the TV profiles and that line was already there. However, I don't think it was located in the best place. Placement within the profile impacted which line is used, and I don't think it was where it should have been. Fixed that as well for the next version.

Thanks for the assistance! :D
Dan

Return to Transcoding