FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

MAP DEVICES ON NON STATIC IP NETWORK

<<

STORMTIGERS

Serviio newbie

Post Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:54 pm

MAP DEVICES ON NON STATIC IP NETWORK

Title says it all, and pardon me if there is already a solution.
Being able to map a device using say its MAC address would mean it retains its settings in an environment where the IP can change.
Twonky and Serviio from what I can see at the user level looks at the IP primarily.
So when that changes, the already set security for that address needs to be reset if required and the new address altered to its previous settings.
My DLink router uses mac address for enforcement of parental control blackout times.
Could such a method be used in Serviio as well ?
<<

STORMTIGERS

Serviio newbie

Post Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:09 am

Re: MAP DEVICES ON NON STATIC IP NETWORK

Okay I have seen a response on another post of mine on this, and the MAC address side of things may not be easy.

Wondering though if you could add some sort of sort facility on the displayed connections so that it could be sorted by IP address.
Currently they seem to be in order of connection
OR
Sorted by Connection Status.

This probably sounds insignificant BUT even in my house with multiple TV's, Tablets, Phones, Laptops, Media playback devices it is difficult trying to establish who is who on which device when the only identity is a fluctuating IP address.

The relevance is if your trying to enact limited access to some and unlimited to others knowing who is on what port would make it easier to set the appropriate restrictions.

Just a thought - tell me if I am not understanding the way it works (I am a newbie so to speak)

Cheers
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:51 pm

The current status tab in the console does sort by IP address, and you are correct that you can't sort by the other columns. One thing you can do is to edit what is shown in the Device Name column. I use that to help separate my different Roku players, since by default the all just say "Roku Media Player". If you open a device in the console for editing, you can enter whatever you like in the "Device Friendly Name" box. For example, I have "Family Room Ultra" for one, another says "Sharp Roku TV", etc. Of course, if the IP address changes, then the description is no longer accurate. My DHCP server is set for a 24 hour expiration period, and all of my players are usually power cycled at least once per day. My DSL router is also configured to create an IP address reservation when a new device connects, so they always keep the same address anyway.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents
<<

Paul C

DLNA master

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:13 am

Many of my devices have fixed IP addresses but this is not suitable for mobile devices.
My status page is a complete mess.

Some method that
1. retains device identification, the MAC address seems to be the obvious way
2. maintains the device profile assigned to any device across upgrades etc.
is required.
Serviio Pro v2.3, DBpoweramp & Asset UPnP (R7.4), HP Elitebook, HP Pavilion, Windows 10 Pro, Linn Majik DS/1, NEET AirstreamPro renderer, Naim NAC72/NAP140 (x2), Celestion Ditton 25 and Spendor A5 speakers, WD TV Media Player (x2), Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BDT360, Panasonic TV, Amazon Fire 7 HDX, Kazoo & BubbleUPnP apps, Qobuz Studio Hi-Res.
<<

atc98092

DLNA master

Post Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:16 pm

Paul C wrote:Many of my devices have fixed IP addresses but this is not suitable for mobile devices.
My status page is a complete mess.

Some method that
1. retains device identification, the MAC address seems to be the obvious way
2. maintains the device profile assigned to any device across upgrades etc.
is required.

You might check your router and see if it's capable of creating an IP address reservation for your devices when they request a DHCP address. My Actiontec DSL router does, so my devices always have the same IP address, without me having to set up a reservation for each device. But I agree that it would be great to be able to use the MAC address in place of the IP address.
Dan

LG NANO85 4K TV, Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Premiere and Stick, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha RX-V583 AVR.
Primary server: Intel i5-6400, 16 gig ram, Windows 10 Pro, 22 TB hard drive space | Test server Windows 10 Pro, AMD Phenom II X4 965, 8 gig ram

HOWTO: Enable debug logging HOWTO: Identify media file contents

Return to Feature requests