FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Bug - Force terminating the TCP socket causes 100% CPU usage

<<

yegor

Serviio newbie

Post Thu May 10, 2018 2:35 pm

Bug - Force terminating the TCP socket causes 100% CPU usage

1. Run Serviio server
2. Force terminate the TCP socket with this app: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html
3. ServiioService.exe now consumes 100% of the CPU

This happens on any Windows 7-10 machine.

Windscribe VPN terminates all TCP sockets when the connection is established to prevent leaks, which makes the computer unusable when Serviio is running.
<<

jaqual

Serviio newbie

Post Fri May 11, 2018 8:50 pm

Re: Bug - Force terminating the TCP socket causes 100% CPU u

+1

I've been seeing this bug for a couple of weeks now but I never suspected the TCP issue. I use Windscribe also, and can verify that as soon as the firewall is activated, ServiioService.exe CPU usage goes straight to 99%.
<<

storex

Serviio newbie

Post Sat May 12, 2018 6:59 am

i have the same issue, hoping to for a fix in this thread; windscribe + serviio = 100 cpu
hmm maybe the subject line should be changed so others who also has this problem might find the thread ?
<<

randomcamden

Serviio newbie

Post Mon May 28, 2018 8:46 am

Another victim here of the Windscribe/Serviio combo. Great catch for whoever found the link between the two. This thread came up as #1 on a Google search for "Serviio Windscribe CPU" so was easy to come across.
Looking forward for a fix!
<<

storex

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:26 am

seems like windscribe fixed the problem
<<

eNdEmiOn

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:30 pm

What version of winscribe are you on?
Winscribe (1.82 Build 17) tells me about the problem when it detects any process going wild on cpu usage and offers to turn off "Force terminating the TCP sockets after connecting". I'm not sure you can call that a solution? Leaving a vulnerability open just because serviio isn't handling certain things correctly.

By the way seviio has a rather heavy footprint these days even without this issue. It's almost nonstop between 15-20% cpu usage with spikes well over 30% on my system. I get that it needs to keep the database up to date but really that is quite a lot of energy going into comparing lists. Is this thing secretly mining crypto-currency or something?

I've also seen FFmpeg flipping out in service of serviio. Is that normal? FFmpeg.exe showing up in task manager and directly being terminated again and again... (it stopped when I closed SeviioSevice.exe)

Totally non related but does anyone know what "stop server" really does? I've tried using that a few times when serviio suddenly decided not to update the library anymore. It doesn't doe anything useful I had more success with a batch file stopping and starting Serviio.

If you're interested inside that batch file:
  Code:
net stop Serviio
pause
net start Serviio
pause
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:59 am

By the way...
On my system Serviio sits at 0%-1% when idle. Suggests something is going on, particularly if ffmpeg is also running. Have a look at your detailed log as that may tell you what Serviio is doing. See if there is a media file that its getting stuck on.

"Stop Server" stops the DLNA server, but does not terminate the Serviio process or remove it from memory. While stopped Serviio will no longer listen for DLNA/UPnP messages nor will it obviously respond to them (I've never tested but it probably still keeps the library update process running). Restarting the server, since 1.9.2 I think it was, will also reload the profiles (handy if you have changed them).
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
Please do not PM me for support as any solution cannot be shared with others.
<<

eNdEmiOn

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Right now Serviio is actually behaving itself in task manager. The relatively high cpu usage I was talking about may have been related to me having set my shared folders to the polling mechanism instead of the standard way of keeping track of new files (I wish one could still set the poll interval time). I changed it back to standard yesterday but that comes with it's own issues one being the main reason to set it to polling in a attempt to not having serviio stop updating he library every now and again (as in aprox once a week). Another really annoying side effect of using the standard mechanism is that often when I try to change a file name I get the message "can't do it file open elsewhere in system" took me until recently to realize that behavior was due to serviio's interfering. I should probably open a bug report or something about that.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:28 pm

eNdEmiOn wrote:I wish one could still set the poll interval time
Your wish is granted :D See the serviio.libraryPollerFrequency switch at http://www.serviio.org/component/conten ... ZpY2UiXQ==
DenyAll
Panasonic Viera FX800A | Panasonic Viera CS610A | Sony PS4 | Sony PS3 | Panasonic DMP-BD79 | Yamaha RX-V500D | iPad | Windows 10 | Serviio 1.10.1 Pro
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

eNdEmiOn

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:46 am

I figured there would be an option to do that in the shape of editing some text based config file but I was mostly referring to it used to be available right there with all the other settings in the console. I's rather cumbersome to have to do it the hard way. Your link doesn't even tell me where to go exactly. That info is somewhere else in the FAQ apparently.

Going back and forth bteen the FAQ and the page you linked to it says that I have to add this line to a certain file.

-D<property_name>=<property_value>

Which turns to
-Dserviio.libraryPollerFrequency=15

Is that right? If so I'll set it in case I want to switch back to poller although I hope it doesn't become necessary. And in the meantime I'll stick with my stop / start batch file when files get stuck in "open elsewhere" mode.
<<

DenyAll

DLNA master

Post Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:16 pm

That's correct, but you'll want a bigger number if you want it to be once a week :-)

Didn't post the link to the relevant FAQ page because that information was at the top of the page I provided.... " For a help on how to add or change values of these properties, read F.A.Q." and the FAQ was linked.

We have successfully hijacked this thread so lets not continue here - if you want any further information please start a new topic. Apologies to others for the hijack.
DenyAll
WinHelper | MediaInfo

Beta Tester, Moderator
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:26 am

There is definitely a problem with one of the libraries Serviio uses for http traffic. I was able to reproduce this. It's just very difficult to fix it, and also I'm not sure if it's actually the library or a Java itself.
<<

flarkit

Serviio newbie

Post Mon May 27, 2019 4:45 pm

Has this issue been addressed? I experience 100% CPU usage everytime I connect or disconnect via Windscribe. This is on Win 10 64, with an AMD Ryzen 2600 and 16GB RAM.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Tue May 28, 2019 10:02 am

No it has not been resolved yet.

Return to Serviio Support & Help