FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Image Resolution in Mediabrowser

<<

POLSKA9000

Serviio newbie

Post Sun May 13, 2018 3:14 am

Image Resolution in Mediabrowser

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to increase the image resolution on the mediabrowser. I have it set to High settings in console but I'd like to get the full resolution available. I have tried adding this line into application-profiles.xml under the html5 profile:

<LimitImageResolution>false</LimitImageResolution>

Restarting the serviio service didnt show any changes in image resolution. Is this adjustable?
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun May 13, 2018 3:40 am

Re: Image Resolution in Mediabrowser

Yes it is, but requires changing entries in two different files.

First, in the profiles.xml file (in the config folder). Find the third from last line in the generic profile (the one at the beginning). Notepad++ shows it as line 187. It says
  Code:
<ThumbnailsResolution>DLNA</ThumbnailsResolution>

Change the word DLNA to HD. That's step one.

This improves resolution, but you can make another change and set any resolution you desire. In the Bin folder, there is a file called "ServiioService.exe.vmoptions". This is a simple text file, so you can open it with Notepad or other text editor. You will find a single line in the file:
"-Xmx512m"

Right under that line, add this:
  Code:
-Dserviio.hdThumbnailResolution=1000

The number can be whatever you desire. If I remember correctly, the standard DLNA setting is something like 120. Changing the setting to HD increases it to 320. With mine on 1000, there's little to no pixelization to the images. Don't go crazy with the number, as it makes your database larger (the images are stored in the DB) and there's likely a limit to the resolution of the images available online anyway.

You may need to go into the console and in the Metadata section click "Rescan video metadata" to refresh the images.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:47 pm

The first option works for me, but on a Linux NAS, I can't find the 2nd option of: ServiioService.exe.vmoptions

I believe that it all converts to .sh files in Linux.

I can't find any that resembles "-Xmx512m" in any of the .sh files.....so I can't add anything to set the size anywhere.

Any thoughts on where to add this data to make it work?

Thanks.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:27 pm

there should be JAVA_OPTS variable set in the .sh script somewhere, with a bunch of -D parameters in it. Add your -Dxxxxx=yyyyy parameter to the list
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:09 am

@zip

So here is what I found in serviio.sh

Code:
# Setup Serviio specific properties
JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dorg.restlet.engine.loggerFacadeClass=org.restlet.ext.slf4j.Slf4jLoggerFacade -Dderby.system.home=$SERVIIO_HOME/library -Dserviio.home=$SERVIIO_HOME -Ddcraw.location=dcraw -Dserviio.defaultTranscodeFolder=/volume1/@tmp -Dffmpeg.location=$SERVIIO_HOME/bin/ffmpeg -Dplugins.location=/volume1/public/serviio -Djava.util.prefs.syncInterval=86400"

So does this make sense below?

Code:
# Setup Serviio specific properties
JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dorg.restlet.engine.loggerFacadeClass=org.restlet.ext.slf4j.Slf4jLoggerFacade -Dderby.system.home=$SERVIIO_HOME/library -Dserviio.home=$SERVIIO_HOME -Ddcraw.location=dcraw -Dserviio.defaultTranscodeFolder=/volume1/@tmp -Dffmpeg.location=$SERVIIO_HOME/bin/ffmpeg -Dplugins.location=/volume1/public/serviio -Djava.util.prefs.syncInterval=86400 -Dserviio.hdThumbnailResolution=1000"

Thanks for the info!

Chris
<<

kittmaster

DLNA master

Post Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:06 pm

Just as an FYI, my code change above worked.

I made the change on the NAS, restarted Serviio, rescan the library media, restarted server....gave it some time to index.

I had one image I noticed the original issue of low res, once completed, it was really sharp and clear in mediabrowser.

So this works in my particular case.

Thanks Zip for the help.

Chris

Return to Serviio Support & Help