FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Subtitles problem Philllips

<<

pnv_Creator

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:58 pm

Subtitles problem Philllips

Hello, I am trying to run a video with subtitles on my TV, but the subtitles seem to never be detected.
The TV is Philips (I will provide specific model if needed), but I don't think the problem is in it, since the same video + srt or sub file is properly played if I transfer it via USB, so the problem only appears with Serviio DLNA.

The files are named in the same way, except the extension, I tried also .forced.srt extention. I have "Enable subtitles" checked, as well as "Try to automatically detect subtitle character encoding", and "cyrillic" if the automatic detection fails. The subtitles are not displayed wrongly encoded, they are just not displayed at all and not detected, since I get no option in my TV player for any manipulations with them or choosing subtitles file (this happens when there is no such file detected).

Any idea why Serviio software does not transfer the subtitles or what else could the problem be? My current version is Serviio PRO v 1.9.2, installed today, Win 10 (64 bit). The program looks sweet and everything else works, like playing video, audio and all kinds of settings it allows take effect and are detected by the TV. I remember having similar problem very long ago with Serviio and another TV, which was solved I think by an additional companion app, ran so that the subs can also be displayed. Is this still the case?

I know I can try Burned-in subtitles as well, but I see this as a last resort.
Last edited by pnv_Creator on Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

pnv_Creator

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:11 pm

Re: Cyrillic subtitles problem

Great, "We provide support only in the forum, don't bother us on forms and email" and in the forum there is no dev response...
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:19 am

There's only one dev, and he's based in London, UK. With the weekend and time zone differences, you can't expect an immediate response. I don't know what information he's want to have, but a copy of one of your SRT files might help. I have no experience with SRT files, so I can't offer any assistance myself.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:26 am

FWIW english srt for me is not working either :(

EDIT: It works in some scenarios not others

works
  • Media browser on android

Doesn't work
  • Mediabrowser to chromecast
  • Serviigo to chromecast
  • Localcast to chromecast

Also I got the new Serviigo beta but didn't see it in play store. Shouldn't say where I got it :mrgreen: but why did it vanish from play store thats weird.

As to OP: Yes support on serviio is slow but good and no other dev that I am aware of takes personal time to deal with each problem. He'll be here, it is the weekend after all.
<<

pnv_Creator

Serviio newbie

Post Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:53 pm

Ok, impressive work for 1 dev, then. I remain on stand by to provide any technical details, if needed.
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:20 pm

It's entirely possible that Phillips doesn't support srt subtitles via DLNA. Actually, most renderers don't , as it's not a DLNA standard.

Burned-in subtitles might be the only way.
<<

pnv_Creator

Serviio newbie

Post Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:20 am

That seems extremely unlikely, considering the whole Delivery>Subtitles section in Serviio console and this page:
http://serviio.org/index.php?option=com ... icle&id=33
<<

zip

Serviio developer / Site Admin

Post Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:55 am

why unlikely?

the linked page say it literally as the first thing:

Some of the devices support subtitles out-of-the box, delivered as a text file. Some devices do not have any support for subtitles and require them to be burned into the video stream (hardsubs), thus effectively transcoding the video with the text on the screen.
<<

pnv_Creator

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:09 pm

You are going to laugh, but I thought you wrote "Phillip" and decided that this is the name of the developer...
I just didn't think the TV may not support the file, since it works via USB. It is possible that it is not supported by Phillips, yes. I couldn't find any official info on that.

I will test with few other DLNA sw, then I will check what happens with burnt-in subtitles - I've heard that affects the quality of the video, I don't know if it is true.
<<

pnv_Creator

Serviio newbie

Post Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:10 pm

Re: Subtitles problem Philllips

Plex couldn't play the subtitles too, so it seems it is an issue with the DLNA support of the TV.

Burnt-in subtitles seem to work, though with some issues - the first time I try to play a movie, I get an error and afterwards if I try to fast forward, after I while (probably when the buffered video+subs is surpassed), the movie freezes with no recovery possible and I have to restart it.
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:10 am

I guess just because something plays via usb is no indication dlna will work.
<<

pnv_Creator

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:28 pm

Indeed, that's what it turns out, but it still just seems odd to support establishing a connection and transferring data, to support playing subtitles, but not to support transferring and playing subtitles... There are definitely no technical problems to do it and UX wise it is a major feature, my much older and cheaper TV from another brand supported it.
<<

freaknik

DLNA master

Post Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:38 pm

yea same here, my bluray and phone support it (srt) but chromecast doesn 't.

I agree seems so basic, wish I knew how to make tv's LOL.

You can re encode to burn in the srt for each movie with ffmpeg but i am too lazy.
<<

throatytexas66

Serviio newbie

Post Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:20 am

the only solution I found was to merge the video file and the srt file in a new mkv file (using MKVToolNix)

its boring do this with each file, but it works great on phillips tv, and I don't use mi PC for transcode.

Return to Serviio Support & Help