FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Serviio Doesn't Correctly Download Info for TV Episode

<<

Morbius

Streaming enthusiast

Post Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:15 am

Serviio Doesn't Correctly Download Info for TV Episode

I have this SCI-FI series called "Revoloution" (2012). Filename is "Revolution S01E01 tt2403715.mkv"

There is a 14 Part series call "The Revolution" about the American Revolutionary War. The first 14 episodes of "Revolution" get the description for "The Revolution". After episode 14, the descriptions are correct for Revolution.

I tried adding the IMDB TT numbers to each episode - no change

I could not find an alias for "The Revolution" of "Revolution" on either theTVDB.com or TheMovieDB.org that might be mucking it up.

I added "Revolution Evolution" on TheMovieDB.org as an alias because that is what the actual title shows in each episode and renaming the file "Revolution Evolution S01E01 tt2403715.mkv" That didn't work either.

Is SERVIIO ignoring the "The" in "The Revolution" and matching it that way or maybe it is adding "The" in front of "Revolution".

Why doesn't adding the TT numbers from IMDB work?

Please help.
<<

lagunaa

Serviio lover

Post Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:02 am

Re: Serviio Doesn't Correctly Download Info for TV Episode

Morbius wrote:I have this SCI-FI series called "Revoloution" (2012). Filename is "Revolution S01E01 tt2403715.mkv"

According to Serviio Support, your filename should be OK. Had you already try to enable detailed log and inspect the logfile?

Morbius wrote:Why doesn't adding the TT numbers from IMDB work?

Quoting from Serviio Wiki:
Please note that the movie metadata is still searched using themoviedb.org. Therefore the movie has to be present in both, IMBD and TheMovieDB websites.

So, in first place be sure the item is present on TheMovieDB.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:20 pm

When you use the IMDB number, you must only use the overall Series number, not the number for each episode. The correct number for Revoloution is tt0773304. I believe you will have the most success if you create a folder for that series, and add the TT number to the folder name. After that, you should be able to leave the TT number off of each title.

EDIT: looking at IMDB, the only thing with that exactly spelled name is a movie, not a TV series. The TVDB also shows no series with that name. There is a TV series from 2012 named Revolution. It has an a TT number of tt2070791.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Morbius

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:51 am

atc98092 wrote:When you use the IMDB number, you must only use the overall Series number, not the number for each episode. The correct number for Revoloution is tt0773304. I believe you will have the most success if you create a folder for that series, and add the TT number to the folder name. After that, you should be able to leave the TT number off of each title.

EDIT: looking at IMDB, the only thing with that exactly spelled name is a movie, not a TV series. The TVDB also shows no series with that name. There is a TV series from 2012 named Revolution. It has an a TT number of tt2070791.

Exactly what I said ... A SERIES from 2012 named REVOLUTION. I tried adding the TT number from each episode to the episode names and that was a dry hole. Will try adding it to the folder name. Since it is a series and I have no control where the info comes from (movedb.org or tvdb.com) I suspect that making any change to TheMovieDB.org will have any effective consequences.
<<

Morbius

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:03 am

added tt2070791 to the folder name ... that was a dry hole to. Reminds me of the John Wayne quote from a movie about oil well drillers "We're just a pumpin mud"
<<

Morbius

Streaming enthusiast

Post Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:14 am

Too recap for those who aren't reading closely.

There is a Science Fiction TV Series from 2012 titled "Revolution" with two seasons of about 20 episodes each. There is a History TV Series from 2014 titled "The Revolution" with only one season of 14 episodes.

The metadata for the first 14 episodes of Season 1 of "REVOLUTION" ise wrong and contains the metadata from "The Revolution". "Revolution" episodes 15-20? and Season 2 have correct metadata.

I tried putting in the IMDB tt numbers for each individual episode and that did not change the symptoms.

I tried putting in the IMDB tt number for the Series in the folder name and that did not change the symptoms.

The metadata was correct in August-September 2017. Something has changed since then.

I posted over on theTVDB.com about this and they resolutely say that there is no ALIAS or FOREIGN TRANSLATION for the series "The Revolution" that is "Revolution". This was my most likely candidate.

Since this is a TV series and not a movie, I believe that Serviio queries theTVDB.com first and not theMoviedb.org.

In my mind, there are only two possibilities:
1. The data on theTVDB.com has changed - and they say there have been no changes.
2. Serviio software has changed and isn't querying correctly.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:45 pm

Sorry for the title confusion. You had a typo in your first post, and I fixated on it. :oops:

For a TV series, Serviio only uses thetvdb.com, not themoviedb.com. So looking there, I do see the correct title as "Revolution". I had a lot of trouble getting my Hawaii 5-0 files to get the correct metadata, because of the reboot series with the same name. In that case, I had to change the 0 (number) to an O (letter). More recently, I have been recording Bull from my OTA tuner. But it was getting a different show with the same name. I had to use the year in the file name to get that fixed. For that show, I had to name the files like this: "Bull (2016) - S01E01 - The Necklace.mp4".

So, you might try "Revolution (2012) - S01E02 - Chained Heat.mkv" (or whatever file extension you are using). There are programs that can name the file automatically, such as Filebot. It won't put the year in, but it does the rest. And with the full season, episode and title, you might not need the year. But if you do need the year, you won't have so many files that you can't just manually edit it.

This page explains the way to use the IMDB number: http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=imb ... ata_naming

And this page discusses general file naming: http://www.serviio.org/index.php?option ... icle&id=12

But I have a feeling that the suggestion I made above will resolve it. I just named a video file with that name and Serviio identified it correctly.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:48 pm

FWIW thetvdb.com is wrong for a lot of my series. It just doens't have the last season of dragon ball gt and the dragon ball z set I have, the "saban tapes" are not the same order and its very messed up. I am too lazy to make my own metadata or update thetvdb.com but some day lol. It's a free service I mean it is what it is.
<<

Morbius

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:21 pm

atc98092 wrote:Sorry for the title confusion. You had a typo in your first post, and I fixated on it. :oops:

For a TV series, Serviio only uses thetvdb.com, not themoviedb.com. So looking there, I do see the correct title as "Revolution". I had a lot of trouble getting my Hawaii 5-0 files to get the correct metadata, because of the reboot series with the same name. In that case, I had to change the 0 (number) to an O (letter). More recently, I have been recording Bull from my OTA tuner. But it was getting a different show with the same name. I had to use the year in the file name to get that fixed. For that show, I had to name the files like this: "Bull (2016) - S01E01 - The Necklace.mp4".

So, you might try "Revolution (2012) - S01E02 - Chained Heat.mkv" (or whatever file extension you are using). There are programs that can name the file automatically, such as Filebot. It won't put the year in, but it does the rest. And with the full season, episode and title, you might not need the year. But if you do need the year, you won't have so many files that you can't just manually edit it.

This page explains the way to use the IMDB number: http://wiki.serviio.org/doku.php?id=imb ... ata_naming

And this page discusses general file naming: http://www.serviio.org/index.php?option ... icle&id=12

But I have a feeling that the suggestion I made above will resolve it. I just named a video file with that name and Serviio identified it correctly.

Yes .. this works ... TVDB.com is messed up ... wished the curators of that web site were more sensible but they seem to be very hitleristic.
<<

Morbius

Streaming enthusiast

Post Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:25 pm

atc98092 wrote:Sorry for the title confusion. You had a typo in your first post, and I fixated on it. :oops:

Yes .. this works ... TVDB.com is messed up ... wished the curators of that web site were more sensible but they seem to be very hitleristic.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:53 pm

I know this is resolved but I can add some insight perhaps:

Release 1.9.1 of Serviio now uses the new version API for theTVdb.com. Since then there seems to be a change in how the API is returning matches for TV series - it seems to give preference to series with a "The" in front even though there is no "The" in the filename. So in my case:

• The series "The Colony" was returned rather than the correct series "Colony"
  • The series "The Vikings" is returned rather than the correct series "Vikings"
After episode 14, the descriptions are correct for Revolution.
Similar happened to me for "The Vikings" vs "Vikings". This is because "The Revolution" only has 14 episodes - after that, (I assume) the API cant find the match and steps down to its next choice, returning (in these cases) the correct series.

In my case the fix was simple - just added the IMDB number for the service to the folder name (eg: "D:\TV Shows\Vikings [tt2306299]").

Not sure if the API issue is something that zip can code around in Serviio, but if this continues to be an issue for users it may be something that needs to be addressed.
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:53 pm

Please create a bitbucket ticket with the details and I'll look into it.
<<

ritwik45

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:09 am

For TV Series and movies, I suggest you to read this article. You can definitely find more than 20 options to watch TV episodes.
Last edited by ritwik45 on Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:46 pm

ritwik45 wrote:For TV Series and movies, I suggest you to read this article. You can definitely find more than 20 options to watch TV episodes.

Many (most/all) of those sites mentioned either require using a special app or would require a plug-in to work. Crackle, for example had a Serviio plug-in that worked nicely. But then Sony (which owns Crackle) changed the web coding and the plug-in no longer worked and could not be modified to work. The rest of those sites could have the same issue, as they don't want you bypassing any advertisement functionality built into their web application. I suggest you look at the various Plug-ins sub-forums here and see if you can develop one or more. There's a lot of help there. I personally have no experience with building them, but many others do.
Dan

Return to Serviio Support & Help