FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Playing MKV's DTS audio in PS3 without transcoding

<<

individual

Serviio lover

Post Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:44 pm

Playing MKV's DTS audio in PS3 without transcoding

Can anyone help me modify PS3 profile to play MKV files with DTS audio without transcoding to AC3? I'm not sure how to do it...

Thanks in advance.
NAS: DS712+, 2x Seagate ST2000DL003
DLNA Server: Synology, Serviio, Twonky, Plex
DLNA Player: Raspberry Pi Raspbmc
DLNA Tablet: Yatse
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:17 pm

Re: Playing MKV's DTS audio in PS3 without transcoding

its not possible it HAS to be transcoded if it didnt we would not bother transcoding it in first place we would just stream it natively ;)
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Samsung LE40C750 LCD | Samsung BD-C5900 | Sony PS3 | Windows 7 |
HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:32 pm

Does the PS3 have the option to passthru the DTS stream to AV receiver for decoding?
<<

individual

Serviio lover

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:11 am

Yes, PS3 has the option to output DTS 5.1, DTS High Resolution Audio, DTS Master Audio among other output formats, including LPCM modes and Dolby Digital modes, all over the HDMI connector. This connector is used especially when connected to dedicated AV Receivers.
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:26 am

Though it ought to work, the problem here is that FFmpeg cannot yet correctly remux dts audio. The PS3 needs mkv files to be remuxed to mpegts. You could try manually remuxing the file with TSMuxer, though you may need to edit the device profile to prevent the audio being transcoded to ac3 when Serviio sends it. However it may be that the PS3 doesn't accept dts audio over DLNA. I don't have a PS3 so you'll have to test this!
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:56 am

zip wrote:Does the PS3 have the option to passthru the DTS stream to AV receiver for decoding?

nope not over DLNA
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

HowTo: Provide supported formats of a device HowTo: Record a new ticket on Bitbucket
HowTo: Provide details of a video file that doesn't play HowTo: Turn on detailed logging
<<

Paulicat

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:24 pm

Passing DTS over DNLA is most definitely allowed by the PS3.
I have plenty of movies with DTS soundtracks and have used PS3MediaServer to passthrough the DTS to my onkyo av receiver.
One key bit of info is that your ps3's audio settings must be set as follows:
"Left + Right" in speaker xmb icon and volume xmb must be set to "Normal".
If either of these 2 are not set as above, you will get ugly noise.
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:30 pm

Paulicat wrote:Passing DTS over DNLA is most definitely allowed by the PS3.
I have plenty of movies with DTS soundtracks and have used PS3MediaServer to passthrough the DTS to my onkyo av receiver.
One key bit of info is that your ps3's audio settings must be set as follows:
"Left + Right" in speaker xmb icon and volume xmb must be set to "Normal".
If either of these 2 are not set as above, you will get ugly noise.

PS3ms must have a work around to get this to work not sure how but ZIP maybe able to answer that.
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

<<

zip

Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:13 pm

MKV gets wrappend into mpegts with ac3, because (based on what petters said) DTS wrapping is not supported by FFmpeg. It's possible that TsMuxer is used to do that in PS3MS.
<<

patters

DLNA master

Post Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:15 pm

It is. So for now you'll need to manually use TSMuxer to remux dts files to mpegts and re-add to your Serviio library. Hopefully they will fix FFmpeg at some point...
LG OLED55B8PLA | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Synology DS214play
Serviio 2.1 package for Synology NAS - with limited hardware transcoding support!
<<

moon1234

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:54 am

You can also exclude mkv from being remuxed into MPEG-TS. Just send change type to DIVX or MKV if the PS3 supports it. That is what you do for the Sony BDP-xxx bluray series.

remuxing to mepg-ts seems to eliminate many of the streaming problems. Give a try sending MKV directly. If it works fine then you don't need to worry about FFMPEG and it's lagging support for DTS.

ZIP:
Any thoughts on supporting TsMuxer or possibly making it configurable in the profile?
<<

zip

Post Mon May 02, 2011 9:39 pm

moon1234 wrote:ZIP:
Any thoughts on supporting TsMuxer or possibly making it configurable in the profile?

I'm not really too enthusiastic about that. I'd very much prefer to distribute only 1 transcoder and hope FFmpeg implements it soon.
<<

powerfuljackson

Serviio newbie

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:31 am

i know a step by step guide on how to play MKV, HD MKV files on PS3/Xbox 360/iPad/iPhone/Android/QuickTime/Zune/PowerPoint/BlackBerry/Nokia and more.
at http://www.bigasoft.com/articles/how-to-play-mkv-files.html
hope it helps more or less
<<

individual

Serviio lover

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:26 am

it doesn't help at all.

I wonder how is not clear that if you change an mkv file into an mp4 then it is the mp4 file that will play on these consoles and not the mkv.

and is not that we didn't know that any file can be converted from/into another format to play on whatever device; it's about serving the same file type onto different devices - that's what a server/transcoder do.

so, no, it doesn't help with anything.
<<

Illico

DLNA master

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:38 am

As I understand:
PS3 does not support MKV with DTS in native format, so must be remuxed into MPEGTS and use the pass through option of PS3 (DTS will be decode by Home Cinema...)

Today,
There were only two solutions:
- Wait for ffmpeg update that allow remuxing mkv/dts into mpegts/dts on the fly without issues.
- Manually remux the mkv/dts into mpegts/dts with TsMuxer tool and play natively with serviio.
Illico
Sony 2010 KDL-46EX501 | BDP-S373 | SMP-N100 | Windows 8-i7 | Network DD HD-CE1.5TLU2 | Livebox2-UHD86 | ServiiDroid | ServiiGo | BubbleUPnP
Serviio beta tester - Moderator
<<

individual

Serviio lover

Post Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:42 am

ps3 does not support MKV extension. period.
<<

kiki8

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:10 am

nice info, thanx)
<<

Encrypted

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:34 pm

zip wrote:

I'm not really too enthusiastic about that. I'd very much prefer to distribute only 1 transcoder and hope FFmpeg implements it soon.

Thats too bad. Serviio is such a great app, one of its only draw backs is that it doesnt support DTS. This forces a heavy handed forced trancode on almost every HD BD rip out there. This degrades quality and pins most CPU's at a high rate for the entire video.

PS3MS uses the TSmuxer to remux supported audio formats on the fly. This is a great system because almost ALL video formats are natively supported by the PS3 now. What this means is that 99% of all downloaded content does not need to be transcoded at all. Steaming natively gives almost perfect playback almost every time.

It would be worth reconsidering. It would turn Serviio from being a really good app to a great one. Even the Best one.

My 2 Cents...
<<

Cerberus

DLNA master

Post Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:52 pm

Encrypted wrote:
zip wrote:

Thats too bad. Serviio is such a great app, one of its only draw backs is that it doesnt support DTS. This forces a heavy handed forced trancode on almost every HD BD rip out there. This degrades quality and pins most CPU's at a high rate for the entire video.

PS3MS uses the TSmuxer to remux supported audio formats on the fly. This is a great system because almost ALL video formats are natively supported by the PS3 now. What this means is that 99% of all downloaded content does not need to be transcoded at all. Steaming natively gives almost perfect playback almost every time.

It would be worth reconsidering. It would turn Serviio from being a really good app to a great one. Even the Best one.

My 2 Cents...

its already the BEST one ;)
Phil Bennett
Beta Tester Group
Wiki | FAQ

Return to Transcoding