FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Migrating from Plex

<<

Nickdunc

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:12 pm

Migrating from Plex

Hi,
I currently have two plex servers. on different machines, both running windows 10 and acting uniquely as servers.
One I use for Music the other for video.
All my media is set up for Plex, and pretty much displays as it should. Were I to move to Serviio, I'd need to try it without disrupting my existing Plex installations.
Is this likely to cause problems? There is a designated port for Plex - is this the same for Serviio or could another be assigned?
Finally, it will be important to be able to use it on tablets both Mac and Android, and Roku. Do the apps work well? Also, I hate ads - are there versions that you just pay for and that's that...?

Many thanks for your advice.
Nick
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:36 am

Re: Migrating from Plex

you can install Serviio next to Plex, no problem.

Re apps, there is ServiiGo for Android. On other platforms you can use the web-based MediaBrowser - both work with the Pro edition only (which you can evaluate for 15 days)
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:56 pm

Re: Migrating from Plex

I have Plex on both of my Serviio boxes without issue. They use different ports, so there's no conflict. There's a rare occasion that I might use Plex for playing something specific on one of my Roku players, but in general I'm much happier with Serviio.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to General discussion